How long can I safely run this oil/filter combo?

I've got a 2006 Tacoma with the 4 cyl engine, 156K miles, not burning oil and no other known issues. I've always changed the oil and filter every 5K miles, sometimes using conventional and sometimes running whatever syn was on sale.

I'm retired now and don't enjoy getting under the truck like I used to, nor do I put as many miles on it every year, now driving about 4 - 5K per year.

Most of my trips now are short trips across town, but once a week I drive 20 miles round trip on the freeway. And 2 or 3 times a year I'll take this rig on a longer freeway drive.

My question- Can I run a premium oil and filter for an extended period of time, I mean several years? Considering Amsoil ASL and the Amsoil filter, as I'm told by my local dealer that combo is good for 25K miles.

I think, in general, most recommend changing the oil at least once a year even if the mileage is not that high.

And yes, even Amsoil recommends 25k miles, 700 hours, OR 1 year:

1617041048380.png

If you wanna push the limits, that is up to you.

In the absence of oil analysis data I do annual oil changes just to be on the safe side.

I figure old oil is nasty and oil changes are cheap enough.

Why not buy 2 of the oil analysis kits from RockAuto?

.....I'm told by my local dealer that combo is good for 25K miles.
Would this be the local Amsoil dealer or the Toyota dealer, and do they know it will be five years?

A lot of us here have gotten older or just plain don't like messing with OC's, find a local mech, no shame it that.

Last edited:
So if the oil is good for 25K and the filter is good for 25K, what's the harm in not changing it for several years?
I would run any major Full Synthetic for a year and 5000 miles plus without thinking about it twice. A Fram Tough Guard would last you two years.
I already do that, I'm trying to not change the oil for several years by using products designed to go 25K miles.

Is there any harm in doing that?

You could have fuel dilution issues with many short trips.

On my vehicles I have fumoto drain valves that can be opened by hand. I leave the oil filter (Fram Ultra) on for multiple oil changes (2-3 Oil changes in the caravan) which is about every 12-16 months and I leave the filter on my civic for two years and usually 4 oil changes (once every 6-7 months). So only when I need to remove the filter is is extra work.

Jack up the vehicle when just draining oil, flip the drain valve open and let it drain out.

Maybe you want to do that?

Personally I would skip the Amsoil.

Any synthetic oil, change it and the filter annually so long as you don't exceed 7500 miles. I have oil analyses to prove that even Walmart synthetic will go 7500 miles - including a few Mustang race car towing adventures - and still test fine.

Do you have a son, grandson, or neighborhood kid that you could teach how to change oil? Preferably one who has an interest. Then you can sit out with a lawn chair and drink and guide him. :) I agree with once a year. I might push it 14-15 months but no more, especially with so many short trips.

Just service it annually with any synthetic.
I don't think I'm getting my question across, I'll try again.

By using a premium oil and filter that's designed to go 25K miles, and given my driving parameters, is it feasible to go several years before changing the oil and filter?

And yes, I know that Amsoil recommends changing 25K or 1 year, thank you.

Nobody on this forum has tried that?

Is Pablo still around? I'm sure that he'd know if there were any pitfalls to doing this.

By using a premium oil and filter that's designed to go 25K miles, and given my driving parameters, is it feasible to go several years before changing the oil and filter?

Is Pablo still around? I'm sure that he'd know if there were any pitfalls to doing this.
Yes @Pablo is still here. I bet he can answer the question well.

I see your point. You will likely get a lot of answers, aka opinions.
My opinion is service it yearly with any synthetic. It's cheap insurance; again my opinion.
This is what I do with our beloved Tundra that sees few miles nowadays.

Good luck.

I've got a 2006 Tacoma with the 4 cyl engine, 156K miles, not burning oil and no other known issues. I've always changed the oil and filter every 5K miles, sometimes using conventional and sometimes running whatever syn was on sale.

I'm retired now and don't enjoy getting under the truck like I used to, nor do I put as many miles on it every year, now driving about 4 - 5K per year.

Most of my trips now are short trips across town, but once a week I drive 20 miles round trip on the freeway. And 2 or 3 times a year I'll take this rig on a longer freeway drive.

My question- Can I run a premium oil and filter for an extended period of time, I mean several years? Considering Amsoil ASL and the Amsoil filter, as I'm told by my local dealer that combo is good for 25K miles.
You could easily go two years IF you get the engine nice and warm when you drive it. No starting the truck to just move it a few feet when it's cold. This type of thing drives water vapor and fuel into the oil. If you are just doing only put-put trips, go a year and get the oil analyzed at 12-15 months.

You live in W WA and you aren't buying oil from me?:)

yes, it certainly is possible…going that far on the calendar, I would definitely do an oil analysis to make sure that the oil is up to it. One year and 5k? Baby food for Amsoil...and any good synthetic.

2 years and 10k, probably ok but get the UOA at 18 mos and go from there.

Back