How long between oil changes, with low miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2005 Pontiac Vibe (Toyota Matrix twin) It has the standard engine, same as the Toyota Corolla, 1800cc 16 valve with variable valve timing. The car has only 26K miles on it.

I am not driving much since I lost my job. I changed the oil almost 6 months ago, but it only has 2000 miles on it.

I live in Minnesota. My driving is a mix of city and freeway. I have a Scan Gauge in the car, and I always try to get it up to full operating temperature, in the winter. Sometimes I do make short trips, if I have to.

When I drive on the freeway, at least 2 times a week, I drive 1 to 3 miles to get to the freeway, and then I drive 10 to 15 miles non stop on the freeway, then another 1 to 2 miles before I stop. So the engine gets good and warmed up.

I also use an oil pan heater any time the outside temp is below about 30F, and an engine heater (frost plug) if the temp is below about 10F. Typically the scan gauge tells me the engine temp is around 50 to 60F, right after I start the car, no matter how cold it is outside.

I use Castrol dino 5W30 oil.

The oil looks only a little dirty: a bit of a very light brown color on the dipstick or white paper towel.

I normally change oil every 3K miles.

My question is: can I go until I get to 3K miles, or, since it's about 6 months, should I bite the bullet, and change the oil? Money is pretty tight right now, but I obviously want the car to last a long time.

Thanks guys.

There is no way I would change the oil in your circumstances. I'd go 5000 miles on the GTX, or one year, whatever comes first. And that's conservative. I'd probably go 7500 after the warranty was up.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
There is no way I would change the oil in your circumstances. I'd go 5000 miles on the GTX, or one year, whatever comes first. And that's conservative. I'd probably go 7500 after the warranty was up.

Agree 100%

You still have a Toyota warranty till the end of 2011 (actually with your low miles they will extend it around 6-9 months)

Sadly you need to change it ever 6 months or 5k miles whichever comes first.

Once that comes around looking at your usage (thank you for all the info!) I'd go around 9-12 months with any 5w-30 that you'd like. GTX is a EXCELLENT oil (one of my best UOAs on my Corolla was with GTX)

Take care, Bill

Or, just buy the oil and filters and keep your receipts. There is no way you are going to have an engine failure due to not changing the oil at 6 months when you are barely using the car.

Castrol GTX is a good dino oil but too expensive and rarely on sale. If you need to change oil every 6 months for warranty purpose, I would use any correct weight brand name dino that you can find on sale and/or rebate.

All oils, dino and syn, I have in my garage closets were bought on sale with rebate(s), the average cost for dino is less than $0.50/qt and less than $1.50/qt for syn.

Maybe move to a winter/spring OCI. Hopefully you will get a new job and drive more so you dont have to worry
wink.gif

Re: Bepperb and Bluestream:

Well wait a minute, I am basically in the same boat with my '06 Silverado (23k miles), ie low mileage, lots of short trips, not getting the oil warmed up, etc. When I posted the same type of question, most everyone suggested 6 month OCI with dino oil, due to probable condensation /fuel contamination.

21.gif

But the OP DOES try to get it warmed up. Has a block heater. DOES get on the freeway.

Your larger engine does not do those things IIRC...

Bill

Honor your warranty, look for sales, and don't get locked into the mindset it has to be Castrol only. All the SM conventionals out there are very good. And some can be had for cheaper than others.

Good luck finding a job.

Originally Posted By: Lightsilver
I have a 2005 Pontiac Vibe (Toyota Matrix twin)

I changed the oil almost 6 months ago, but it only has 2000 miles on it.

I live in Minnesota.

My question is: can I go until I get to 3K miles, or, since it's about 6 months, should I bite the bullet, and change the oil?

Take a look here for my UOAs of the same car with very similar OCIs (in terms of distance and time...6 months):

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1754810&page=1

These UOAs have convinced me to go 9 months or more.

Originally Posted By: Boomer01
Honor your warranty, look for sales, and don't get locked into the mindset it has to be Castrol only. All the SM conventionals out there are very good. And some can be had for cheaper than others.

Good luck finding a job.

You are right. I've been using Castrol for 35 years, and I always used to be able to buy it on sale, but not for several years, now.

I have read here that dino (and synthetic) oils are so much better than they were 20 or 30 years ago.

Even when I was working, I didn't put many miles on my car, and I still did the 'every 3K miles' oil change, the same as I did 20 or 30 years ago.

I guess I need to move into the 21st century, with every body else.

I've seen Rotella oil in 5 quart jugs for a lot less than Castrol.... and I've read here that it's a very good dino oil.

I should probably do both: go 5K between oil changes, and buy a cheaper oil. ESPECIALLY while I'm out of work...and getting REALLY familiar with Ramen noodles, and Mac and Cheese.

