How long does an oil film stay on engine parts after shutdown

Dart board ... 😄

No!
I heard from one of the school principals that some of M1 molecules were classmates with the Magnatec intelligent molecules.
You know if you hangout with bunch of turkeys , you can't soar with eagles kind of thing.

Last edited:
I like intelligent molecules and currently using it in one of my older cars. this car has a $4/qt budget for oil. I may reduce the budget for this car to ST or Kirkland levels but Castrol GTX Magnatec Full Synthetic 10W30 has a 6.1 Noack that not many can beat or match. Not even fancy oils.
that was a fluke

Last edited:
No!
I heard from one of the school principals that some of M1 molecules were classmates with the Magnatec intelligent molecules.
You know if you hangout with bunch of turkeys , you can't soar with eagles kind of thing.
This is of course the only answer you could give.

that was a fluke

You mean Magnatec low Noack happened by chance and a good "side effect" of the formulation and not necessarily by design?

Either way (by design or not), it's a good Noack. However, it would be nice to know the story. I assume the formulators or chemists target to be below the max allowed by the spec or requirements.

iirc, narrow spread oils like 10W-30 typically end up with lower Noacks and not necessarily by design but as a consumer, I focus mostly on the end product and not why or how it got there.

Plus your PC cost.
My PC cost is minimal, and a tax write-off.

You can use any approved & certified Euro oil that allows your VW/Yoders to identify as a Porsche/Lexus.

I'll continue to use an 'Murrican earlsz that oozes bald eagles & freedom into my sump.

Crystal?

I like intelligent molecules and currently using it in one of my older cars. this car has a $4/qt budget for oil. I may reduce the budget for this car to ST or Kirkland levels but Castrol GTX Magnatec Full Synthetic 10W30 has a 6.1 Noack that not many can beat or match. Not even fancy oils.
Incorrect, so many 10w30 engine oils have a lower Noack . In fact that may be on the higher side for 10w30.

Oils of yesteryear were thicker, which helps them stick to engine parts longer before drooling off due to gravity.

Curious, how do you figure? Wouldn't a lighter oil be more defiant of gravity longer than a heavier oil? Assuming no other factors, such as rain washing it off.

Regarding the discussion of Magnatec here, I do wonder if Castrol can be sued or at least taken to task for the use of the term intelligent molecules. It is marketing. I, for one, would or could be taken by it.. however, are they not just standard molecules, same base oil and slightly less stuff than Castrol Edge?

I recall hearing that any oil will cling to internal engine parts, probably more so with an ester base oil, as was mentioned, something to do with that base being more attracted to metal, I am not 100% on the science, however @High Performance Lubricants also mentioned use of a tackifier in the additive pack, if they wanted to add or if that also comes into play here.

Regarding the discussion of Magnatec here, I do wonder if Castrol can be sued or at least taken to task for the use of the term intelligent molecules. It is marketing. I, for one, would or could be taken by it.. however, are they not just standard molecules, same base oil and slightly less stuff than Castrol Edge?

I recall hearing that any oil will cling to internal engine parts, probably more so with an ester base oil, as was mentioned, something to do with that base being more attracted to metal, I am not 100% on the science, however @High Performance Lubricants also mentioned use of a tackifier in the additive pack, if they wanted to add or if that also comes into play here.
C’mon man. Marketing sells lots of products. If Castrol uses that line and is successful oh well.

dont forget the moly crap too.....

C’mon man. Marketing sells lots of products. If Castrol uses that line and is successful oh well.

It worked too. Instead of being scientific which would alienate 99% of consumers, Castrol tried to market it differently so most could understand. Only here is the term argued.

If BITOG had been around when Ricardo Montalban was pushing Corinthian leather that might have been the biggest topic on here. You would have people looking on their globes for Corinthia trying to see where this great leather came from.

It actually came from New Jersey.

Curious, how do you figure? Wouldn't a lighter oil be more defiant of gravity longer than a heavier oil? Assuming no other factors, such as rain washing it off.
All else equal, higher viscosity means high film strength which means it sticks to parts longer. With oil, the term "light weight" refers to low viscosity, not low mass.

Does anyone have any idea how long a protective layer of oil stays on the engine parts after shutdown? I am not talking about enough oil for a lubed start. I am just talking about a thin film that would prevent rust from starting. This is on a car that is not driven much. I drive it ocassionaly to keep the battery charged and burn off any water that may have condensed in the oil. I am now wondering at what point does the engine become totally dry and rust can set in. I would think it would be in the order of days or weeks because whenever there is oil where I don't want it never makes sense to think the part will just drip dry and be oil free, ever. With the engine being hot on shut down I can see it keeping the oil that remains hot and much more likely to just run off so I don't know.
I opened up my motorcycle engine after sitting for 1 year, the cams still had a light film of oil on them.
10w-30 oil.

I opened up my motorcycle engine after sitting for 1 year, the cams still had a light film of oil on them.
10w-30 oil.
That's impressive. On the opposite end of the spectrum, Lycoming O-320 and O-360 engines are horizontally opposed pushrod engines having the cam above the crankshaft. Because the cam sits up high, after residual oil drips off it is exposed and can corrode. Cam lobe corrosion/decay/pitting/spalling is common for these engines if they sit unused for more than a week or two on a regular basis over time. And this is using relatively thick oils: straight weight 40, 50 or 20w50. Owners (like me) frequently use the Camguard additive in these engines.

I once helped install a junkyard engine in an old VW Scirocco using an engine that had sat in a junkyard for 11 years. The outside of the engine wasn’t very pretty but there was no visible rust inside and everything still had a coating of oil. After that I figured any engine is going to survive sitting for several weeks or months.

Back