How many miles before oil change???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2010 VW EOS. VW recommends changing the oil every 10,000 miles. I have read that some people wait the whole 10,000 and that some do it in between times at 5,000. I am really torn about this.....This is the first car I have had that uses the synthetic oil. I love my car and just want to do the right thing.......

I am just looking for opinions and previous experiences.

Thanks so much!!
SunniDee

You're going to get lots of opinions. How is the vehicle used? I follow a Severe Service Schedule, but then again I drive under those conditions. So in my case 6 months or 5000 miles is about what it works out for me, give or take about 1,000 miles. JMO

I usually drive it to work about 3 days a week....about 60 miles round trip....small town (40ish speed limit) and some highway (55ish to 65 limit). I have had it since October 10th and have 4800 miles on it now.
Thanks!

You probably won't find a consensus here.

However, around town and highway miles are easiest on the oil and engine. It's the city accelerate-stop-accelerate-stop cycle that's harder. Based on your driving pattern, using a VW-approved oil, you should be good for 10,000 miles.

I'd change it at 5k, at least for the initial change. After that, I'd only go 10k if I were running a long-drain oil like M1EP or Edge.

The quality of oil is in the process of being upgraded across the board to accomodate, among other things, longer change schedules. Look for grade SN.

I have been using the current Mobil 1 EP (currently an SM oil), and have successfully changed it out once a year (about 15,000 miles) in all of my vehicles with great success.

If you use a conventional SM grade oil and take mostly short trips I would change it out a bit sooner than later.

Originally Posted By: RFIRE
The quality of oil is in the process of being upgraded across the board to accomodate, among other things, longer change schedules. Look for grade SN.

I have been using the current Mobil 1 EP (currently an SM oil), and have successfully changed it out once a year (about 15,000 miles) in all of my vehicles with great success.

If you use a conventional SM grade oil and take mostly short trips I would change it out a bit sooner than later.

+1....Mobil 1 EP or Edge would work perfectly.

I suggest 10K or 1 year on those oils. Be sure you use a good long OCI filter such as Mobil 1EP, or Fram XG. Stay away from the low-end filters.

I run 10k OCI on castrol syntec with the cheap fram filter. I know I can go 12-13k easy.. most of my trips are long and 99 % highway driving..

for regular dino, don't go no more than 5000 miles.
I have 12 qt chevron supreme, and 5 qt castrol syntec. I am good for 20,000 miles ( 3 oil changes).. I don't have time to go walmart. Do you think it is worth to buy mobil 5000 for $11.50 ??

Originally Posted By: moto94536
I Do you think it is worth to buy mobil 5000 for $11.50 ??

Definetly YES...there is a recent Virgin Oil samp;e done by Blackstone....it looks good. Buy all you can at $11.50.....it won't be that price for very long.

I am at over 36K miles on the current OCI for my 03 Golf TDI. I am shooting for 40K miles since I don't think I have time to do it before then. The 20K UOA was posted here and it looks good.

For goodness' sake, follow VW's advice. If your driving falls under what they consider "severe service", then follow their applicable advice (e.g. 5,000 miles). If it falls under "normal service", do the same (e.g. 10,000 miles). If you can't decide because you're on the borderline between the definition of normal/severe, split the difference (e.g. 7,500 miles).

Originally Posted By: azsynthetic
I am at over 36K miles on the current OCI for my 03 Golf TDI. I am shooting for 40K miles since I don't think I have time to do it before then. The 20K UOA was posted here and it looks good.

shocked.gif
please post the UOA once you change the oil.

Its a TDI. EOS isn't!

For the EOS, if you drive 750-1k miles a week, then the 10k interval, with the VW spec or equivalent full synthetic oil, is fine.
If you're a short tripper and don't hit 10k by 6 months, change it out anyway.

Check the oil regularly and top off as needed.

If its a new vehicle, an early oil change to remove the break in debris is smart. Change it out.

There is nothing to be torn about. If you want to keep the vehicle a long time, maintain it. If you plan on trading it in after you make the last payment, don't maintain it.

Don't neglect the other lubed components the like transmission, brake fluid, hydraulic steering(if equipped)...

Originally Posted By: unDummy
If you're a short tripper and don't hit 10k by 6 months, change it out anyway.

I know it will seem like it, but I'm not trying to be snarky here.

In this post, you say:

Originally Posted By: unDummy
If you drive 2 mile trips 5-10x a day(soccer mom), then that's short tripping. This situation will typical beat the oil up quickly and is a candidate for sludge, varnish, consumption, moisture and fuel buildup.... I wouldn't blindly go more than 3 months OCI's with this vehicle.

Which seems to contradict what you've said in this post. (Although, granted, the 5-10 short trips a day example is on the extreme side.)

The only reason I'm asking for clarification is that I've come to respect your opinion.

Depends on vehicle. Short tripper would benefit from more frequent cheap mineral oil changes. This is a VW. If its a turbo, you're stuck with a quality full synthetic. And, the OP is 60 mile trip taker which is definitely a plus for extending the OCI. But, its a new vehicle and I will always push for the initial early OCI rinse regardless of what anyone says.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back