How long timewise will an oil filter last?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a car and bike that I drive very little each year. They're both a pita to change filters on. I change oil every year, but would like to stretch the filter changes out to 2-3 years. I probably put 2k or so miles on each machine a year. How well will an oil filter hold up for 2-3 years with very low mileage?

Quote:

2-3 years? oil would varnish up, or sludge from condensation or something.
just my opinion.

crackmeup.gif

You're kidding, right? You have this opinion based on what, might I ask?

Quote:

Quote:

2-3 years? oil would varnish up, or sludge from condensation or something.
just my opinion.

crackmeup.gif

You're kidding, right? You have this opinion based on what, might I ask?

Not so fast to poke fun...notice, he IS using Pennzoil. That's the one that is made of wax and causes sludge, right?

Ok, Ok. So, I couldn't help but poke fun, too. My opinion is that oil in a vehicle for that long a term isn't a great idea...but, it isn't a really bad idea if the vehicle's oil is changed yearly. This is, of course, based upon the assumption that the car isn't operated very often, and when it is, it is allowed to get to normal operating temps. If those two things are true, then, the filter would be fine for two or three years. Just my guess...

Quote:

I have a car and bike that I drive very little each year. They're both a pita to change filters on. I change oil every year, but would like to stretch the filter changes out to 2-3 years. I probably put 2k or so miles on each machine a year. How well will an oil filter hold up for 2-3 years with very low mileage?

If you are changing the oil every year & no dilution is present, I would think the filter would be fine for 2-3 years.

What is couple of buck for a #@$%! filter even if you are using the new expensive EaO from Amsoil. Change the oil and filter and let it be.

Quote:

..They're both a pita to change filters on....

A little comprehesion challenged are we, ewetho?

You will have absolutely no issues whatsoever running the same filter for three years on a low-mileage toy that is otherwise well-maintained. Why so many people wish to attribute their obsessive need to waste good filters and oil like this on everyone, regardless of the individual in question's personal circumstances, requirements and preferences, is beyond me. All the OP wants to know is if it will be OK to do this.

Answer: YES!
approved.gif

Quote:

Cellulose media oil filter manufacturers generally recommend 6 month change intervals, whilst full-synthetic media manufacturers such as Amsoil recommend 1 year change intervals for their EaO filter line.

Reason for this is that in an IC engine environment, oil filter media will significantly degrade over time.

Would you trust a 2-year old used Fram oil filter to perform the same as it was when new?
crazy.gif

Quote:

Possible advantage to a filter with all-synthetic media in this case.

laugh.gif

I change my Amsoil EaO filter at every 5K OCI because my car only gets 6K-7K per year usage.

I see no problem with going 2 or 3 years as long as you're using a good quality filter. The OEM oil filter on my mom's VW actually says 2 years or 30,000 km on it, and I'm sure they are being conservative, so they probably know that in reality that filter could go 3 years without any major problems.

Quote:

I change my Amsoil EaO filter at every 5K OCI because my car only gets 6K-7K per year usage.

What a waste of an excellent filter. You should extend that to two years. You can easily remove the old oil contents - then reinstall the used EaO Amsoil filter.

I would think the cellulose based filters might have a problem with 3 years.

A readily availible, full synthetic filter is a Fram Extended Guard, sometimes called a Fram X2. That filter should be good for 3 years in your application. $10 at Wallmart.

Since my transmissions have the SAME filter on them as an oil filter, and the manufacturer states that it never has to be changed unless it is damaged, I'd guess that oil filters can last a couple of years with no problems. Assuming, of course, that the oil is OK for that length of time. At least, there seems to be no concern about the filter materials "breaking down" due to being in contact with oil for so long.

One of the old BITOG forums about Fram's cardboard end caps noted that the cardboard soaked through, failed by going to pieces, and caused engine damage after the pieces ended up circulating in the oil. If you're using a cheap filter, be wary. If you're using one of the many better filters that others here recommend, at least 2 years might be all right.

He's changing the oil every year every 2k miles. A name brand upgrade filter should have no problem lasting a few years.

I've seen cheap filters rust badly as all the paint flaked off.

I would want a boutique filter using synthetic sealing materials on the filter gasket and ADBV, if possible.

Remotely mounted filters eliminates that PITA filter removal issue that you have.

Hey guys thanks for all the great info, its helped alot
wink.gif
I'll prolly just go with a synthetic media filter every 2 years or so. Unfortunately I installed a Fram in my bike before doing any research and its been in there over 2 years, with very low mileage tho
blush.gif

My mom only drives 3000 miles per year, I just drain the oil once a year but I leave the 'oversized' Purolator L-24458 on for 3 years.

Even after 3 years, the paper media inside was nice and soft. I was expecting it to be brittle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back