How much longer should I go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,
I have a mix of M1 5W-30 and 15W-50 at a 3:1 ratio in my wife's 03 Corolla. We have put about 8300 miles on that oil and was wondering how much longer I should go? Here is the last UOA I did on this car, which happens to be the previous OCI. I used Schaeffer's #132 at 50ml/qt in that OCI. Wear looked excellent, but TBN and Flashpoint wasn't so great, for the 6k mile interval.

Should I take it to 10k or test now?
dunno.gif

Thanks!

I'm sure it will be O.K. to go but you already put over 2K extra miles on it. It's just a matter of comfort zone and will it be more convenient to change now ??(then it will be done)

Your insolubles were at .5 last time also. This indicates to me that you may have already hit the limit.

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:

How long can I keep the used oil in the sampling bottle before sending it over to blackstones without affecting the oil?

Why would you leave the bottle sitting for a while before sending it? Aren't you curious to see the results as soon as you can?

I think that if it sits for a month or more it can sometimes change the results, so I wouldn't wait if it were me. Heck, I drive my samples straight to the lab and it gets analyzed within 24 hours of me changing the oil.
smile.gif

Ok guys....I'm changing the oil in a bit from now. The oil will have something like 8700 miles.

How long can I keep the used oil in the sampling bottle before sending it over to blackstones without affecting the oil?

I'm using GC for this next OCI!

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:

Should I take it to 10k or test now?
dunno.gif

Change it now so you can test the Saab 5w-30 PAO Blend with it's 11.5 TBN for the summer , fall , winter then spring .

A not so subliminal message brought to you by ,

Motorbike
patriot.gif

Heheheh! Moto, Sorry buddy, but your message came too late! I already installed GC (yesterday)
Maybe next time!

I don't think there is any problem with keeping it in a sample bottle for a while, but it would be best if the sample bottle were completely full so no air could dissolve back in.

Pat,
Wifey has been out of work for almost 2 months now. As little as $35 is making a difference for me these days. I have a cash networth of over $10k......but tapping into my savings and stock money is something I won't do for a UOA. But don't worry, I was just talking about a matter of a few days.....less than a week!

Anyway.....I installed GC with ~200ml of my brew.
The car feels very peppy and responsive.......but as we all know, it could just be in my head!

One last thing......the Mobil 1 oil I just collected has a total of 8741 miles, with no filter change and no make-up. Should be interesting to see!

Hey guys, I mailed the oil sample I spoke above last Friday. Yesterday my wife calls me at work and tells me the sample is back. I thought she meant the report. Obviously, I thought wrong. It seems that they either dropped the container or they put a helluva lot of weight on it. If you look closely, the cap for the black container (outter one) is cracked.
Anyway, there goes my 8741 mile oil used in my Wife's Toyota Corolla. It was M1 5W-30/15W-50 at a 3:1 ratio. I guess we'll have to wait a few months before I do another test on this car.
Sorry!
frown.gif

-

-

-

-

That sucks! I'm so glad I can just drive right to the lab I use and drop off my sample, I don't trust the mail system.
frown.gif

I usually use the cardboard tube the sample bottle comes in as another layer of packaging for more protection. Last time I didn't. Yikes! Hope this doesn't happen to mine.
shocked.gif

offtopic.gif

i tried to send 2 sample kits to quattro pete in poland. there is zero tracking for international packages in the usps, even when they are still in country. they gave me a tracking number that never showed up in the system. when his package didn't arrive in the scheduled amount of time, i was given one of the best runarounds of all time.

mad.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back