How Much Would You Pay For This Car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a pre-purchase inspection done on a car that I was going to buy.

The owner told me that for an old car "there are no major issues."

In addition to what was found in the inspection, the clutch sticks, the RF seatbelt buckle doesn't work, the RF seat won't slide, and the LR door has a broken door lock actuator.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...I0&hl=en_US

Looks like it would've been more than just a weekend or two of work.
lol.gif

- Critic

Last edited:
So everything is leaking and it needs a suspension overhaul and engine/tranny mounts. Id say pass.

I think if they would have just gave you a list of things that were good on the car you would have a much shorter list!! You would have to pay me to take it but id never own a German car anyway

Yeah I gave it a quick look over myself in the dark and knew it had a valve cover leak, a wheel bearing issue and needed some routine maintenance, but I didn't know that just about EVERYTHING was toast.

Now could I have paid a Firestone $20 for their "complete vehicle inspection" to find out the same stuff? I don't know...probably not.

Probably was $127 well spent.

Originally Posted By: JTK
IMO, it doesn't look bad for a 25yr/old car. $1200 maybe?

Well, it's a 25 yr old car that over the years, has not seen the proper attention to maintenance and repairs. I originally was going to pay $1100 but after seeing this, $500 was my offer, tops. The shop was the one who actually suggested that I pay $500 for it at best.

You only want it to learn how to drive a standard - Why don't you just rent it for a couple of weekends? I had a co-worker who used new-car test drives to teach his son. I mean, how long do you really need it?

On the other hand, there were all those forum members who thought it was a timeless classic that would always have value and a line of buyers.....

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
You only want it to learn how to drive a standard - Why don't you just rent it for a couple of weekends? I had a co-worker who used new-car test drives to teach his son. I mean, how long do you really need it?

I don't know if I would feel safe driving it, knowing that the tie rods are loose and the rear brakes are gone.

Any pics of the car? Hows the exterior? Rust? If the exterior is in decent shape Id say put some money into it. Theyre good cars depending on previous owner and maintenance. Timing belt/major service/cooling system service/brakes is easy $2k, but if you can get it for under 1000 it might be a good car for you. The OE shocks can wait a little, Id do major safety concerns like brakes or bushings/balljoint, and driveability concerns like t belt and major service before shocks/mounts and exhaust. Pats are widely available if you DIY, my supplier shows about 20 different rotors and pads for the front brakes, not that expensive either.

It would have to have a REAL straight body to get anywhere near $750 out of me. Dent free, rust free, with no prior accident damage. But even then, it would be more of a hobby car than road ready right away.

I just don't see that being more than a couple hundred dollar car

What's a maintained version of the same car go for in your area? $2-3k?
I see the odd old rust free bmw for sale up here with a collection of receipts showing half that stuff replaced in the last couple years for $2-3k.
As an investment I don't think you'd ever get the cost of parts out of it, but maybe if you want an autocross or track beater it could be a worthwhile project if you want one. Scrap price plus $100 sounds fair for it.

It's a 25-year-old BMW. What did you expect? I mean, heck, mine's 9 years old and has half the miles, and I've had a ton of leaks from all over and had to do suspension work, in addition to a bunch of electrical/electronics work, and believe me, I don't spare money to maintain it.

If you want a car like that in mint condition, be prepared to pay $5k, not $500 or $1000.

Originally Posted By: JTK
IMO, it doesn't look bad for a 25yr/old car. $1200 maybe?

Agree. Having a bunch of older cars, including an e30, some of these things look somewhat familiar.

For a weekend project, even with no AC, in that climate I'd be ok with it. If it passes smog, I'd run it, wait for a good cat-back, etc..

I'd probably offer $800-1000 for the car of the body is totally rust free.

I think it would be a fun project, of looking for a project...

Is it just me or do Bimmer suspensions seem to go early. Both my buddy and my sister in law have early 2000 model 3-series, and they have had to do suspension work. I guess it doesn't help that we live in pothole city, I mean nyc,...

Agreed, buying an E30 BMW would be something one does because they enjoy working on cars. It would be akin to a Triumph motorcycle. It's special because most people can't just go buy one and expect to drive it daily for years on end. A 2001 Corolla probably costs less, would be tons more reliable, and if you put half the work into that it would be a better driver to boot. But nobody would look twice at that, and certainly not ask you about it.

Top Gear had an episode where all three bought an E30. That pretty much convinced me not to buy one... though I thought the episode was fantastic.

Edit... in fairness it didn't convince me not to buy an E30 specifically, but reminded me that I don't have time to care for any 25 year old car.... and that their performance probably wouldn't be better than my current car. Really, if you're not going to take care of it it's probably not worth having. I thought a circa 2000 Lexus IS300 or 90's Mustang would be cool too. Third kid on the way... nevermind.

Last edited:
I am capable of working on it, but I only have time to (and can only get away with) working on it at night when it's 35F out. I was looking for a beater to learn stick on that I would have to put some work into, but I am not sure if I'm ready for this amount of work at this time.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I am capable of working on it, but I only have time to (and can only get away with) working on it at night when it's 35F out. I was looking for a beater to learn stick on that I would have to put some work into, but I am not sure if I'm ready for this amount of work at this time.

Sounds like you know what to do.

There are plenty of good 5 speeds out there that won't give you the headache of a 2 x decade old E30.
--And I am a BMW guy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back