How much better does a quality CPU cooler cool your CPU?

hyper 212 is usually my goto for cheap air cooler.

There are about 5 models but they are all same basic design.

As long as you have enough height to clear the side of case you are good.

Often they have 10-20MIR on a 35$ cooler.

^ This. I'd slap a $20 AR Hyper 212 on it, and benefit from the rearward facing, 120mm fan, OR just replace the fan if not overclocking.

There is a way to mount a fan on any heatsink, besides the stock method, even if you have to drill a couple little holes in the fins and/or use screws or wire ties. BUT on the other hand, you have a nice heatsink now and can possibly reuse it when time to upgrade those parts.

The crappy heatsink that didn't work, if you kept it instead of being able to get a refund (if worth the bother if you have to pay to ship it back), it looks like it wouldn't be too bad as a heatsink for a LED retromod on a flashlight... might need cut down to fit where you need it, but better too big a 'sink that gets cut to a perfect form-fitting shape, than too little and you have to make a bracket for it.

My i9 9900KF processor stays in the high 30’s most of the time while gaming. Noctua dual fan cooler. 44c is as high as I notice it going. The 2080 video card is another story.

My i9 9900KF processor stays in the high 30’s most of the time while gaming. Noctua dual fan cooler. 44c is as high as I notice it going. The 2080 video card is another story.
Nice box!

Noctua makes really good coolers that are not just good coolers against high TDP, but also quiet for a non-liquid based system. Their cost puts them into the diminishing returns area, but in the larger scheme of things, the difference of money is really very small.

Back