How much does it take to clean up my PSF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my 2001 buick century I have done 5 turkey baster changes. In the left bottle you will see a new bottle of amsoil PSF, second bottle is after the 5th change and the last bottle is the first one that came out. I am not really seeing much difference and am taking out 7 to 8oz. at a time for a total of 35 ounces. I thought it would be much cleaner by now.

DSCN3684.jpg

That is yummy. How did you do the change? I mean, did you suck out resvoir then refill and repeat. Or did you empty resovoir, fill, start engine, run steering wheel back and forth and empty.

I used a turkey baster to suck out of the reservoir. I would drive to work and back at least 40 miles between changes.

Originally Posted By: countryboy9799
I used a turkey baster to suck out of the reservoir. I would drive to work and back at least 40 miles between changes.

Ok it will never clean up like that.

Try this, this is the procedure for the Valvoline PSF service kit we have at work.

1. Suck out reservoir.

2. Refill reservoir

3. start engine, run steering wheel lock to lock twice. (all the way to the left, then right, then left, then right)

4. shut off engine.

5. suck out reservoir

6. Repeat until you don't have anymore new fluid.

Last edited:
The turkey method is for turkeys. Do it right, a full flush, with cheap ATF, drive a week and then re-do with the AMSoil.

It looks to me like you have a deteriorating hose internally . That will not clean up with any flushing. It is a mechanical problem . Flushing will help and you might be good for years but I believe that this condition will worsen and cause your pump or rack to fail from the liquid bits of rubber. For now I would do a full flush and keep a close eye on it. I could be wrong ,but I would look for a tsb with that problem. We have fixed a few at the shop like that. It was a soft hose. One was blown.

Originally Posted By: chad8
It looks to me like you have a deteriorating hose internally . That will not clean up with any flushing. It is a mechanical problem . Flushing will help and you might be good for years but I believe that this condition will worsen and cause your pump or rack to fail from the liquid bits of rubber. For now I would do a full flush and keep a close eye on it. I could be wrong ,but I would look for a tsb with that problem. We have fixed a few at the shop like that. It was a soft hose. One was blown.

Would a Magnefine catch "liquid bits of rubber"?

The turkey baster method is fine. I've been doing that for 30 years with great results. I draw down the PS pump every engine oil change, and refil with M1 ATF with great results.

If you've got any AutoRX, an ounce in the reservoir and 1000 miles will clean up the system. Otherwise, I've done the baster method on several vehicles. Probably doesn't get out all the debris from the system, but I do the fluid swap when the engine has been running for a bit, so hopefully some of the debris is still in suspension and will get sucked up.

It takes more than you think to get clean fluid with a PS turkey baster flush.
Same for partial auto tranny fluid changes.
There are diminishing returns.

Even a couple of quick reservoir changes is a big help, esp to old fluid, but to get it visually clean, it can take 2-3 qts!
Don't think after a 'real' flush your fluid will be perfectly clean either. Drive a week and then tell me.

I'd jack up the front end so the tires are off the ground. Disconnect the return line to the reservoir and direct it into a jug. Suck out the fluid and refill the reservoir with any ATF. Turn the wheels from side to side and keep the reservoir filled. This will flush the ATF through the system. When the ATF comes clean, continue with the final fluid of your choice. (While Amsoil makes some very good lubes, I'm not sure their other fluids are worth the price or trouble. The same ATF I'm using in the transmission would be my choice in the steering unless ATF is prohibited in that make & model car.)

Originally Posted By: gtx510
widest thread ever?

Is the pic making it to wide? Looks good on my end.

How do you do a full flush?

The vehicle should hold about a qt of PSF. if you were getting about 1/2 qt out a time you would need about 4 times to get most al of the fluid out. If you are only get 7 ounces at a time, might have to do it 15-20 times to get most all of the old fluid changed out.

Some cars are rather easy to do a 'real' flush.
But some are nightmares.
There is always the possibility of a future leak where you disrupted something, having to find parts, oil spewed all over, etc..

But basically, you take off the return line to the reservoir, and route it into a container.
Then crank or start the car for short spurts while adding fluid.

I really dont want to tear into the PS pump so I think I will try what beast said and just keep at it a little to avoid the hassle. Hopefully it will clear up soon and if it doesnt in a few more I might just keep at it for every oil change. I am sure I have made some difference.

Is the pump integrated with the reservoir on your application? Either way, the return is low pressure. Someone reported 100psi ..but that would be unusual, imo. Even at that, it's well within the range of simple clamps. The non-serviceable ones that they use on the assembly line aren't anything special. They just look oddball due to the crimping/fastening process employed to do it quickly.

I don't know how true this is, but I've been told by performance mechanics/techs that even with a full dumping and multi quart flush of the system that the fluid will still not stay clean for more than ~a week.

I just flushed my p.s. system today, but I am still going to do the T.B. method for at least 2-3 more quarts (yes, even with pricey RL fluid!).

Originally Posted By: tig1
The turkey baster method is fine. I've been doing that for 30 years with great results. I draw down the PS pump every engine oil change, and refil with M1 ATF with great results.

...but a full flush is *better*, right?

If so, there is only one reason I can think of not to do it...right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back