How much should I ask?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about selling the CR-V after I graduate because I want something that is a better fit for me, and I also want something American made that I can actually work on without shredding my hands up or disassembling the entire front end of the car to get to something (replacing my starter was the final straw).

In the time I have had this car here is what has been done:

-Replaced VTEC solenoid and mesh screen after it got plugged with sludge and sent the car into limp mode

-Replaced oil pressure sensor after it went bad

-Replaced MAF sensor after it went bad

-Replaced power steering pressure and return lines

-Replaced starter after it burnt out

-Replaced alternator with a Custom Electric 250 amp high-output hairpin type

-Replaced power steering rack, both front struts, right front lower control arm and CV axle, wheel speed sensor after driving into the "stump" of a light pole that was removed and had no traffic cone on it, and it was lower than my field of vision so I did not see it

-Air bag recall done like 4 times because they kept recalling the replacement airbags, but I think it's all good now

I also have an aftermarket stereo, door speakers, amplifier, and subs in my trunk but I kept the factory stereo and speakers. Before selling the car I would swap the factory radio back in and take out my amp and subs but just abandon the wiring in place because it was just a $20 CCA kit from Amazon and I don't feel like pulling off all the trim panels to fish the wire through again...

I was thinking of asking $2,500 for it as a private sale, otherwise I will just trade it in at the dealership toward what I want to get next. What would y'all sell it for??

You did some decent work, but don't expect a return.

Ask on the higher side of KBB with an OBO. You'll likely make more on a private sale, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to shop around for what you're interested in and see what you'd get on trade.

It's a 2007 with just over 210K miles on it. KBB valued it at $2,500 when I entered my information.

I want to get a Buick Regal TourX. I originally wanted a Roadmaster but good luck finding one up here that isn't rusted to [censored] or grossly overpriced.

when the time comes (after warranty) is up be prepared to get shredded working on a tour x as well.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/d/newark-2007-honda-cr-lx/6992434524.html

$5K?

Originally Posted by cwilliamsws6
Thinking about selling the CR-V after I graduate because I want something that is a better fit for me, and I also want something American made that I can actually work on without shredding my hands up or disassembling the entire front end of the car to get to something (replacing my starter was the final straw).

Those starters are very easy to replace if you remove the intake manifold. I can get them done in about 45 min, no blood-shed is required. Did you try to replace the starter without removing the intake?

...and I also want something American made that I can actually work on without shredding my hands up or disassembling the entire front end of the car to get to something (replacing my starter was the final straw).

Wasn't your CR-V made here in the US, at the East Liberty plant near Columbus ?

Newer cars are simply getting harder and harder to work on so don't put too much weight in that ! The repairs you've done add zero value, just so you know, including the high-output alternator.

According to KBB, a plain-jane '07 LX with 200k miles, in a private party sale, could go for $3700 up to $5200, so you're definitely asking on the low end. On trade-in, KBB says you could get $2000-3000.

I quite frankly don't understand what the deal is with the Buick TourX. While I understand the appeal of the car itself-this model has every indication by who manufacturers it-and the current sale volume that it is not very long for this world.

It's a dinosaur going in. Almost IMHO- a bad of an idea as buying a used Fiat.

If you think you had it bad scraping your knuckles replacing a starter on a reliable, trouble free Honda CRV...wait to you are suffering like a pig under the hood of that Buick. Oh my! You'll put three engines in it to get it to 210,000 miles...and four transmissions.

I'd ask $3,500 for the CRV and leave yourself a little wiggle room to negotiate.

My CR-V was actually made in Japan! The papers in the glovebox say 100% parts / engine from Japan and final assembly point was Sayama Saitama Japan.

Fwiw the Buick is only going to be if I buy a new car. My other plan would be to get an S-10, Blazer or 4th gen Camaro.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have newcaritis.

FWIW: just picked up a 2020 elantra value edition(loaded model) for $16200+TTL

I really like it, though I have appropriate expectations. Yes,its not a $28000 car.
It is definitely not a penalty box to me. Although it is in dire need of some tires that have grip.. but I'll fix that next year.

We would take the jeep everywhere and it shows with 22000 miles in 16 months.. looking forward to offloading some of miles to the Elantra in the future.

When I drive it I have been getting near 40mpg(hit 43mpg on a nice day), overall 37mpg for the first 850miles.. The tank mileage is calculated.. the computer seems about +1 mpg optimistic.
I expect it to decrease abit with the winter weather approaching, but mpg should be better next spring.. than now I would expect.

Its peppy, the transmission helps it out by being at the right rpm at the right time.. instantly. Its an "IVT" which is basically a Chain type CVT with 2 speed overdrive.
Had 4 people in it.. about 800lb and 100lb in the trunk and it didnt seem obnoxous, yes it wasnt 300hp but it goes quite well for what it has.. could still pass the sunday drivers going 45 in a 55.

Sunroof, auto collision braking, lane warning/assist. Carplay/android auto. decent projector headlights, backup camera with projecting lines. Side blind spot and rear blind spot with cross path detection.

lots of stuff you wont find in this segment.. certainly not below 20k.

Certainly worth a look.. a way better deal than the accent for example that was a stripped model for $15500

It's a 2007 with just over 210K miles on it. KBB valued it at $2,500 when I entered my information.

I want to get a Buick Regal TourX. I originally wanted a Roadmaster but good luck finding one up here that isn't rusted to [censored] or grossly overpriced.

You want to go from a $2500 car to a $30,000+ one and are still in school? How do you plan on paying for it?

KBB valuation is not very realistic except in high rent areas. Usually they put an estimate about 35% above real market, private sales. Try Edmunds.

If you're not in a rush to sell, it can't hurt to ask a little more though, say $3000 if you're wanting $2500, then drop the price if there are no bites.

Do not get an S-10 or Blazer. GM's small/midsize trucks and SUVs are junk. Toyota would be a far better choice or even Ford.

Last edited:
... and I also want something American made that I can actually work on without shredding my hands up or disassembling the entire front end of the car to get to something (replacing my starter was the final straw).

I just wanted to make sure you know that Buick TourX is an German made Opel. Opel has been sold ,hence CKN's comment about it possible being an unicorn.

Well, it's just an LX so that doesn't help. Is it at least AWD? That's going to make a difference. All things considered without knowing the details about the car beyond year, mileage, and trim, my personal opinion is that you're a little low. Not too far, but if it's AWD I would throw $3,500 on it and don't take less than $3k. FWD, take $500 off those numbers.

If you really want to move it, leave the stereo in. Use it as an excuse to build a new one in the next ride (unless you snag that TourX, won't need a system in that right?). It's also a great way to get a few hundred extra bucks out of someone. I could see taking the subs and sub amp, but a deck and door speakers? Na. Just leave them.

My other plan would be to get an S-10, Blazer or 4th gen Camaro.

At least those will be easy to work on and you'll probably have a few opportunities too.

Originally Posted by wallyuwl
Thought you wanted an American car? Aren't Buicks made in China now?

Earlier in the thread aprox 1.5 hours ago someone posted that it is made in Germany for that particular Buick not China.

cwilliamsws6 said:
/quote]

You should get a 4-cylinder Camry. American made and easy to work on
happy2.gif

In fact, the Camry is, or has been for quite a few years, the most American car you can buy
34.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back