How many times have you waxed/polished your ride?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of curiosity, who has the most coats of wax/polish on their ride. If you have stripped off wax/polish or clay bar'd, don't start over count.

I estimate my '96 Vic has had the most attention out of all the rides I have owned (past and present). In the past 60 months of ownership I estimate I have clay bar'd 2X, used a fine cut rubbing compound 3x and waxed/polished at least 24 times.

I know there has to be someone with 100+.

Who has hit the century mark?

You guys aren't going to like me.
smile.gif
I polished HALF of my VW Golf in October when I bought it. Since then I've washed it by hand once, threw a few pails of water at it once, and pressure washed it once. I'm going to pay somebody to polish and detail it come spring.

I do polish my motorcycle but it has about as much surface area as a car door.

Cheers, Steve

since wax is only for looks, I find it useless for my car as it takes me to a lot of places with huge mud puddles and really awful streets. It would stay "shiney" for about 2-3 hours... Washing is almost pointless, the rain does almost as well.

Not with acid rain.
And my friend's 94 taurus wagon's paint is looking just horrible. It hasn't been washed in 2 years and there's stuff on the paint that looks permanent. I've seen plenty of stuff on paint that just won't come off without either very high water pressure or scrubbing action. If you buy a new car then don't wax it and let the rain wash it, I bet that in 5 years, that paint is going to look pretty bad.
Claying also will get stuff off that normal water could only dream to.
So let me get this straight - first you claim waxing is purely cosmetic and now washing??

I've been detailing cars for the last 25 years, and I can definitely say that waxing is not cosmetic. Polishing without waxing is cosmetic, but waxing does offer protection to the car's paint.

My '01 Taurus sits outside 24x7, in the full sun at work, and in the shadeless driveway at home. However, because I'm fanatical about maintaining the paint, it looks as good now (at 112k miles) as it did in late-2000 when it rolled off the assembly line.

A quality wax, whether synthetic or carnauba-based, will offer protection. Yes, if your environment is bad, you may only get 30-45 days of protection. On the weekends, I detail for profit, and several of my clients have cars that are now 5-7 years old. Two in particular I have been detailing every 4 months since they were brand new, and the finishes on both cars are immaculate.

To clarify my early comment on polishing (but not waxing) being cosmetic: Polish, in its' purest form, offers no protection. It's designed to bring out the depth in paint. Wax, for the most part, is the last step product designed to protect everything beneath it.

You can wax your car every six months, but it will pale in comparison to a car that has been polished AND waxed.

hth,

Ntwkrguy1

I'll clarify: washing is pointless in my case (very tongue in cheek) due to the road that I drive on every day. It is a series of potholes connected in places by asphalt. Yes, I do wash my car in reality. Probably once every couple of weeks. But it spends very little time actually looking like I washed it recently....

Now wax, and no tongue in cheek here: On a car with good paint and clearcoat, wax does not and cannot "protect" paint. It's a WAX. Wax is not airtight (so it cannot prevent oxidation), it is not hard (so it is easily removed by airborne abrasives). Heck, most waxes have to be reapplied after a good washing or 2...how tough is that?

Wax on a good paint/clearcoat car is purely to make it shine. It fills micro-scratches and such and improves the gloss level of a surface by removing the top oxidized layers of older clearcoats. (Wax fills microscratches, polish removes oxides and can smooth/remove microscratches). A clay bar is a very mild polish.

If you have no clearcoat, or it is worn off (it does) and it's all the protection you can get, to that end it's fine and serves a use (and therefore in those cases might be slightly more than cosmetic. In those cases I recant my original blanket statement).

But it's NOT a clearcoat, ie, not airtight and hard/abrasion resistant enough; and can't be expected to protect like a clearcoat.

My clearcoat is in great shape, it has been reapplied several times in the life of the car, I don't need to wax unless I want the car to be shiney. Shiney that is until I drive it to work.....
wink.gif

I know this is an unpopular stance amongst hobbyists here but it simply fact. If you like to wax your car, I have absolutely no issue with your desire to have shiney car. That is, until you try to claim it "protects" anything. Now if you sell wax, or sell your services waxing cars, be forewarned I don't listen to salesmen.

If you want to protect your paint, have it re-clearcoated. If you want it shiney, wax it.

(flamesuit on)

I'm cool with you not listening to salesmen....but, you've got to be careful with your facts, because some of them are simply incorrect. kenw, I'm not looking to start a flame-war, but I need to clarify a few things. I put my comments inline:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I'll clarify: washing is pointless in my case (very tongue in cheek) due to the road that I drive on every day. It is a series of potholes connected in places by asphalt. Yes, I do wash my car in reality. Probably once every couple of weeks. But it spends very little time actually looking like I washed it recently....

Now wax, and no tongue in cheek here: On a car with good paint and clearcoat, wax does not and cannot "protect" paint. It's a WAX. Wax is not airtight (so it cannot prevent oxidation), it is not hard (so it is easily removed by airborne abrasives). Heck, most waxes have to be reapplied after a good washing or 2...how tough is that?

