How long should a tire last? (age)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As some of you may already know, I've been tire shopping.

I'm still on my stock goodyears, which seem to holding up pretty well. I recently took them for a "spirted" drive, in which they did pretty well.

Yesterday I stopping at a local DT to shop and ask a few questions. The manager came out to look at my tires, and asked me why I was looking for tires in the first place. (I mentioned age/upgrade). To be sure, they rolled the Cav into one of the bays and took a good look at the tires (even took a few off the rims) They were quite impressed by the shape of the tire, even after five and half years. (car is often in the shade when not driven) Anyways, he told me that they should be good for at least for a few years. He said that tires will last a while if you take care of them (and keep them out of the sun)

What do you guys think? Usually, I hear the that a tire is good for about 5 of six years before you worry about it falling apart.

Honestly, it kinda confuses me, as you do want to do the right thing, but at the same time, not waste your money either.

So...your thoughts?

Last edited:
Michigan = not that hot temperature wise.

I bet you even check your air pressure or can at least feel when they're a few pounds low.

You beat 90% of the rest of the populace.

Bridgestone broke ranks w/ rest of US rubber industry in recommending maximum tire life span
Released technical bulletin saying all tires, including spares, more than 10 years old should be replaced
Said both passenger and light truck tires should be replaced regardless of external appearance
Cited same recommendation issued in Sept by Japan Automotive Tire Manufacturers Association

so your tires still have 4-5 years of life left in them.
that's really excellent, to be able to get 10 years.

As was stated earlier, temoperature is a key factor here. As is maintenance.

10 years in Michigan for a well maintained tire? Yup!!

6 years in Arizona for a well maintained tire? Yup!

Couple of years for a poorly maintained tire - regardless of where it is!!

I had an older Nissan Sentra that didn't get driven much. I drove it frequently, just not that far. As a result, the tires had a ton of tread on them after many years. Plus, a small two door sentra with no power is easy on tires anyways. I eventually had to replace them just because they were cracking and splitting so badly. Almost like they were dry rotting. These tires were probably pushing 8-10 years old, not sure on the exact age.

Originally Posted By: 360kid
I had an older Nissan Sentra that didn't get driven much. I drove it frequently, just not that far. As a result, the tires had a ton of tread on them after many years. Plus, a small two door sentra with no power is easy on tires anyways. I eventually had to replace them just because they were cracking and splitting so badly. Almost like they were dry rotting. These tires were probably pushing 8-10 years old, not sure on the exact age.

Nice...my Cav is light, and a 2 dr too...

My parents replaced the tires on my mother's 1985 Accord in 1991, despite having 90% of the tread left. My mom drove like a grandmother, did all short trips around town, but it was subject to daily stints of sitting in the sun / weather all day. The weather cracking was why they ditched the OEM Michelins.

This is very subjective to the type of life the tires see. If you have a garage at home, and a garage at work, and temperatures are mild, you can go years longer than my parents did. UV is an important factor, as is temperature and driving style.

+1....My mom's Buick has 8 y/o BF Goodrich's on, and they look like new. Car is always garaged, and only driven around town, and occasionally on the highway at 55mph.

I think sun exposure is the biggest factor that rots tires on lightly driven vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Drew2000
+1....My mom's Buick has 8 y/o BF Goodrich's on, and they look like new. Car is always garaged, and only driven around town, and occasionally on the highway at 55mph.

I think sun exposure is the biggest factor that rots tires on lightly driven vehicles.

That can explain my tires then.....

I've had the original full-size spare on my truck for about 30k now. It's 8 years old, been exposed to road salt, all the other elements that see the underneath of the truck, and it's working fine.

I'd be worried if you lived in a Phoenix type climate after 5-10 years.. Aside from that I wouldn't bother unless you can visually spot damage/degradation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back