How much grease will you use in your life?

I saw a 55 gallon drum of synthetic grease on marketplace near me so for fun I started thinking if there’s any way I’d be able to use it all before I die. Probably not at my current rate. Maybe if I get some heavy equipment for my landscaping business.

Think you’d use it all up?

Maybe 50 years ago when I was young and farming with old equipment that had lots of grease fittings that needed grease every day. MAYBE

I don’t think I’d use even half of that over my life. I did buy around 10 tubes of grease and a bunch of synthetic gear oil on clearance for $ .05 each so I’m set for a decade on grease, half that for the gear oil.

My grandfather had an old coffee can full of grease when I was a little kid. Never saw him use. I've never used grease myself other than in a fishing reel.

I only buy grease at one cartridge a time. This is because i am super picky on adhering to the manufacturer specs and every vehicle/thing i have calls for a slightly different spec.

I cant use grease for my dirtbike on my outboard and i cant use the outboard grease on my propshafts.

Even with the cartridges i almost barely use any out of it.

When i moved in to my house there was a 5 gallon bucket of phillips 66 grease from the 50s in the garage. The guy who built the house used half of it over the course of 50 years. Im sure others use way more

Ag equipment would certainly use that in no time flat assuming it’s used accordingly.

We do have a neighbor who uses no grease at all and takes his turns at full speed all while hitting every rock in his field. He breaks down a lot, but in the end still saves his money on grease.

Ag equipment would certainly use that in no time flat assuming it’s used accordingly.

We do have a neighbor who uses no grease at all and takes his turns at full speed all while hitting every rock in his field. He breaks down a lot, but in the end still saves his money on grease.
Wow that’s one way to do it I guess. I was always taught to grease up every morning before using equipment. Sometimes even grease at lunch as well if you’ve been running hard.

I actually use very little. Most of it melts and leaks out of the gun, and into the pan and the rag it sits in.

jFszVV8.jpg

My 2008 3/4 ton Chev has zerk fittings and now my son’s 1500 Chev has zerks on the upper and lower control arms and tie rod ends from replacement parts.
Changing out a tube is an event separated by years.

I have a 1-oz tube of Tetra Grease I bought around 1996. It's not empty yet. I have a grease gun cartridge of Valvoline synthetic chassis grease that I've dipped a finger in maybe twice?

I used to buy 55 gal/400 lbs drums.
Now 15 gal/120 lbs drums.
Last time I bought it was $480 for 120Lbs of Castrol.
It's harder and more time consuming (in most cases) to
lube a car properly than to change the oil and filter.

I was just thinking about this, as I had to change out an empty cartridge. I think I changed one last about 10 years ago.

Back