How long on Napa Golds ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While i was in Napa picking up a belt (another thread/topic) I decided to take advantage of the discount i was getting and stocked up on some oil filters. I picked up 4 for the Milan, and 4 for the Accord. Ive been using these Napa golds with success for some time now but ive been limiting there OCI/Filter change to 5-6 thousand miles or one year. I dont think im going to long at 6,000 miles on this filter but im curious as to what maxium would be ?
Both cars are 6 cyl engines
Both cars get used for mixed city/highway driving. 50/50

your thoughts ?

They are equivalent to Carquest Blue, Wix, Bosch Premium , P1 in terms of construction, media and performance. I personally use my P1 filters for 6 ~ 7.5k miles oci.

As always, I think that it depends on your particular engine & service conditions.

I've run a few out to 15,000 on my 5.3L Avalanche and 6.0L Escalade with no negative effects. However, I wouldn't recommend that for every motor and situation. The GM LS motors are not hard on oil and my samples had been running synthetic since early on in their lives and are very clean internally.

All your vehicles are fairly young with less than 100k miles, and I think they are fairly clean inside therefore not much junks for filter to hold on to, any filter can easily do 10-12k miles. I did 13-14k miles with Fram OCOD in the LS400 once without any problem.

Usually twice the OCI of the OEM with oil change in between. However, why not just change your oil and filter at the 6K run you want to do?
There are OEM's who want the filter changed every other oil drop or drain.....

If you are looking for a number from Napa/Wix, I don't think you'll get anything but overly conservative answers. Certainly it's up to whatever interval the OEM calls for, so that would be your first "safe" number. Since Honda recommends a filter change every other oil change on many cars, and if that applies to your Accord, I guess you have the answer.

Generally, on a clean running modern engine with a good operational cycle (i.e. not a short hopper exclusively), 10+ K is certainly very possible with a single oil fill in my estimation because that's very doable with most good quality filters (and the Napa/Wix is that). More, up to 15K, on might be possible too (is likely to be possible) but before I'd push much past 10K, I'd do a little research.

I concur with Jim.

Consider these examples:
my 1995 Villager (Nissan engine) has a 5k mile OEM OCI plan
my 2010 Fusion has a 7500 mile OEM OCI plan
my 2000 Galant has a 7500 mile OEM OCI plan, but specifically states to change the filter every other OCI; FCI is 15k miles!

Now, there is no way I believe that Wix has any specific idea which application would be limited to what filter. When you look at their filter catalog listings, some of their filters fit (literally) hundreds of applications. Does Wix "test" them all in those applications, equating to tens-of-thousands of combinations? No way in Hades.

Most decent filters (and I certainly include Wix in there) can go way further than most folks think, if the engine is a decent running example. But then again, folks change oil way too often also; oil can go way further than most folks think too.

Im way underusing my filters... I NEVER leave a filter on for two OCI's.. something about changing oil and running clean oil through a dirty filter just bothers me. I know i need to get over this. Everything in my Sig is a once a year oil change except the Milan, thats pretty wifes car and it will be getting changed every 6 months(ISH).

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
Im way underusing my filters... I NEVER leave a filter on for two OCI's.. something about changing oil and running clean oil through a dirty filter just bothers me. I know i need to get over this. Everything in my Sig is a once a year oil change except the Milan, thats pretty wifes car and it will be getting changed every 6 months(ISH).

You need to get over it....dirty oil stays in the filter and clean oil exits it. The tiny amount of oil left in the filter only adds a bit to the other oil clinging to the insides of the engine.

I'd go safely with 6 months/6,000 miles.

I got one on our Hyundai and I don't have any complaints. Leaving it on until spring hits.

I use NAPA Golds almost exclusivily. 7500 miles in the Honda Odyssey, and 10,000 miles on my (out of warranty) pickup trucks. Zero issues.

Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1

You need to get over it....dirty oil stays in the filter and clean oil exits it. The tiny amount of oil left in the filter only adds a bit to the other oil clinging to the insides of the engine.
Not just that, but on a clean engine the filter efficiency is going to INCREASE as the oil filter gets loaded-I'm thinking of doing the same thing with the slightly O/S Fram XGs & Ultras I run on the xB (XG3600s).

Just an observation, IMO, why do some judge a filter performance on visual inspection?? If you look at the size of particles then are we inspecting them under a microscope?

Diameter of average human hair 70 microns
Lower limit of visibility (naked eye) 40 microns
White blood cells 25 microns
Talcum powder 10 microns
Red blood cells 8 microns
Bacteria 2 microns
Carbon black 0.6 microns
Tobacco smoke 0.5 microns

With the above specs, it seems to me kind of pointless to judge a filter by a visual inspection if we can see the particulates with the naked eye. The only tell-all of a filter for "usable life" is reading the differential pressure.

I've change many filters in my day that have max out on dp and they dont look bad at all.

Last edited:
Because common sense goes a long way. Manufacturer specs 10K oil changes. Quality filter and oil goes in. Filter and oil comes out at 10K and everything looks good common sense dictates all is well.

Originally Posted By: Pistol_Pete
Just an observation, IMO, why do some judge a filter performance on visual inspection?? If you look at the size of particles then are we inspecting them under a microscope?

Diameter of average human hair 70 microns
Lower limit of visibility (naked eye) 40 microns
White blood cells 25 microns
Talcum powder 10 microns
Red blood cells 8 microns
Bacteria 2 microns
Carbon black 0.6 microns
Tobacco smoke 0.5 microns

With the above specs, it seems to me kind of pointless to judge a filter by a visual inspection if we can see the particulates with the naked eye. The only tell-all of a filter for "usable life" is reading the differential pressure.

I've change many filters in my day that have max out on dp and they dont look bad at all.

ya know I was kinda thinking the same thing. On new equipment they have sensors that tell you when fuel and/or hydraulic filters get "restricted" (caseih) or "in bypass" (john deere). I was wondering if that filter would look any different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back