How long can an oil filter go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all,

I'm curious and perhaps you can tell me.... The typical oil filter.....How many miles can it go before one needs to change it.

In my Chevy's I use exclusively synthetic oil (mobil 1) but use the factories Delco/GM oil filters. Now I know M1 oil can go to 10K before OCI's but how about the oil filter? Can they go just as long?

Durango

Same here, I have Mobil 1 AFE in the Uplander now with an AC Delco oil filter. In a clean engine I would only run the filter to 5000 miles because of the ecore construction.

Our old integra stated right on the engine cover that the OCI was 7500 miles and that the filter was changed every other time.

If that were food enough for 1994 and earlier tech, no reason it wouldn't work now.

That's part of the reason why I don't fear the computerized intervals used these days. If the oil can take it, the filter should too.

Originally Posted By: Durango
Hello to all,

I'm curious and perhaps you can tell me.... The typical oil filter.....How many miles can it go before one needs to change it.

In my Chevy's I use exclusively synthetic oil (mobil 1) but use the factories Delco/GM oil filters. Now I know M1 oil can go to 10K before OCI's but how about the oil filter? Can they go just as long?

Durango

What year? If it has an oil life monitor (OLM), then GM has designed their filters to go the distance that OLM says. Any good aftermarket oil filter should be able to go the OLM distance too.

Any good aftermarket filter will go 10K miles if your engine is clean inside and you're using synthetic.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Hello to all,

Durango

What year? If it has an oil life monitor (OLM), then GM has designed their filters to go the distance that OLM says. Any good aftermarket oil filter should be able to go the OLM distance too.

Any good aftermarket filter will go 10K miles if your engine is clean inside and you're using synthetic.

I'm confused. What has synthetic oil use have to do with the filter?

Anyways OP the filter change interval on a brand new,clean inside engine,in my opinion should be able to go 10000 miles. That's a plain old cellulose paper filter.
On a used vehicle it really depends on prior maintenance and the condition of the inside of the engine.
If you've got an engine that has a moderate amount of deposits and using a quality oil known for cleaning,such as pennzoil,Mobil 1 etc,then a standard filter could be loaded up by 5000 miles,so its really tough to say with any certainty just how far a filter can go.
On a used vehicle I flush the crankcase with seafoam for up to 1000 miles,change oil,using conventional rotella 15w-40,and filter with the cheapest I can find and use an idle flush.Then I do it again,paying special attention to how fast the oil is getting black. Once it gets jet black I again change oil and filter.
I keep doing it until I can run 3000 miles and the oil hasn't turned jet black yet,then I'm confident that the engine is as clean as I'm going to get it.
Then I use whatever I've got in stock and stick to a standard routine. I typically use filters for 15000 which could be a single oci or it could be up to 3 oci,it depends on whether its winter,how much city driving and extended idle times.
On a clean engine a puro or ocod should easily go 10000 miles. If the air filter is in good shape then there isn't any reason for the filter to not last that long.
You are gonna hear many say to change the filter at every oil change however doing things as I have been hasn't done me wrong yet. I've got many work vans nearing or past 400k so if my schedule was flawed I'm sure I'd know it by now.
What many chose to ignore is that a filter actually becomes more efficient,and traps smaller particles as the filter gets loaded up. So a filter with 5000 miles on it will trap smaller particles than a new filter,which in effect keeps the oil cleaner,which we all know cleaner oil means the oils is less abrasive than oil that contains larger particles.
Think of oil in terms of sandpaper. 80 grit(larger articles)leaves a rougher surface when rubbed on a surface such as steel. 300 grit(smaller particles) leaves a much smoother surface behind,almost polished
So a new oil filter allows larger particles to pass through then one with 5000 miles does,which in effect increases wear until those passages load up which traps smaller and smaller particles which translates into lessened wear.
Oil filters are like oil.They both need to break in to provide maximum protection.
These are just my opinions based on my habits that have led to all our work vehicles which run great even when mileage runs beyond 400k,running fully loaded with tools,in stop and go traffic,pounded on my employees who drive them like they belong to someone else.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Hello to all,

Durango

I'm confused. What has synthetic oil use have to do with the filter?

Nothing really ... my point was to say that engines that use full synthetic oil typically remain much cleaner inside which means you can run an oil filter longer. Also, if he's planning on 10k OCIs, he better be using full synthetic oil.

