How often do you wear a seat belt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally watched a driver in a Camaro do a complete somersault (legs bent),then squeeze out of the 1/2 rolled down driver window after clipping the back of a dump truck while trying to make a left hand turn.Never would have believed it could be possible.

All the time if I am on the road. Moving cars around and such, no.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
100%.

I have seen a person dead with a belt on... Teenage kids running from the law barrel rolled his car. His head smashed through passenger's side window. Cerebral cortex was out from forehead, obviously fixed and dilated, and gone for good. All for a bunch of nothing. Stupid stuff.

I always want to meet the trooper than has never unbuckled a dead body, because they don't work the street much.
I unfortunately have made several in my years that I worked EMS, and still see a few in the ER.
But wearing one greatly reduces that risk.

If you ever have someone say they will just put their arms out in front of them, tell them to run as fast as they can into a brick wall, and just put their arms out in front at the last second to "catch themselves". They will give you a blank stare, and every once in a while, they get it.

I'll confess to 95% of the time. If I'm really hot and close to home, I sometimes won't put it on.

100% of the time. When I was a cop it was maybe 50% of the time, which sounds terrible, but you need to bail out of a car so fast, so often, that the seat belt gets in the way.

seatbelts are part of the safety system working together with modern airbags. They work off of each other

having the body in a specific position greatly increases the effectiveness of the airbags and vice versa.

All the time. Older sister was in a wreck and she walked away without a scratch since she had her seatbelt on. Both cars totalled. Other driver didn't have her seatbelt on, and took out the passenger window with her head. After that my family started wearing our seatbelts regularly.

100%.

One accident will be enough to prove to you how great a seatbelt is. If you have one and have seatbelt bruises to prove it, you will be thankful to be alive. Trust me. Its also not only about your driving, its also the others on the road.

Remember as a three or four year old in the late forties. I had a little suction cup mounted steering wheel that stuck on the steel dash. Used to sit on my mother's lap-- with a steel spike (pushed into a plastic wheel) aimed directly at my heart. Those were the days!

100% of the time - such a habit I will even click it on after I collect the mail at my mail area and drive the final 500' to my parking space.

Even before passenger belt minders were a thing I would pest non seat-belt wearing passengers into putting a seat belt on within 1/4 mile. Anyone in my car must wear a belt even if you are an adult, if you think I am joking and not serious I will pull the car over and let you out to walk. Only had 1 friend make me do that......he ended up putting his seat-belt on when I pulled into a parking lot and told him to get out and walk the rest of the way. Not an option in my car even if I am trying to haul 5 around, the 3 in the back better be ok with hands touching butts to get the seat-belts buckled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back