How much longer do I give the dealer?

I took my 1994 Toyota Tercel into the local dealer for a timing belt because due to work load I really don’t have time to do it. I had to reschedule my first appointment and push it back a week because I had some other repairs to do and the parts got delayed in shipping. They quoted me 2 hours and 350 parts and labor to do it. Dropped it off Monday after verifying Friday that the belt had arrived. Called me 10am Monday and said that they recommended doing a water pump because it’s behind the belt(I don’t think it is on a 1.5 but I agreed). They said they could have it in a couple days. Today I get a call and find out that it never got ordered, the belt wasn’t ordered either and they need a few more days to get them.

I also priced a valve adjustment when I dropped it off and they quoted me 350 to do it today. They want an hour for the adjustment and an hour to replace the gasket. I told them they need to refigure because the valve cover is off to do an adjustment.

I was tempted to give up and go get the car but have been told that there’s already a labor bill from doing a “complimentary inspection” to the tune of $175/hour and they’re sending me a list of recommended repairs. Is this typical of a dealer now?

Yup. That's why I always find a brand specific independent to work on my foreign marques.
The guy that works on my Hondas works on Honda/Acuras only.
Does excellent work at a fraction of the price. He will advise me on other issues, but never a pushy upsell.
Only time I ever go to a dealer is for warranty work or when there is no other option.

I took my 1994 Toyota Tercel into the local dealer for a timing belt because due to work load I really don’t have time to do it. I had to reschedule my first appointment and push it back a week because I had some other repairs to do and the parts got delayed in shipping. They quoted me 2 hours and 350 parts and labor to do it. Dropped it off Monday after verifying Friday that the belt had arrived. Called me 10am Monday and said that they recommended doing a water pump because it’s behind the belt(I don’t think it is on a 1.5 but I agreed). They said they could have it in a couple days. Today I get a call and find out that it never got ordered, the belt wasn’t ordered either and they need a few more days to get them.

I also priced a valve adjustment when I dropped it off and they quoted me 350 to do it today. They want an hour for the adjustment and an hour to replace the gasket. I told them they need to refigure because the valve cover is off to do an adjustment.

I was tempted to give up and go get the car but have been told that there’s already a labor bill from doing a “complimentary inspection” to the tune of $175/hour and they’re sending me a list of recommended repairs. Is this typical of a dealer now?
See how the belt and water pump job turns out before doing more work with this dealer. Shop for another dealer.

Definition of complimentary... given or supplied free of charge.
Just for this, if it were my car I would school them of just what the word complimentary means, tell them to shove their “complimentary inspection” charge, and pick the car up. If they didn't do any actual work they don't have any right to charge you.
Since your engine is non-interference, you have time to figure something else out.

Definition of complimentary... given or supplied free of charge.
Just for this, if it were my car I would school them of just what the word complimentary means, tell them to shove their “complimentary inspection” charge, and pick the car up. If they didn't do any actual work they don't have any right to charge you.
Since your engine is non-interference, you have time to figure something else out.
I'd be willing to be it's "complimentary" as in complimentary if you buy the stuff, but $175/hr if you don't.

Just got off the phone with them. The inspection fee is waived. They quoted over $3000 worth of stuff which was hilarious. I started grilling the lady on the list and got into stuff like a power steering service for $250. I asked her if she knew that it wasn’t built with power steering……total silence. Then I started rattling off when the fluids were last changed that they wanted to do(from my records)…..again silence. They found an aftermarket belt locally that is going to be put in and I’m calling it quits with them. I’ll be having a discussion with the service manager when I go pick up the car.

Here is the list they wanted to do:

CEL Diagnose only no repair: $170 it is a fault from an old O2 sensor issue that won't clear. Been there done that.
Airbag lamp diagnose only: $170 air bag module is bad and NLA from Toyota. Been there done that.
Replace rack/pinion for one loose tie rod end: $1,073.17
Change brake fluid: $219.95
Change clutch fluid: $115.94
Change transmission fluid: $279.95
Change power steering fluid: $244.95 doesn't have power steering
Replace both outer CV Boots: $1,111.99 have both axle shafts here already. Going to do it when I put front struts on.
Replace spark plugs: $249.95 recently done and literally takes 10 minutes if you drink beer for 5.
Rear motor mount loose: $111.99 I'll look into this, not surprised. It's original.
3rd brake light out: $43.99 was working 2 months ago when I changed the oil.
Both license lamps out: $32.63 again were working 2 months ago
Front crank seal is seeping: $39.12 it just has a little oil residue below it, not even really a leak.
Fuel Induction System Cleaning: $244.95

Needless to say I'm not playing ball with them. It was almost worth it just to hear the total shock from the service advisor when I actually had records and knew the other faults of the car. This is my first real dealership experience other than buying parts and will probably be my last. Lesson learned.

The timing belt job was quoted at $350-400 and was within $50 of what the local shops wanted, a couple were higher.
The quote means nothing if they don't actually do the job. ;) And I doubt any of the dealer techs have even done a timing belt on a model of that vintage unless they were one of the oldtimers there.

I'm not one to really defend dealers, however, they don't know your service history. For all they know, nothing they suggested has ever been done and in many cases, it probably hasn't been done.

But we're not the norm here.

However, replace a whole rack due to a tie rod end issue?!?!
The power steering fluid change when there is no power steering system is pretty screwed up.

that there’s already a labor bill from doing a “complimentary inspection” to the tune of $175/hour
I'd pick it up and take it somewhere else. Offer to buy the parts that had to be ordered and refuse to pay anything else.
e: missed your update that they waived the fee

But yes, your visit to this dealer is pretty typical, especially so with Toyota dealerships and older cars.

The quote means nothing if they don't actually do the job. ;) And I doubt any of the dealer techs have even done a timing belt on a model of that vintage unless they were one of the oldtimers there.
They have. There’s 2 old timers at this dealership that have been around for a while. One of them saw it across the parking lot the morning I dropped it off and immediately knew it was a Tercel. That’s one of the reasons I felt like it was the right move.

Not sure how far from Chicago you are but you could take it to the Car Care Nut to dial it in. That's what I'd do and I'm in Cleveland.

Back