How many of us still use a TomTom or Garmin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
With multiple vehicles, I use an older Garmin, a new TomTom and Waze on my phone if it's convenient for a short trip. I don't like to use the phone for extended periods because I have to keep it plugged in so the battery doesn't run down.

It was a bummer that my Garmin didn't have Canadian maps, so last summer I bought the TomTom with both USA and Canada maps.

You have to keep the Tom Tom and Garmin plugged in as well too?

I use a cell phone with a mount. You can download maps on WIFI if you are worried about data usage and it speaks directions over bluetooth. No need for updating maps either.

I feel old now. Picked up a Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S last year. Phone nav apps just didn't cut it. No regrets. Go into voice command, tell it the address, and go. Uses blue tooth for hands free phone, and traffic info. On busy days with lots of service calls it is great having it.

Extra useful with rental cars/travel.

I've been goofy. The wife's car has the in-dash system and the CUV we take on trips. I mounted my Garmin to the windshield and also run Googlemaps on my smartphone. All are as updated as I can get (maps) and all mostly pick different routes at times with same/similar settings. Two have real-time traffic but are not that useful.

So I still print out Googlemaps driving directions as a good paper backup and even have one of the large print map books. All go with us on road trips to unknown or unfamiliar areas. Yes, I'm a member of AAA and could get those old style Trip Tiks.

I drive and she navigates. Who to believe is the "correct" route???

From what I'm reading above, maybe it's time to move up to a better GPS!

Last edited:
I use my GPS on the phone. Once. Often will just look at the route, and if it is familiar area, just remember the turns and exits. Dangerous practice aka distracted driving. I memorize my routes so I can keep my eyes on the road.

I have an older Garmin and use it. I have tried using my phone, and much prefer the Garmin.
We were in Florida a couple of months ago and I tried the Nav in the '17 Volvo V90 we had as a rental. By the next stop, I had the Garmin out of the trunk and used it for the duration of the trip.

Prefer Android auto /Apple carplay. Wait till these really take off especially with the wireless connections. I'm glad too as the navigation ones built in always seem to be behind in either the maps themselves and/or just the general ease of use. Also getting in the mail /email about paying to update my built in maps for a hundred or so! Good riddance!

Still use my Garmin that I purchased in 2014 with free life time updates/maps in the Baja. The Acura has its own navigation system as does the Jetta.

Dale

Try being in the mountains, with cell service hours away. No signal and no downloaded maps on your cell phone = no navigating. The Garmin works fine.

I keep a Garmin (or factory car GPS) in each car in addition to the cell phone GPS that I use for up to date traffic.

2 tom toms, over 10 years old, still work...wife uses the Ipad on trips if we
need, I like the Ipad best now, but Tomtoms for back up,,,

Originally Posted By: Donald
Anyone use a paper map?

You churn your own butter and your wife makes your clothes with fabric ordered from a Sears catalog still?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Donald
Anyone use a paper map?

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I still have a Garmin and like to use it on long trips.

Ditto here. Long trips, where bad cell phone coverage might not get maps updated, the satellite-based GPS reception on the Garmin works well anywhere.

Also, paper maps are great to have to get the "big picture", a macro-view you might use on a long cross country trip to form a nav plan.

Paper maps good for a final back-up nav, just in case the electronics fail, although between the phone & Garmin, its *almost* dual-redundant already.
Free paper maps from AAA have tourist cites noted as well.

Usually cell phone google maps around town to find traffic jams and route around them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back