How often do you change spark plugs?

Our 2004 X3 called for a plug change at 100k, but I think I waited to 125k or so; they were still in decent shape but I decided not to tempt fate.

My Kia is at 50k miles now, the manual says change at 100k miles.
I know that some folks change it earlier, some just follow the book.
What do you guys think?

Hi SlavaB,

I always did mine right around 50K for the turbo and 100K for the NA in the Kia/Hyundai vehicles. Nice clean, simple job.

The way coils are setup now, you will "never" feel or sense a miss due to spark plugs wearing out. The coil
will just produced extra charge to make the spark jump the wider gap. You will just stress out the coils and end
up with a very high spark plug replacement costs.

I change mine at around 75% of factory spec and only use the same type/brand of plug that came with the car
originally. And I ONLY purchase the plugs from the dealer. Too many fakes out here.

Changed mine at 7 years/41,000 miles. One of the four was really stuck in there. Heavy soot on the top of the ceramic on all four but the electrodes were fine.

I change a little early. If OEM recommends 100k mile interval, I will do 70k-80k. My thoughts are as the plugs wear the coils and other ignition components are working harder and plugs are cheaper than those components. That and the chance of getting the plugs out a little easier.

My current vehicles all call for 100k mile intervals. I change them anywhere between 60 and 100k. I tend to error on the early side based on plugs being stuck in my Ford 3V V8 motors... I did just over 60k on my current F150 with the 2.7 - and they could have stayed in there for many more miles - they came out looking almost new...

My wife's subaru crosstrek FB2.0 calls for 60K.
On Ruthenium plugs that cost 19 bucks each?
Im thinking Subaru is throwing a bone to their dealers service dept
Or they just didn't update the interval from the old Platinum plug spec.

Maybe at 90K, I'll think about it.

Actually I'm hoping she will trade the car so I dont have to :)
Not an easy job - but not a Mitsubishi 3000GT job either !

I changed them on the Xterra when I bought it, I'm glad I did. The engine was timed incorrectly at some point and would ping until the knock sensor killed timing/boost. The plugs looked to be original by how tight they were.

1602088889564.png

Normally 90-100k miles unless doing something that makes it much easier. Changed my 5.4l triton plugs pretty early because the intake was off. Hope it’s the last time they are ever done.

Change every 2 yrs on my 83 Silverado 305, have to give it a full tuneup in order to pass the dreaded smog test 😭

My Kia is at 50k miles now, the manual says change at 100k miles.
I know that some folks change it earlier, some just follow the book.
What do you guys think?

I just sold recently my Sonata 2.4, very similar to your 2.4, both Theta II GDI engines. I changed my plugs at 78K and they didn't look like they needed to be changed, and I didn't notice any difference in the operation of the engine. I changed them because I was working on other stuff on the vehicle and changing the plugs is super easy on this engine, just pull the engine cover, pull the coils, and change the plugs. You don't even have to disconnect the coils from the wiring harness, just pull them out and lay them to the side.

I did the plugs on my wife's' 2014 Town and Country at 80,000 miles and was glad I did. They were showing wear and damage, but I cannot say that the new one's have made much of a difference in mileage or drivablity, after a month or so of driving.

They probably would have gone 100,000 miles, but man, they looked rough.

When the manufactures recommends.
QFT

I installed some NGK Iridiums several years ago and thought (since they were "Iridiums") they were good for 100,000 miles. Unfortunately, they were the Iridium IX models that only have iridium on the center electrode. I happened to pull them at around 80,000 miles to find the ground electrode had a large divot worn into it.

Checking the NGK page, sure enough, they recommend changing the IX plugs at roughly 50,000 miles.

Sometimes, it pays to read the manual ;)

I'm a low mileage driver, so I change at 10 years, to ensure they come out easily.
My last 2006 Toyota Matrix that was ~60K miles.
You can see one in my profile image.

All my cars except one have copper plugs (by choice), I change those every 36k. Basically because they're stupid easy to replace and it fits well with some other maintenance I do every 36k.

On my Pacifica I used E3 plugs that claim to last 100k (they were on closeout at Rockauto).. I'll probably change those at 70k or before because most reviews state the plugs are pretty well wore long before 100k. After that it'll get platinum or iridium plugs and change every 100k, since that plug change is more of a chore since the intake has to come off.

Back