Off the topic: I found Kraft (the good stuff) Mac and Cheese on sale for **25 cents** a box, with a store coupon; limit of 4 boxes, during the winter.

But they had a stack of the store fliers in the store. I bought 48 boxes, in 2 trips.

You know, when you get hungry enough, even Mac and Cheese, and Ramen noodles, tastes pretty good!

Thanks for all the good advice, guys!

I have a "garage queen" that sees about the same use as yours, about 3-4K per year. When I drive it, it does get up to temp and stays there for at least an hour. I did a 1 year OCI just to see what it looked like vs. my other 6 month OCIs and it was kinda surprising.

Evidently, according to my tribologist/analyst, modern fuel additives are taking a bigger toll on oils these days, even if you don't have a dilution issue per se. Leaving the oil in sump with these newer fuel chemistry components for as long as I did, started to degrade the oil. And I do not have a dilution issue. He suggested to drive it more often (than once a week) or change the oil out at half my current OCI (which was 1 year). So back to 6 month changes as I don't see my driving habit changing anytime soon. Incidently, Castrol GTX is regular priced at Wal Mart in my neck of the woods at $13 a 5qt. jug. Not too bad, but there are other oils for less money and also scour the sale adds.

About food coupons, email manufacturers and have them send you "loyal customers coupons". I recently had to get a gift card back for $11.67 at Bi-Lo for my last shopping trip. Without coupons/2 for 1 etc.? $73.66

I have a 2005 Pontiac Vibe (Toyota Matrix twin) It has the standard engine, same as the Toyota Corolla, 1800cc 16 valve with variable valve timing. The car has only 26K miles on it.

I am not driving much since I lost my job. I changed the oil almost 6 months ago, but it only has 2000 miles on it.

I live in Minnesota. My driving is a mix of city and freeway. I have a Scan Gauge in the car, and I always try to get it up to full operating temperature, in the winter. Sometimes I do make short trips, if I have to.

When I drive on the freeway, at least 2 times a week, I drive 1 to 3 miles to get to the freeway, and then I drive 10 to 15 miles non stop on the freeway, then another 1 to 2 miles before I stop. So the engine gets good and warmed up.

I also use an oil pan heater any time the outside temp is below about 30F, and an engine heater (frost plug) if the temp is below about 10F. Typically the scan gauge tells me the engine temp is around 50 to 60F, right after I start the car, no matter how cold it is outside.

Ah .. Minnesota

The oil looks only a little dirty: a bit of a very light brown color on the dipstick or white paper towel.

My question is: can I go until I get to 3K miles, or, since it's about 6 months, should I bite the bullet, and change the oil? Money is pretty tight right now, but I obviously want the car to last a long time.

Just sitting there chemicals in your fuel carried by blowby and cold starts are working to turn yur motor oil into an acid bath.

If you want to go to one year oil changes, and not have your bearings look like swiss cheese, I would either move to a synthetic or add Lubegard Bio-Tech Engine Oil Protectant
to your existing oil.

It's nice and polar for vehicles parked a lot and driven little, and it offsets the degradation from time and fuel byproducts.

Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D

Ah .. Minnesota

Just sitting there chemicals in your fuel carried by blowby and cold starts are working to turn yur motor oil into an acid bath.

If you want to go to one year oil changes, and not have your bearings look like swiss cheese, I would either move to a synthetic or add Lubegard Bio-Tech Engine Oil Protectant
to your existing oil.

It's nice and polar for vehicles parked a lot and driven little, and it offsets the degradation from time and fuel byproducts.

Hmm...'Bio-Tech Engine Oil Protectant'.

Sounds like what STP Oil Treatment used to claim, 30 years ago, at a much higher price.

And it costs MORE than the oil I put in my car.

Remember Slik 50?

If it sounds too good to be true...it probably isn't...

Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D

Ah .. Minnesota

to your existing oil.

Sounds like what STP Oil Treatment used to claim, 30 years ago, at a much higher price.

Remember Slik 50?

Bio-Tech Engine Protectant is nothing like STP. Bio-Tech is made of esters and cleans the rings.

Also Slick 50 is still around, and there never was a Slik 50

Remember Slik 50?

STP Oil Treatment never claimed to be polar, nor did Slick 50.

STP was straightforward viscosity thickener. Slick 50 was pulverized teflon with no science behind it.

Bio-Tech Engine Oil Protectant is made by the folks who make the Lubegard transmission additive already discussed on this board many times.

The technology involves esterizing plant oils, a technology already used in the industry to produce lubricants and additives.

Thanks guys.

You can go till 3000 miles on the oil.Next time I would put Pennzoil mineral oil for similar driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back