How often do I change the filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm used to manuals, so this is something that has been bugging me. I have a 2006 silverado 2WD with 48000 miles on it. The transmission was serviced by the dealership at 29000 miles using the MOC transfer machine. I don't know too much about what it really does other than exchanges the fluid.

My question now is should I change the filter or just do a fluid exchange with new Dexron VI?

How often should I drop the pan and change the filter in this truck?

Call me old school, but if it has a filter (some automatics don't) I'd change it when I change the fluid. A lot of folks seem content to just replace the fluid. That takes less time and avoids most of the mess.

Throw in a Magnefine inline filter or a remote filter and then forget about ever changing the filter in the pan. Also the filter in the pan can be felt, paper or a metal screen. If its a metal screen no need to ever change it. If its paper or felt and you have never changed it, then get it change and then install an external filter.

The machine they used should have done a good job of exchanging all the old ATF with new (which you can do yourself also) ATF but cannot clean the filter much. It might clean some sludge on the filter via new ATF going through the filter, but any metal or clutch materials will stay in the filter.

mike - Change your filter this time. Get her sealed up real nice, and then a Magnefine in line would be all you need for the future. [except for fluid changes].

The magnefine sure does sound like a good idea. Anyone know what size transmission hoses this truck uses? 3/8" or 1/2"?

The 4L60Es I've changed ATF on were around 3/8" on the hoses, but that might vary by vehicle. In regards to the trans filter under the pan, I like to change this type around 50-60Kmi and that's about it. If it was still humming along at 150K+mi, maybe I'd change it again.

Joel

Thanks for the suggestions and help. Really appreciated. I'm in Florida, so I'll be waiting for the weather to get cooler before I do it (it's still in the 80s).

Any recommendations on which brand of filter to purchase?

You can email the Magnefine sponsor and ask him. I would bet 3/8". That is what my 94 4 cyl Camry took.

Just remember to mount it in return line and the arrow on the filter goes with the flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back