How Much Should I Spend On A OBD Code Reader ?

With as much crap as these new cars have, you would think they would have a built-in reader that would automatically display and analyze the code on the screen.

And tell you the correct course of action. And in the process eliminate the whole "Check Engine" light thing.

A basic code reader you can get for $20 at Walmart,and it will be fine if all you need to do is see the codes and clear them if needed.

For something more advanced, get a used scan tool on eBay. They cost less then their brand new counterparts. I spend $70 a used code reader that cost over $200 new. I needed one to read transmission temperature, which is why I got it.
Yes sir…I purchased my scan tool at Walmart, $20 and it gets the job done.

Personally my cap is about 80 dollars. I have a couple different setups I use depending on situation.
My preference is the laptop because of the larger screen and more data displayed. But I also do like the handheld for quick connects.
The handheld was about 80 or 100 dollars used while the odb-2 software running on an old windows 11 laptop was about $50 with data connector.
IMG_0993.jpeg
IMG_1925.jpeg
IMG_1927.jpeg
IMG_1930.jpeg

IMG_1929.jpeg

With as much crap as these new cars have, you would think they would have a built-in reader that would automatically display and analyze the code on the screen.

And tell you the correct course of action. And in the process eliminate the whole "Check Engine" light thing.
My 1989 Buick Riviera did. It was directional, too.

Not practical or advisable when it won't be helpful to 90% of vehicle owners.

Without going through all of the, "Hate Scotty" crap, I found this interesting. I didn't know you could do this. He gives links where to buy everything..... Except the resistor.

Last edited:
You already bought one but I was going to recommend for wireless either Bluedriver or I have a Veepeak Ble+ that was $45. I use OBD fusion app

I watched one of Scotty’s videos and liked his review on Cgsulit sc201, not a bad one for $39

As another poster said, look on eBay. I got an Innova 5410 for $90 on eBay, does srs, abs

Mine came early this afternoon. 3 days early. Overall it looks like a nice unit. We'll see. It's not too clear about setting up the vehicle before running the code tests. I'm assuming it should be run well up to operating temperature, for things like O2 sensors and such to read correctly off a hot CAT.

It says something about not having the vehicle running while doing the actual tests. Just plug in to the harness, then place the ignition switch in the "ON" position, with the vehicle not running. Or 2 presses of the "START" button with your foot off the brake. It does have to ability to clear codes easily.

I've never used one before. So we'll see how big of a "learning curve" is involved with these things. Looks to be a lot of cursoring around and "Entering".

Yes, most you just plug in and have the car in the on position (lights on dash come on but motor off). You can have the motor running to read live data on 02 sensors and what not to see the graph but I don’t know how to read all that or what it is supposed to be.

I’m somewhat new to them as well. I just wanted one just to have to read basic codes. The Veepeak one with the obdfusion app is all I really need, but like I said, I watched the one video Scotty had on his channel where he was talking about the $35 one and the uses for it so I said what the heck and spent the (now) $39 on it. Granted the Veepeak does the same think just a different layout using the phone app.

I was looking at the Zurich ones from HF but had put in a bid of $90 on eBay for the Innova 5410, I honestly thought I was going to be outbid since it is around a $200 scanner but I was the only bidder. I didn’t need it but wanted it.

This was the video he had posted that made me want to get the $39 one. Some of his videos are kinda ridiculous but some are decent

Some of his videos are kinda ridiculous but some are decent
I've noticed that with A LOT of these videos trying to explain the use of these things. Most explain nothing, and consist of some guy just running through everything as fast as they can, while explaining nothing about what they are doing, or why.

It's as if they're trying to impress you with what they don't know. All while pushing buttons, and running their mouth as fast as they can.

To look at trouble codes and erase them, only the ignition needs to be on without starting the engine. If the scanner reads live data, then the engine needs to be running. Always plug and unplug the scanner from the OBD2 port when the ignition is off.

Last edited:
If you erase a code that pertains to say a bad oxygen sensor, or some other part. Won't it keep sensing that the part is "bad", and keep illuminating the check engine light, regardless of how many times you cancel it?

If you erase a code that pertains to say a bad oxygen sensor, or some other part. Won't it keep sensing that the part is "bad", and keep illuminating the check engine light, regardless of how many times you cancel it?
Yep, if you erase a stored trouble code and it resets the next time you drive the vehicle, then there's an active problem going on that keeps resetting the code. If the code doesn't reset, then it was an intermittent glitch.

If you erase a stored trouble code and it resets the next time you drive the vehicle, then there's an active problem going on that keeps resetting the code. If the code doesn't reset, then it was an intermittent glitch.
I ask because I read that using a fuel system treatment can trigger these things. I put in a can of Gumout Multi System PEA Cleaner the last time I filled up. So I can't help but wonder if that might have caused it?

I'll find out after the wife comes home from shopping later this morning. It should be good and hot by then, and that's when I'll plug it in and see what it comes up with.

I ask because I read that using a fuel system treatment can trigger these things. I put in a can of Gumout Multi System PEA Cleaner the last time I filled up. So I can't help but wonder if that might have caused it?
Don't know, but I've never had a check engine light come on, or any O2 sensor codes while running a fuel system cleaner (Redline SI-1, Techron, Gumout Regane). Have you read any codes with the scanner yet? Once you see a code, then you can home in on the issue.

Don't know, but I've never had a check engine light come on, or any O2 sensor codes while running a fuel system cleaner (Redline SI-1, Techron, Gumout Regane). Have you read any codes with the scanner yet? Once you see a code, then you can home in on the issue.
Not yet. I will this morning. I'll let you know what I come up with. I've run the Gumout in all of my vehicles several times before. All without an issue. So I don't think that's causing the problem.

Just to play around with mine, I unplugged an 02 sensor just to get the check engine light to come on and plug in the reader to use and see the code.

After I plugged it back in and cleared the code, the CEL will go off but the permanent code will still be in the reader for the I/M readiness test until you do a few drive cycles for the cars computer to see that the code isn’t coming back on and it will go away on its own. I think in 2009 or 2010 they changed it like that so you couldn’t clear the code and go get an emissions test done right after.

Some more expensive diagnostic scanners will give you more information, such as my Innova when I do an all modules scan, it came up with two codes about TPMS. No check engine light is on so I’m not going to worry about it until I go to have new tires put on and have new sensors installed.

Attachments

• 8B2A8C5A-4DBD-4E80-B971-D45FA7DF4288.jpeg
    8B2A8C5A-4DBD-4E80-B971-D45FA7DF4288.jpeg
    121.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 31150C9D-0DA8-45E5-9A22-A39F0BC736A4.jpeg
    31150C9D-0DA8-45E5-9A22-A39F0BC736A4.jpeg
    115.2 KB · Views: 4
Back