How much damage could I have done?

Several cars don't have Clear Flood mode. You'll find out when you have the pedal to the floor (this is how you do Clear Flood mode) and the RPMs race up because you floored it.

OP was referring to Clear Flood mode as flood mode in this post.

Floods can happen if you have fuel delivery issues, recently went through this had to change FPR and then Fuel Pump, that solved it. Now it just runs rich due to inputs but it runs as intended.

Present vehicle also does not have Clear Flood mode, 2022 brand new Toyota not the only one.

It's also used for a flooded engine. What gets a flooded engine to start easier is get as much air into the cylinders (ie, WOT) while cutting off all the fuel. Even carburated engines will start easier if flooded if the throttle is held wide open to get as much air into the cylinders as possible.
That true on carbureted engines, nut today with injectors and computer controlled metering, flooding is no longer a problem.

Sorry OP it’s wrecked. I’ll do you a favor and take it off your hands for $5k, way more than the junkyard will give you.

:)

That true on carbureted engines, nut today with injectors and computer controlled metering, flooding is no longer a problem.
Not as common a problem ... but certain situations can still flood a FI engine, like leaky injectors.

Not as common a problem ... but certain situations can still flood a FI engine, like leaky injectors.

Perhaps possible but how many will know that? The likely person to use this function will be a service tech.

The rest of us start our vehicles up without touching the gas pedal.

Perhaps possible but how many will know that?
If the vehicle has the function, it will probably be described in the OM. Anyone that doesn't know their vehicle's functionality by not reading the OM ... well, that's their problem. ;)

If the vehicle has the function, it will probably be described in the OM. Anyone that doesn't know their vehicle's functionality by not reading the OM ... well, that's their problem. ;)

I have been under the impression that fuel injected engines don’t flood. So if the engine has trouble starting how would I know it is that condition that is causing it?

I have been under the impression that fuel injected engines don’t flood. So if the engine has trouble starting how would I know it is that condition that is causing it?
If I knew it has "flood clear" mode, I'd try it ... why not? I've had FI engines with leaky injectors before.

I’m the opposite. I have never had a fuel injector or injection system issue. A far cry from carburetors.
Yes, a far cry from carburetors, but not 100% perfect or reliable on every vehicle in the world. Nothing is.

What's funny to me reading through this is I recall reading "suggestions" or "advice" on this board over the years where someone will ask about starting a car that sat for a long period of time, or to bulid oil pressure just after an oil and filter change. Several people would chime in and say, floor the gas pedal and crank the engine until you see the oil pressure gauge climb or the red oil light go off. Then release the key, take your foot off the gas and start the engine. I don't ever recall anyone warning someone that their engine might just start at rpms that can damage a cold engine which hasn't been started in a long time. SMH.

True but then the flooded method would not work.
Injectors that leak slightly will flood the cylinders when the engine sits for awhile after it's turned off. The injectors will bleed and leak down until the pressure in the fuel system is bled off. So you go into the store for an hour and come back out and all the cylinders are flooded. Doing the flood clear if equipped will certainly help the engine start easier from that flooded condition.

What's funny to me reading through this is I recall reading "suggestions" or "advice" on this board over the years where someone will ask about starting a car that sat for a long period of time, or to bulid oil pressure just after an oil and filter change. Several people would chime in and say, floor the gas pedal and crank the engine until you see the oil pressure gauge climb or the red oil light go off. Then release the key, take your foot off the gas and start the engine. I don't ever recall anyone warning someone that their engine might just start at rpms that can damage a cold engine which hasn't been started in a long time. SMH.
Absolutely! This is pretty much what I did. Should put a disclaimer that you should verify in your owners manual that you have the feature. Luckily my engine was warmed up and only sat for 15 minutes at the longest so there was likely enough oil left in the passageways to build oil pressure almost instantaneously and provide enough lubrication to prevent damage.

Back