How Much Does an Oil Change Cost?

My mech charges $10 labor and $1 for filter disposal and this includes topping off any fluids. Said my brakes have 15% left all the way around on my Lucerne and my Sierra has some front differential seals seeping and a torn boot on the front right so I know he is also looking them over.

Keep those coupons around, and bring your own synthetic (so they have no excuse of charging you more for a synthetic oil change).

Around here labor is $20-25 to bring your own oil and filter, and $25-30 for using their dino oil with coupon.

All my cars get synthetic oil and a Fram TG or UG. I'm using filters and oil purchased over a year ago at an average cost of $27/per vehicle. I lift the suspension of the car just enough with a hydraulic jack so I can shimmy underneath. -Plenty of room! I always prop-up a safety stop (log or mini jack-stand) under a solid area just in case my 40 year old hydraulic jack decides to give out. A long time ago, when I had a tall curb in front of my house, I'd drive one side of the car up on the curb... No jack necessary.

In the past 40+ years I've done all my own oil changes with the exception of 2 times. As I recall, both times a dealer or shop did it after specifically asking them not to.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
ARC.... I believe he's referring to Quaker State semi-syn, common oil at Korean dealers.
BTW.... no such thing as M-1 semi-syn. the "1" represents all / full synthetic oil.

I know Just making fun of XoM since the 5w30 is a really semi-synthetic advertised as a full synthetic - according to their SDS.

Lack of truth and transparency in oil advertising still bothers me to no end. I guess no one can afford to bring 'em to court. Plaintiff wold probably end up in a ditch.

As DNewton is fond of pointing out, there is no such thing as a totally "true synthetic" off the shelf motor oil. All of them are a mix of "true" synthetic with some Group III or Group II in the mix to varying percentages. Or a straight Group III.

Only a few folks seem to be worked up by that. Modern Group III comes darn close to Group IV performance and even has some characteristics that are better than Group IV. The average auto owner would see no difference between them and the result in their engine.

It is legal and not false advertising to label Group III as synthetic. All the legal hurdles were scaled many years ago. Only the purists hang on.

Some of us actually prefer to pay someone else to do it. Our time and effort that it would take to do this basic labor is precious.

Some of us actually prefer to pay someone else to do it. Our time and effort that it would take to do this basic labor is precious.

I might if I could trust the someone to do the job properly. I started changing my own oil after suffering from multiple stripped drain plugs on different cars, noting the often wrong and always cheapo filters used, noting the wrong and often cheapo bulk oil used, noting the lack of fluids in things that were supposedly checked, noting the lack of oil in the motorcycle when the engine seized after paying for a change, noting the lack of my oil filter cap after wondering why oil was dripping down from the engine compartment, noting the mechanic using the wrong oil as I observed him put it in, then deny he was doing so, then bill me for the oil I requested, etc. etc.

Originally Posted by TiredTrucker
As DNewton is fond of pointing out, there is no such thing as a totally "true synthetic" off the shelf motor oil. All of them are a mix of "true" synthetic with some Group III or Group II in the mix to varying percentages. Or a straight Group III.

Only a few folks seem to be worked up by that. Modern Group III comes darn close to Group IV performance and even has some characteristics that are better than Group IV. The average auto owner would see no difference between them and the result in their engine.

It is legal and not false advertising to label Group III as synthetic. All the legal hurdles were scaled many years ago. Only the purists hang on.

This is why factory spec 0w20 instead of 5w20 currently, because it is a spec from the beginning that is made to last 10k. Now that is the common "standard", nobody will make a "dino" 0w20.

Maybe 20 years down the road they can make a dino 0w20, but they will still need to make it last 10k.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by AuthorEditor

I might if I could trust the someone to do the job properly. I started changing my own oil after suffering from multiple stripped drain plugs on different cars, noting the often wrong and always cheapo filters used, noting the wrong and often cheapo bulk oil used, noting the lack of fluids in things that were supposedly checked, noting the lack of oil in the motorcycle when the engine seized after paying for a change, noting the lack of my oil filter cap after wondering why oil was dripping down from the engine compartment, noting the mechanic using the wrong oil as I observed him put it in, then deny he was doing so, then bill me for the oil I requested, etc. etc.

I guess I have just been lucky over the past 20 years, none of that happened to me. I am willing to accept the risk now, maybe someday it changes.

I did have a few wheel studs get damaged once from a tire rotation at my oil change place. Now it either gets done at my tire shop or my indy mechanic if I have the car there for other repairs when due.

Originally Posted by SeaJay

But then you have to use your time to drive to the lube change joint,sit around and wait for them to get it done,and then drive back home. That takes more time out of your day than walking outside and doing it yourself.

Maybe it's just me,that I truly detest hanging around a shop waiting around. I'm just a very impatient person I guess haha.

yeah, me too. It reinforces the "Walter Mitty" in me that my 1967 VW Bus is an armored personnel carrier. It's difficult to get it to backup on a set of ramps (42hp) so I might dig an oil change pit in the backyard
[Linked Image]

Balderdash.

It takes longer to drive out of my way to said place, wait in line, deal with the employees, and then double checking to make sure they didn't screw up.

I'd rather do it in my driveway, at my home, with my tools, and with my choice of cold beverages.

Originally Posted by Linctex

Balderdash.

It takes longer to drive out of my way to said place, wait in line, deal with the employees, and then double checking to make sure they didn't screw up.

I'd rather do it in my driveway, at my home, with my tools, and with my choice of cold beverages.

Bingo!
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by Linctex

Balderdash.

You forgot the other option, have time on your way to someplace or on the way back from someplace, drive by one of those quick lube places that are on every other street and see no line, drive in and have it done. I used to do that sometime in the past. You can be in and out in about 20-30 minutes.

Now that I have a stash, I have to plan my changes. Which I don't mind either, but I also saw the appeal of those quick change places.

I'm on the opposite side of it. When I'm doing an oil change, nothing is open, so that's even more incentive to do it myself. When I leave the office, often quite late at night, the oil is very hot by the time I get home, and it's the perfect time to change it out.

Back