Regular oil filter change interval for my LS400 with more than 340k miles is 13-15k miles, it never had any high-end filter and the engine is still running well. I pay more attention the the air filter and intake tube, make sure that no crack/leak anywhere.

The cartridge oil filter of the E430 looked excellent after 13-14k miles, nothing I can see on the media to suggest that it can't be used for another 5-6k miles or more.

The low to mid-range oil filters can be used for 13-15k miles or more in a clean good working engine as long as it is not in extreme severe driving conditions.

Any good aftermarket filter will go 10K miles if your engine is clean inside and you're using synthetic.[/quote]

I'm confused. What has synthetic oil use have to do with the filter?[/quote]

Nothing really ... my point was to say that engines that use full synthetic oil typically remain much cleaner inside which means you can run an oil filter longer. Also, if he's planning on 10k OCIs, he better be using full synthetic oil. [/quote]

Good point. Thanks for clarifying. I didn't think of that.
I figured even at 5000 mile drains a conventional should maintain cleanliness and shouldn't affect filter longevity.
More than one way to skin a cat eh.

I figured even at 5000 mile drains a conventional should maintain cleanliness and shouldn't affect filter longevity.

True, there are some good conventional oils that keep engines clean with 5K OCIs ... for instance, Mobil Super 5000. No use using a full synthetic filter with 5K OCIs with conventional oil unless you run the filter 2 times 5K for 10K mile of total filter usage. BlueOval approves.
smile.gif

It really depends on the Brand and and tier of the oil filter and take into consideration how well you take care of your vehicle. I know from decent experience cutting open used filters that most can take more than we think. M1, K&N, Bosch D+, Wix/NAPA Gold are a few that are good for 10k+. The wire backed synthetic filters like Napa Platinum (on sale now for $7.54) and Fram Ultra can go up to 15k.

I would not go over 10K miles with even the expensive once. Although Amsoil Ea can go further.

I need to get my UOA back and see whether I need to change the filter or oil & filter in my Cummins diesel. If the oil is still good to go I will just change the filter.

I avoid the worry by simply using a Mobil1 ES Oil Filter. My engine is perfectly clean so using one for up to 10K miles + is no issue.
*Champion Laboratories oil filters are my favorite.
Also use Amsoil, Royal purple.
Best bang for the buck would be a Motorcraft oil filters on any manufacturer engine. There are cross-references out there.

True, there are some good conventional oils that keep engines clean with 5K OCIs ... for instance, Mobil Super 5000. No use using a full synthetic filter with 5K OCIs with conventional oil unless you run the filter 2 times 5K for 10K mile of total filter usage. BlueOval approves.
smile.gif

I leave my filters for at least 10000 miles on a known clean engine. So if I'm running conventional I leave the filter and drain the oil.

I think E-Cores should not be trusted past 5,000 miles. I think a blowout is too much of a possibility, making for a filter that no longer filters. The single one I have in my stash will be used last of all.

OCOD's will go from 6000 to 8000 in a pinch.

Many others can do 10,000 miles, and the best, like the Bosch Distance+ or Fram Ultra will do 15,000.

Among the ones I would always trust to 10,000 miles are the Pure One, the Bosch Premium, and any NAPA, Baldwin, or Wix filter.

I would guess at no more 7500 for Toyota original equipment filters as they have foam interiors. I think Toyota intended these for only a single oil change.

Let me know your thoughts.

With a clean engine, 10K with any standard quality filter does not need to be changed in just 10K. That's my experience since 1978.

I am tempted to run an orange can 15k and then cut it but such a long term experiment. I'd bet it'd take 18-24 months on the vehicle I have in mind.

smile.gif

Mobil Super can go further than 5000 miles. Any SN conventional can. The cleanliness of the motor before you got it, if not new, is the point of concern.

Originally Posted By: jfking106
Mobil Super can go further than 5000 miles. Any SN conventional can. The cleanliness of the motor before you got it, if not new, is the point of concern.

How long do you think Mobil Super 5000 could go in a clean motor with non-severe driving? Has anyone done UOAs to show how long it can go? Mobil only "guarantees" it to 5000 miles.

Originally Posted By: jfking106

How long do you think Mobil Super 5000 could go in a clean motor with non-severe driving? Has anyone done UOAs to show how long it can go? Mobil only "guarantees" it to 5000 miles.

Check out some UOAs from 2010FX4 on the Mobil Super.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back