How often are you cleaning your throttle bodies and what method?

On the Tacoma I clean the TB/MAF when doing plugs, usually every 100k. Quality air filters are important. I will do a quick clean on the TB if I have the intake apart for some reason.
On the Corvette, hardly ever. Done it once in the last 6 years, just because...? Didn't notice a difference but it always ran great.

I took a 2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 in trade from my niece a year or so ago for a 2008 Dodge Caravan.

The truck had a few miles, but I don’t think it was maintained beyond oil changes (at least) and filling it with fuel. Loaded with warning lights, very bad repairs (by her brother-in-law, who was allegedly a service tech at a local Chrysler dealer; that’s a whole different horror story), and a low, stumbling idle.

I grabbed my can of throttle cleaner and doused it thoroughly and cleaned with a rag. Fixed the other (many, many) issues, and the truck ran great - so much so she and a new husband came back this year and bought it back. 😜

Picked up a 95' F150 with a 5.0 in July of 2018 that has the EGR right behind the TB on the intake. Had a weird hesitation issue I was tracing and found the TPS sensor gone bad. Removed the TB to replace it and found a very caked up TB opening on the upper intake and the back of the TB had very heavy carbon build up as well. It took 2 cans of TB cleaner and a wire brush and finally sand paper to get most of it off. Their is a hole between the upper and lower TB opening on the intake that was completely closed due to carbon.
20200903_152011(1).jpg

20200906_152410.jpg

I clean the TB when I have to remove it to access something else. I spray it with something and then wipe it off.

As needed, IME if you use good gas/oil and the PCV system is in good shape, there isn’t a need to. The Critic told me on some cars, especially Nissans cleaning the throttle body might cause more harm than good.

My Prius has a tendency to pool oil in the plenum, which is a common malady in these. A spritz of B12 Chemtool fixes that.

Last time I did one it was part of a head gasket replacement. I find that to really get it clean, it's best to have to removed, and I already had it out of the car.

The pictures whytstang2 posted above are hairy.

I was told some PCV systems will have oil vapors in them upon shutdown.
These vapors can linger and condense in/on the throttle body/plate.
If nothing else, routine inspection is called for.

Odd, no stories of plastic toothbrushes dissolving away whilst cleaning.

As topic stated!!!
I cleaned my 2005 Silverado 4.8 throttle body this year at around 192k miles. First time it's ever been done I believe. It had no issues prior and wasn't as dirty as I expected but it was time to do it I figured. I also cleaned the maf same time which also appeared clean. Only possible improvement is less stumbling at idle which was only noticeable while standing near the tailpipe at idle it would occasionally stumble. It idles a ton for work.

Depends on the car.

those with direct crankcase->intake tubes with lousy/nonexistent pcv valves can have severe oil buildup on the butterfly. Catch can solves that of course but also high maintenance.

A few thoughts. Older cars have an idle air control valve close to the throttle body that diverts air around the TB at idle (because the throttle is at zero and there would be no air going to the engine otherwise). That's why everyone's idle improved after cleaning the TB.

Newer cars have electronic throttles that obviate the need for an IACV. However, you need to disconnect the battery when messing with an electronic TB because they can activate and take your finger off and because the ECU needs to keep track of the actual position versus the commanded position. If you push the butterfly valve randomly, you may get a code or damage the TB.

Newer TB also have coatings that apparently are vulnerable so you have to use a purpose made TB cleaner.

I clean my TB every three years. I swap the brake fluid and transmission fluid on that schedule so it doesn't hurt to pull the TB and MAF off for a quick cleaning. The edges and back of the butterfly valve plate have been gross but nothing that would affect performance.

Back