How is CC Cleaner ? Need Opinions From Some Users

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question i just noticed i have a program called CC cleaner in my computer that my I.P. guy installed how is this program?

I think it cleans things up and rewrites over certain things to delete them for good or as good as possible i know nothing is ever really deleted or private when it comes to computers and e mail but i don't do anything online that i have to be worried about..
Is CC Cleaner a good program?
I have that and McAfee live safe which is not really that good either but again if a hacker wants to hack my computer then the hacker should get a life..
On the other computers i have AVG And Kaspersky

I found it a VERY aggressive cleaner. What I didn't like about it is after installing CCleaner, if I would then install another program (such as MS Office), CCleaner without my prompting, would automatically clean out the recent files list in MS Word. If you do use it, you have to look at every single option that it wants to clean, and make sure that this is exactly what you want it to do. Other cleaner programs will simply remember what you checked last time, and do the same---that is the approach I like.

I uninstalled it after posting in their forum and realizing that nobody else there had an issue with a program like that. I can get other cleaners that will do no more than what I tell them (temp files, clean recycle bin, etc.).

If all you want is a program that cleans out temp files, recycle bin, flash cookies--you can try Moo disk cleaner. There are plenty others, but Moo is what I use.

Last edited:
I like CCleaner to clean up temp files as well as orphaned registry entries. I like it quite a bit, it's free, and doesn't drown you with ads. It also does not appear to leave anything behind that will impact a PC.

It doesn't do any sort of security work itself, but can be handy cleaning up after malware, in addition to regular housekeeping.

CCleaner is one of the good guys.

I used it to wipe all free space for a hard drive in a laptop I gave away, with 35X overwrite. I doubt my father-in-law could figure out a way to hack into my bank accounts from data fragments after a fresh Windows Vista install, but the program is free and a HDD overwrite can be done overnight.

What do you guys set your erasure complexity to?

Give it a try to see if it works for you. I haven't found it to be overly aggressive but I haven't had the instance of installing new Word software like paulri has. In my experience it goes after the temp files but has never bothered "real" files. In the years I have used it there has not been a problem removing anything it wasn't supposed to or somehow crashing the system. And that includes running registry cleaner every single time I ran CCleaner. You can have anything removed backed up that might cause a problem but, like I said, it hasn't been a problem for me. My .02.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

Anything over 3x seems to take too long but I have done 7x for work related files if I work them on my home system to make sure the loose ends are gone. Or at least as best I can.

I'm not a "power user" but I do get around my machine a bit. CCleaner is a program I usually keep onboard and use it to securely empty my recycle bin. You can change to settings for how much stuff it will clean/delete/shred when you run it; I keep it set up to clean a pretty minimal amount so as not to disrupt my usage. Like I said, I mostly use it as a secure recycling bin deleter.

CCleaner is pretty trustworthy freeware that has been around forever. I like to recommend it to users because it is free, and easy to use, and doesn't bombard you with ads. You can get pretty good performance results out of an old laptop just by running CCleaner every now and then and turning unnecessary features like Windows Aero off.

I don't go crazy with disk 'shredding'... and I wouldn't think CCleaner would be too much of an acceptable standard for that compared to other shredders if you are SUPER concerned about data security. If I need security, I go for Linux.

I recommend the software though, its pretty intuitive. Its a must-have if you have a small capacity SSD running windows.

Another great program to look into is an oldie but a goodie called WinDirStat. This software has been around forever! All it does is evaluates your hard disk, then organizes all your files in a big 'image' sorted out by file type. It really shows you, and easily so where all your precious hard drive space has gone. Really convenient way of discovering that the movie you downloaded 5 months ago is still sitting in a /temp/ directory on your C drive eating away 4 gigabytes for no good reason. Just be careful though, C/windows/System32 is there for a reason... as are a lot of things.

Depedning on your space concerns and ammount of RAM, turning hybernation and PageFile off in windows will also free up a bunch of gigabytes. Remember that you definitely need a pagefile if you have low ram. If you have 8gb, you can probably get away with not having one at all.

Last edited:
I've installed CCleaner on many computers, and use it confidently without issue. I use the default settings and don't recall ever an issue. That and Malwarebytes are two of the best programs out there.

best cleanup tool there is.there are others but they are not trustworthy.too many are dropped by other things you install and are a pain to get rid of.malware in my book.

CCleaner is good in my book. Some thoughts that come to mind:

- The standard installer may include some third party junk from Google or others, be sure to do a custom install to exclude those.

- Before you run it, look carefully through both sections of basic options on the "Cleaner" section. For example, I prefer not to have it erase any of my recent documents, etc. I run it with all the options under "Windows Explorer" unchecked.

- For your browser you may want to keep some cookies, and history, etc. In the "Options" tab there is a "Cookies" section where you indicate the cookies you want to keep. I like to keep my browsing history.

- The registry clean-up has not caused problems for me, and removal of old system restore points under "Tools" is handier than doing this through the equivalent function built into Windows.

- The "Startup" section under "Tools" is a very nice convenience.

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
Originally Posted By: gathermewool

Anything over 3x seems to take too long but I have done 7x for work related files if I work them on my home system to make sure the loose ends are gone. Or at least as best I can.

The majority of my runs are to clear up the typical buildup of junk, so I'll probably realign with you and switch to a lower number of overwrites for that. I typically set it to run over night, so time isn't the issue; however, I'd have to guess that running an excessive number of passes each time has to put more wear and tear on the hard drive.

For business use, which is only maybe a couple of times/month, I'll run it at a higher number of passes.

If I ever pass a HDD or PC on (like I've done in the past, for family) I'll wipe it with 35 passes, just so I won't feel compromised by not physically destroying the disc.

As a general rule, CCleaner is OK. Only part of it that has caused problems is the Registry Cleaner, and only a handful of times. I do like it mainly for cleaning up garbage on the hard drive.

35 passes is inane, 3 passes will erase everything totally. Use 7 passes if you have codes for missiles.

I've used CCleaner since it was released, now includes more features than it used to.

The registry cleaner is good.

Remember don't wipe free space on SSDs!

Excellent and I've used it longer than I can remember. One thing you must do is to set the cookies you want to keep or you'll be signing in to websites & forums every single time you go there.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
35 passes is inane, 3 passes will erase everything totally. Use 7 passes if you have codes for missiles.

I've used CCleaner since it was released, now includes more features than it used to.

The registry cleaner is good.

Remember don't wipe free space on SSDs!

You're probably right, but I'll continue to use 35 passes for drives I give away, since there's no reason not to, and it ensures that none of my PII and data can be retrieved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back