How long is too long?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2005 Toyota Highlander with the 2.4L. I religiously change the oil every 5k with Mobil 1 (5w30) and PureOne filters. Until recently that was about every 4 months. Currently it has 28,000 miles on it. We picked up a 3rd car and now don't drive it much. Im coming up on 10 months with about 2,000 miles (and mostly city miles) on the oil.

My question is how long should I go on these changes now? My original thought was change it every 12 months no matter the miles mainly due to the city driving.

Or change it this time at 12 months (and roughly 2200 miles) and get an analysis to see what it says. If its good, then go 18 months or so. If its less than good, then start a 9-12 month regimen of changes.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Last edited:
Ooh, an NSX owner... The 2005 was the last year for the NSX wasn't it? Awesome car, and that year was pretty rare too I believe.
thumbsup2.gif

Back on topic... Personally, I would just change it when it hits 3k miles regardless of time...

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Ooh, an NSX owner... The 2005 was the last year for the NSX wasn't it? Awesome car, and that year was pretty rare too I believe.
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks! Last year, yes. 249 examples made that year.

Its an under powered dinosaur, but I like it
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: JasonVW
Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks! Last year, yes. 249 examples made that year.

Its an under powered dinosaur, but I like it
cool.gif

Compared to my ~142hp I wouldn't say that ~276hp is underpowered!
grin2.gif
I'm envious! Plus, gotta love the hand-made quality and workmanship.
19.gif

You should be able to do 2 years 5k miles easy.

Here is a UOA … 2 years 7600 miles with synthetic (Castrol), oil was fine. In fact, TBN was 4.90, which means the oil had lots of life left in it.

A second UOA same car, 2 years 7300 miles. 2 liters of makeup oil was added over the 2 years, but I think even if the engine wasn't consuming and had makeup oil added, the oil would have still made 2 years without issue.

Your engine has till 2010 or 60k miles warranty on it.

Things happen. Toyota will not care what type of oil you used. (esp after the sludge problems)

They care about 5k or 6months with both oil and filter changed.

All city driving? Even if I did not care about the warranty, I'd be changing oil often. I know what my UOA with PP 5w30 in a easy on the oil subaru looked like after 4k miles and 8 months.

Take care, bill

I agreed with Bill in Utah. You need to follow the manufacture OCI: 5k miles or 6 months. I would change to whatever brand name conventional oils on sale and keep doing the 5k/6 mos OCIs with conventional oils until passed the manufacture's warranty.

I also agree with you guys until the warranty's over. I started doing a 1 yr. OCI on my Mazda6 with Amsoil, but that was after the warranty was up. I didn't want any issues with them in case a problem came up during that period. You never know with these dealers.

As "Bill in Utah" said, your truck is still under warranty. So I'd follow the OCI for normal (not severe) service.

However, I'd stick with synthetic, since you're in Minnesota, winters are brutally cold at times and I imagine you'd want to start the truck every so often or drive it in the winter.

If you're not a slave to M1 and want to save some money, go with the cheapest synthetic that you're comfortable with, use that until you're out of the warranty period then go back to your oil of choice.

Last edited:
Quote:
So I'd follow the OCI for normal (not severe) service.

FYI

There is no severe or normal service with Toyota. It is just a simple 5k miles or 6 months whichever comes up first with what oil is recommended in the manual.

A lot easier to follow.. (and less problems with Stealerships claiming that you needed to follow this or that schedule *if* you have a problem)

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Quote:
So I'd follow the OCI for normal (not severe) service.

FYI

There is no severe or normal service with Toyota. It is just a simple 5k miles or 6 months whichever comes up first with what oil is recommended in the manual.

A lot easier to follow.. (and less problems with Stealerships claiming that you needed to follow this or that schedule *if* you have a problem)

Wow.. Surprising. I haven't owned a Toyota for almost 3 years. Don't recall the specifics to the 98 Sienna we had (bought it used from my sister-in-law) and I don't remember what the Sienna OCI was.

That being said, follow whatever the owner's manual says..

Really? I thought it was my 3/36 and out for bumper to bumper. Are you sure the 2005s had a 5/60k engine warranty?

Thanks for all the comments.

Really? I thought it was my 3/36 and out for bumper to bumper. Are you sure the 2005s had a 5/60k engine warranty?

Yep. ALL 2005 have a 5 year or 60k powertrain warranty. Some of the smog stuff goes for even longer.

I've got a 2005 myself.

Bill

Yep. ALL 2005 have a 5 year or 60k powertrain warranty. Some of the smog stuff goes for even longer.

I've got a 2005 myself.

Bill

Great! Guess I will stick with the 6 month cycle until 5/10. Probably will switch back to dino juice since its only going to be 1k changes.

Great! Guess I will stick with the 6 month cycle until 5/10. Probably will switch back to dino juice since its only going to be 1k changes.

I was out of my 60k warranty around year 2.
19.gif
I've got 113k on mine right now.

Not a single problem. I did have some startup noise caused by oil/filter (not sure which one) but once I changed oil and filter, it was gone.

Take care, bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back