How Often Do You Rotate Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
Since I've started replacing tires in 4 instead of 2, I've followed the shops 5,000mi interval for tire rotation so I can get equal wear across 4 tires when it comes for replacement.

My first 4 tires installed on a 02 Chevy Silverado-Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas lasted 5 years - ~60,000mi with equal wear on all 4 tires.
Outer-----Inner.
2VPrjbv.jpg

There’s some suspension issues there...

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
There’s some suspension issues there...

Not sure if it was related to the bad lower balljoints, tons of city driving, or excessive turning on rough concrete. I've checked and replaced suspension and steering components prior to getting new tires.

I aim for 5k and get about 40k life out of a set of tires. It's an easy number to remember. On my FWD's the fronts wear pretty fast otherwise. On my truck I think 10k is ok though.

Can't remember ever rotating the tires on any vehicle I've ever owned. I do pay attention to the wear pattern, but it's usually quite even. If it isn't there is probably a deeper problem. You couldn't pay me to let a "tire shop" touch my wheels.

I think this is a pretty outdated practice, for antique cars with antique tires. Unless you have a habit of burning rubber with the drive tires.

Every 5k on the Mountaineer (AWD) with OCI's. I do a 5-tire rotation using a matching spare to maximize tire set life.

New-ish tires on the Focus, never rotate due to the fact that they're directional and the camber on that car is strange.

Originally Posted By: 93cruiser
Seen multiple posts about putting better tires with more tread in the front. Sounds weird, but you want the better tires in the back, even in a front wheel drive vehicle.

Sounds counter intuitive but tire makers and experts in related issues agree with you.
But try telling people they should do that and many will look at you like just landed from outer space.

I never rotate tires, if any are wearing oddly I address the reason why. I don't like to have four tires all nearly due replacement onmy cars.

Claud.

Don't know how you guys avoid tire rotations. My FWD cars are murder on the fronts. My first RWD vehicle seems to have more even wear--are you guys either driving RWD or just really gentle drivers? or live on dead straight roads? I get 35-40k from tires and 100k+ from brakes, usually, so I don't think we drive that hard.

10k. I used to do 3700 to 5k religiously but it's just not worth it. Your suspension is more important, you get about the same mileage whether you rotate 5k or 10k and so I go 10k.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supton
Don't know how you guys avoid tire rotations. My FWD cars are murder on the fronts. My first RWD vehicle seems to have more even wear--are you guys either driving RWD or just really gentle drivers? or live on dead straight roads? I get 35-40k from tires and 100k+ from brakes, usually, so I don't think we drive that hard.

So replace the fronts when they are worn, and the same for the rears. My wife's fwd Peugeot usually wore out its fronts around 25k miles, the rears maybe 60k. This was in daily use as a cab.

Claud.

Originally Posted By: Claud
Seen multiple posts about putting better tires with more tread in the front. Sounds weird, but you want the better tires in the back, even in a front wheel drive vehicle.

Sounds counter intuitive but tire makers and experts in related issues agree with you.
But try telling people they should do that and many will look at you like just landed from outer space.

I never rotate tires, if any are wearing oddly I address the reason why. I don't like to have four tires all nearly due replacement onmy cars.

Claud.

So you feel better wearing down your fronts while having 3/4 tread on the rear? Over 10k miles or so the difference in wear shouldn't be enough to make the car unsafe.

I think you might be onto something. If normal driving practices and vehicles aligned wear should be minimal

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Claud.

So you feel better wearing down your fronts while having 3/4 tread on the rear? Over 10k miles or so the difference in wear shouldn't be enough to make the car unsafe.

Ain't got any pickups on that side of the lake. Regular tire rotations is what keeps my truck tires wearing evenly. If not the rear sees center wear and the front (note ifs) wears on the outer edge. And it's not due to bad alignment it's just the nature of the beast.

So replace the fronts when they are worn, and the same for the rears. My wife's fwd Peugeot usually wore out its fronts around 25k miles, the rears maybe 60k. This was in daily use as a cab.

Claud.

I don't think there is a difference either way.

Currently I'd guess my fronts wear twice the rate of the rear, and I get 40k per set. So, I figure: 1 = 20kmiles * Rate + 20kmiles * Rate/2, where 1 is full usage of tire, Rate is rate of wear, and 20k is miles spent on either axle. I get 3.3%/kmile of wear on the fronts (half that for the rear). None too surprisingly, that is 30k on the front, 60k on the rear, if no rotates are done.

Now, let's say I'll drive from 0 to 200k. I'll buy tires at 40, 80, 120, 160 for 4 sets, if I want to sell the car with bald tires. 5 if I want to sell it quickly.

Now, let's say I do as you do. You buy a pair at 30k, a set at 60k, pair at 90k, etc. You buy the last set at 188k, for 4.5 sets of tires. Granted, you still have 10k of life left in the fronts at 200k.

Only, stateside, if I have a tire shop do it, they will put new tires on the rear, always. And if it was me doing it, I'd do likewise. For reasons long hashed out here. YMMV, of course. So, going off that, I find I need a pair at 30k, 45k, 68k, 87k, 108k, then ever 20k after that. I come up with... 4.5 sets, with the last pair going on at 188k.

Maybe this is the example that doesn't work, I dunno.

Claud.

So at 50k miles your putting brand new fronts on with 4/32 rears? Wouldn't work so good here with snow, and if it took you years to wear out the rears they probably wouldn't have very good wet grip either.
I seem to get 4-5 years out of my snows, and 5-6 years out of my all seasons, so rotating them and replacing them as a set is the only way to run.

Claud.

So at 50k miles your putting brand new fronts on with 4/32 rears? Wouldn't work so good here with snow, and if it took you years to wear out the rears they probably wouldn't have very good wet grip either.
I seem to get 4-5 years out of my snows, and 5-6 years out of my all seasons, so rotating them and replacing them as a set is the only way to run.

Clearly it isn't the only way to run, my wifes car is still running strong at 250k+ miles. But if you prefer your way, then it's all good.

Claud.

Claud.

Clearly it isn't the only way to run, my wifes car is still running strong at 250k+ miles. But if you prefer your way, then it's all good.

Claud.

I should've added "in my climate and usage". But without snow and doing more miles per year, I can see how replacing tires in pairs could work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back