How long do you think you will live?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figure I will live until I die. I don't worry about it.

Boy-oh-boy, I'm on the cusp of retirement and am concerned about maintaining both my physical and mental health. Many men struggle with retirement, even when they envision the "Life of Riley".

I totally believe that mental therapy/exercise is important too.

How old for me? I have no clue. Life is not fair and people of all lifestyles drop dead daily at all ages. It's difficult to live mindfully every day. Good thread topic.
My friend retired 3 times. LOL. Got bored and got a new job. He's finally retired at 70 but does volunteer work and plays pickleball almost everyday.

I played golf last week at a retirement community. It was late in the day so when I finished, there were a bunch of old guys sitting on the golf course bar's patio sipping on cocktails and yakking it up. Looked pretty awesome to me.

I am 71 and thank God for the aunties, uncles, my parents, grand parents and my best friends.

I am 51 years old and guessing 80s. I am pretty healthy all and all. No excess drink, eating or ever smoking.

I want to be able to do things like down hill ski so will remain active well beyond retirement age looking like 65 to see my youngest daughter graduate college.

I'm almost 69 and don't expect more than a couple more years, at most.

Live an unhealthy life and the quality is not there anymore. Need help even to shower these days.
Kind of lost the will to live and get old. Not asking for death either.
Would like to see my Granddaughter have a child, but that is wishful thinking on my part.
She is 18 and joining the Air Force in January.

Just bored tonight and wanted to know expectations from you all.

figure I might make another 17 years to make it to 80..
I do understand the losing interest... honestly don't care about much.
which makes us lazy.
which means we sit around more doing nothing
and inactivity is a killer.

I'm almost 69 and don't expect more than a couple more years, at most.

Live an unhealthy life and the quality is not there anymore. Need help even to shower these days.
Kind of lost the will to live and get old. Not asking for death either.
Would like to see my Granddaughter have a child, but that is wishful thinking on my part.
She is 18 and joining the Air Force in January.

Just bored tonight and wanted to know expectations from you all.
Are your issues more physical or mental leading you to think not much more life left? 69 is young my friend.

I met an old boy who said it was tough for him because he has outlived everybody he grew up with including his family and friends and now he is starting to bury their kids ..

I've witnessed the decline in death of a lot of people in my family, and rarely did one of them go quickly or easily. I don't want to spend 10 years in a recliner and on a walker, living through one health crisis and near-death experience after the next, so I'm hoping I'm gone around 80. Quality of life for the men in my family above 80 has not been good. No thanks.

Pandemic overlapped middle age for me, so it was an oh so fun time. Now I'm 47 and it's safe to assume I'm past halfway. Guessing 85, as good as any guess I guess. Gave up cigs years ago, attempt to get exercise but it's getting harder, drink too much. But maybe if I can start good habits and actually stick with them over the next few years, it won't be so bad to live to be 85?

Problem is, getting to where I hit that financial independence, until then, it's one stressful thing after another. The older I get, the more I worry; money worries have crept in and as the kids get old enough to launch, now I find I worry about them too.

I am 85 now and according to the SS statistics I have ~ 6 more yeas to live or about to 91. My parents and grand fathers lived from 83 (father who would' go to Dr. died at 83) to my great aunt Lilly at 111. I smoked heavy for many years but, quit on 8/9/2011.
Social Security statistics are a good place to start. Ed

I am 85 now and according to the SS statistics I have ~ 6 more yeas to live or about to 91. My parents and grand fathers lived from 83 (father who would' go to Dr. died at 83) to my great aunt Lilly at 111. I smoked heavy for many years but, quit on 8/9/2011.
Social Security statistics are a good place to start. Ed
111 is pretty good!
My step FIL is 98 and is still driving, but has decided to stop at 99. I talked to his doctor this spring about my FIL still driving, and he passed all the in office tests quite well... I suggested having a look at the bumpers on the car, as they are quite scuffed up...

I sometimes mountain bike with guys in their 60's and they are still pretty fast both up and down the hills, and can ride for 2 hrs at a pace I can barely keep up with and I'm 20 years younger! That really opened my eyes to how to age well, and started taking better care of myself as I could be still doing fun stuff 20-30 years more...

The average age of my grandparents when they died is 83 with only the heavy smoker not making it into their early 90's, and it would be fun to spoil some grandkids, so hopefully mid 80's.

In every decade starting from my 20's, I have lost friends. The most recent retired at 55 had his whole retirement planned. Dead 6 months later pancreatic cancer had no idea. Complained of a back ache 2 weeks after retirement blamed it on all the physical activity his was doing.

Point being we have no idea when our expiration date is set for. But the odds of making it another date are less every day.

Most of my ancestors died from infections or cancers back before screening was a thing. I think the healthy ones live to 92 and that's probably around when I would die, but in mid/late 80s likely get dementia of some sort.

Live life and don't dwell on the past. Learn from the past and move on is what my parents used to tell me. Simply put, live like your pet dog.

I'm 63 and would like another 20 years but that's out of my hands. I have CKD and have been on PD since Jan 2020. The upside is that I've lost +60lbs since May 2019, CKD isn't cancer and I feel better than I have in decades. I've also jettisoned all but 1 of 5 hypertension meds I was on. I never realized how crappy I was feeling prior to going on PD.

My father passed at 80 years old from cancer; my mother passed from natural causes at 93. Hopefully, I fall somewhere in between someplace.

Mother died many years ago at 54. She had heart issues. I've been active most of my life but had a heart attack (the dreaded 'widow maker') a few years ago. Had some stents implanted. Dad is still alive at 83. No telling when I'll pass but I figure given all circumstances and the family history....maybe another ten years. I'm 60 now and don't eat any special diet or take and meds. I figure my time will come when it comes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back