How much “extra” does your dealer try to charge?

Ignoring the required state or local sales tax, how much does your dealer try to add to your vehicle price? I’m talking about doc fees, paint protection, and the like.

It’s super annoying to agree on a price only to see them stick an invoice in front of you that is $2k more than you expected. I’m really starting to hate car dealers.

Last vehicle I bought - nothing. Just the $80 doc fee, which is the max allowed by law.

Ignoring the required state or local sales tax, how much does your dealer try to add to your vehicle price? I’m talking about doc fees, paint protection, and the like.

It’s super annoying to agree on a price only to see them stick an invoice in front of you that is $2k more than you expected. I’m really starting to hate car dealers.
When I bought my Odyssey I paid a $495 doc fee.

I don't remember any others but I won't pay more than $500 doc and I don't buy "extras."

I make this whole thing much easier by using an all-in/OTD price. This is what I want to pay/cut the check for (whether that is my check, the bank's check, whatever). I do my own workup by getting itemized breakouts of their best OTD price to compare dealers and come up with a number. How they want that to break-down isn't my problem. Worked for years for me. My Golf is the last car I bought (new) - I want XYZ car, these accessories, and I'll give you $20K OTD. Of course there is negotiation but I generally get a great deal this way and don't get hung up on doc fees etc. b/c I've worked the numbers/deal myself on my time/my way. Sales kid told me "Sir, I've never seen anything like that...I'll have to try that myself next time I buy a car." AHHAHAHA

Edit.
Factor in you may have to take less-desirable financing to get that killer OTD price but guess what? You can turn around and re-fi with your bank once the loan goes into effect so keep that in mind as rock-bottom OTD pricing will likely require some give so they make some money. I always say no to all the finance office garbage.

Last edited:
Negotiate out the door pricing and avoid the headache. I don't really care how the invoice is structured, as long as the bottom-line price is what we agreed to.
Amen.

Browsing online a Honda dealer in Wichita, KS they add a $2,500 package of nothing to all of the new vehicles they sell. It would appear to be non-negotiable. If I was more serious about buying a vehicle the Toyota dealer isn't very far away and doesn't appear to openly be playing games. fsdork's advice above is solid. Do your homework. Ask what their fees are before buying. Create a spreadsheet cost breakdown. These folks thrive on chaos, impulse, bait and switch and your desire for that vehicle. Good luck

Browsing online a Honda dealer in Wichita, KS they add a $2,500 package of nothing to all of the new vehicles they sell. It would appear to be non-negotiable. If I was more serious about buying a vehicle the Toyota dealer isn't very far away and doesn't appear to openly be playing games. fsdork's advice above is solid. Do your homework. Ask what their fees are before buying. Create a spreadsheet cost breakdown. These folks thrive on chaos, impulse, bait and switch and your desire for that vehicle. Good luck
Easy - just offer what you want to pay that doesn't include it...OTD/bottom line number. If they take it cool. If they say no, move along. Everything is negotiable and always keep in mind the dealer needs to make money which is fair. I always figure 20% for them is a fair go but that can be hard to determine based on the way the incentives on their end/with the manufacturer work. Used cars are much easier b/c you can start your calc with what the trade-in value likely was and add 20% and go from there.

The "with taxes included" line when asking for below MSRP OTD really gets the sales guy. He had to go back and forth to the office a few times but when you time a car buy at the end of the month in November, magical things can happen. This was pre covid though.

The "with taxes included" line when asking for below MSRP OTD really gets the sales guy. He had to go back and forth to the office a few times but when you time a car buy at the end of the month in November, magical things can happen. This was pre covid though.
"OTD as in this is how much I am writing you a check for and leaving with the car...yes...the taxes/DMV bits too...yes I understand..." hahahaha

Never buy a car when your old car is on its lips. Max price is MSRP if you're not good at arguing. Always remember to wear your Shoes to the Stealership. Walking works every time if they won't come around. I never am going to waste much more than an hour at a dealership. There is always another day and another dealer. I love it when they try to jack you around I sold cars for a while and made good money at it. So they aren't going to get by with much Bull!

Always get an itemized otd price over email before going into the showroom. The reputable dealers will happily do so. The last several new vehicles I've purchased were all negotiated before I ever left the house.

Always get an itemized otd price over email before going into the showroom. The reputable dealers will happily do so. The last several new vehicles I've purchased were all negotiated before I ever left the house.
Same.

I start every purchase over email and I very plainly state I do not want any surprises and if they put that crap on the invoice I'm going to walk no matter how much time and effort we've both invested. This will occasionally cause salesmen to make it clear they don't want to play ball with me - fine - better to know earlier rather than later. I do not get emotional about buying cars and if someone wants to sneak that on at the end I'll just go somewhere else. I do not meet the sales person until the OTD price is already negotiated by email. With the Tundra I started this process at 9:30am emailing between patients and picked the vehicle up at 5PM.

Browsing online a Honda dealer in Wichita, KS they add a $2,500 package of nothing to all of the new vehicles they sell. It would appear to be non-negotiable.

I was browsing around Ram dealers in our area since their financing deal on 2022 MY is pretty good.

Stumbled on a dealer that appears to put a $10,000 upfit on almost every single Ram that they get in. Looked to be wheels and tires mainly, but didn't look closer to see exactly what was included. Nothing like adding $10k on a $50-60k truck :rolleyes:

Whether it's negotiable or not is irrelevant to me, I wouldn't even contact them because it wouldn't be worth the effort when almost the exact same truck was available nearby for the standard asking price.

I have the luxury of being eligible for the GM family discount so my pricing is set. The doc fee around here is typically $200 and thats mostly because the Secretary of state (DMV) pushed all their work off on the dealers some years back. A nice little defacto tax increase since all the title/plate work is done by the dealer (including issuing the plate) and the state still collects their money same as before.

Negotiate out the door pricing and avoid the headache. I don't really care how the invoice is structured, as long as the bottom-line price is what we agreed to.
You would think people would know that , but ....

We've only bought 2 new vehicles, on our 03 Tracker, one sales guy kept of forgetting to deduct all the manufacturers incentives from the price... So we walked. Then we got the new sales kid at the next dealership (second day on the job) and he got excited just like me in how many incentives we could qualify for! The dealership had just changed hands and they were offering a $800 discount, and he remembered that after we had got $9500 off a $23.5 vehicle!
The Outback I had got a quote from an out of town dealer and the local guys matched it, and didn't add anything funny after it was clear we were happy to go to the out of town dealer.

You would think people would know that , but ....
It really is the best way. Like above, email/texty works great to get the deal done without standing in the showroom. Complete itemized line by line breakout of their best price makes your life much easier. Then you can just come back with a single number that eliminates the garbage fees add-ons etc. The only headache that still remains is the finance office but saying "no" isn't hard...no....no thanks....I'm good...yeah still no on that..hahahah.

Back