How is DEX-COOL a "plasticizer" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The discussions about DEX-Cool with 2-EHA that is a known "plasticizer" and eats away intake gaskets have been very confusing to me.

The car has a plastic radiator cap, plastic reservoir tank, plastic parts on the radiator, plastic parts on the heater core, and dex-cool comes in a plastic jug, but none of these are leaking due to dex-cool.
Why is the plastic container of dex-cool not leaking ?

The reason is because Dex-cool 2-EHA is only a "plasticizer" to a specific type of plastic that was used on gaskets.

This web site gives detailed explanation:

http://www.imcool.com/articles/antifreeze-coolant/dexcool2007Part1-draft.htm

http://www.imcool.com/articles/antifreeze-coolant/dexcool2007Part2.php

Sorry bud, I take nothing from an article (opinion) written in Cool Profit$ Magazine as scientific proof of anything, including 2EH's alleged hazards.

Too many vehicles out there with no issues using coolant containing 2EH. That includes models with gaskets in question.

Show me a scientific study that shows significant issue(s) with 2EH, and that would go a long way towards some proof. Of course, that would mean that all the aftermarket coolant manufacturers are knowingly marketing a defective product.

No offense meant here, JMO.

sayjac,

Perhaps you did not read all the documents in the links or understand my point.

Neither myself nor the links are saying that DEX-cool destroys everything.
DEX-COOL in combination with the specific bad design of plastic/nylon intake gaskets used in GM V6 engines are proven to have a high failure rate.
The links show specific examples of GM gaskets and revised gaskets.

The links also show specific examples where dex-cool was not the cause of other problems.

The links give the specific details that show the court details about the class action suit against GM, such as below.

A DEX-COOL® Class Action lawsuit against General Motors is a definite "go" in the state of Missouri. Similar cases have been rejected in Michigan and California. The California case, however, was refiled; it’s proceeding as two separate suits. We should learn of their acceptance or rejection for certification by the Court in early to mid 2007.

Here’s an official announcement about the Missouri case against GM as provided by the attorneys for the plaintiffs:
“The GM class actions allege that Dex-Cool used in certain 1996-2000 model year 4.3 liter vehicle coolant systems results in sludge, and, that the intake manifold gaskets (IMG) used in certain models and model year GM vehicles are incompatible with Dex-Cool.

The prime complaint against GM is that DEX factory-filled cooling systems in vehicles with 3.1, 3.4, 3.8 and 4.3 liter engines are defective because DEX fails to perform as represented. More specifically, they single out the IMG of the 3.1, 3.4 and 3.8 systems as being incompatible with DEX.

For more specifics, the IMG is described as Nylon 6,6 carrier, 33% glass filled, injection molded, single silicone sealing bead. This man felt the IMG was not a good design to begin with, and then the inhibitors start attacking the weakened carrier. Evidently, because the silicone sealing bead is not molded over onto the carrier, the carrier is in direct contact with the DEX. Tie that in with no compression limiters, needed to maintain gasket integrity (see photo above), to begin with and that, according to the expert, is why the gasket is prone to fail.

Originally Posted By: carwreck
sayjac,

A DEX-COOL® Class Action lawsuit against General Motors is a definite "go" in the state of Missouri.

I wonder how far this lawsuit will go when GM goes belly up.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
is the gm intake manifold in two pieces? upper and lower?

Yes. I got a gasket set from RockAuto a few weeks ago. Pretty sure they had a picture of the gasket and you can click on it to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back