Wax can and does protect the paint. Wax sits on top of the clear coat, and therefore acts as a barrier to contaminents. And the waxes I use don't come off after 2 washes -- provided you're not washing with dishwashing detergent.

Wax on a good paint/clearcoat car is purely to make it shine. It fills micro-scratches and such and improves the gloss level of a surface by removing the top oxidized layers of older clearcoats. (Wax fills microscratches, polish removes oxides and can smooth/remove microscratches). A clay bar is a very mild polish.

Higher quality waxes have no fillers; therefore, they dry 'clear'. Waxes with fillers are what give you the white residue in seams, around emblems, etc. Yes, waxes with fillers will fill mild micro-scratches. And yes, polishes CAN remove microscratches, but they must be ABRASIVE polishes. A pure polish (Meguiar's Show Car Polish is one....) has no abrasive quality. It's function? To bring out the gloss on show cars. I've used more bottles of it than I care to remember doing show car prep. If you don't top a polish with a wax, and the car is outside, the polish will disappear quickly. A clay bar IS NOT a very mild polish. A clay bar is a piece of clay, designed to remove surface contaminents. It prepares the paint for polishing, but it is not a very mild polish by itself.

If you have no clearcoat, or it is worn off (it does) and it's all the protection you can get, to that end it's fine and serves a use (and therefore in those cases might be slightly more than cosmetic. In those cases I recant my original blanket statement).

But it's NOT a clearcoat, ie, not airtight and hard/abrasion resistant enough; and can't be expected to protect like a clearcoat.

My clearcoat is in great shape, it has been reapplied several times in the life of the car, I don't need to wax unless I want the car to be shiney. Shiney that is until I drive it to work.....

My father's car (1993 Crown Victoria) sits in the FL sun all day long. He's owned the car since it was new, and I've been able to wax it 4 times a year on average. The result? It still has the ORIGINAL clear coat on the car. The car is now 12+ years old (it was built in late '92), and has never needed the clearcoat reapplied. And what has it cost him? About one $12 tin of Meguiar's #16!

I know this is an unpopular stance amongst hobbyists here but it simply fact. If you like to wax your car, I have absolutely no issue with your desire to have shiney car. That is, until you try to claim it "protects" anything. Now if you sell wax, or sell your services waxing cars, be forewarned I don't listen to salesmen.

If you want to protect your paint, have it re-clearcoated. If you want it shiney, wax it.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Again, I have no issues with you not listening to salesmen. I'm not trying to sell you anything, but if in the event someone were to have read your original post, they might not have recognized the 'errors'. And unfortunately, that's what they are. In the past 25 years, I've had the opportunity to experiment with lots of different cars, and lots of different products, and have been able to gain hands-on experience with what those products will do. I can assure you my car looks very, very different from my neighbors' cars. And it's due to the products that I'm using on it. Meguiar's wouldn't have made it to their 100th Anniversary if there wasn't some proof to the pudding.....

Kenw,

That's a new and interesting concept to have your car re clear coated every few years. Saves a lot of time "waxing".

How often do you have to do it?

How much does it cost?

Are there any problems with orange peel, adhesion failure, etc.?

Wow,

One post says they have to pay someone to wax the other half of their Golf....

Another post says that wax/polish does not protect, just for looks....

Why are these people reading the Detail and Wax section then?

Believe it or not I've only put one coat of Zaino on my Corvette since I got it last August. I plan on getting the local detail shop to put a coat of wax on it soon since the road salt has eaten all of the protection off the paint right now, and it's still too cold out for me to do it myself.

To answer the question, i would say at least once a month, for my 3 vehicles.
I would like to know the process used to get a clearcoat re-applied, and as stated earlier, the cost involved?

Islandvic: It doesn't hurt to know how to do something even if you aren't prepared to do it. That's why I read this forum although I also polish my bike once in a while.

Steve

srivet, don't take my post in a bad way.

Just remarking about how one guy doesnt wax and one guy waxed half a golf. No disrespect

Just thought it was funny cause the hood on one of my car's is about is big as 1/2 your golf.

If you want long lasting protection an acrylic sealant is the ticket. I use Klasse twins on my rides. They are reapplied every 3-6 months. You can use a wax over the sealant, but its not really necessary. The most important step in a lasting finish is keeping the surfaces clean.

Amkeer,

I also use the Klasse twins on my wife's Suburban (garaged), and the longevity is astounding. While there typically is no reason to top a sealant with a wax, I do like the looks of Klasse topped with P21S, or Meguiar's #16.

And to those that don't wax their cars, yes, there's really no problem with that. You will notice a degradation of the appearance of your car, which in reality is the clear coat breaking down.

I like the looks of polished/waxed vehicle (the 'wet' look), and my golf game is really lousy, so I've got to have something to do. The wife thinks I'm a bit strange at times, but she's got the cleanest Suburban in town!

ntwrkguy1

In the past 3 months (as of 2-11) I'll have clayed my 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2 times, polished 3 time and waxed 6 times with Klasse AIO and P21S carnauba.
I get this perverse satisfaction of knowing my car shines better then 99.9% of the cars I pass on the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back