How important is proper oil for Screw Compressors?

How important is it to use the very expensive synthetic oil in screw compressors instead of ATF or Hydraulic oil?
What is so special about the high priced oil that justifies it's cost and use in a portable diesel compressor?

What is the generator for? How big? How often will you be using it and for how long at a time? Whats your climate?

rotary screw compressors are higher tech than simple piston ones and id use the synthetic oil for the longest life as they are finicky. "d rather just have a traditional compressor. But traditional compressors ask for basic nd sae 30 but that's basically hydraulic oil and that's what i dump in mine and she's fine after over 20 years. if i had to be conservative id say that a synthetic atf like valvoline max life would be closer to that screw compressor oil in base oil quality, viscosity and additives. i believe other rotary screw compressor manufacturers even state atf like dex merc and even power steering fluid as its hydraulic oil with anti foaming additives. i doubt that a good synthetic atf would hurt but i wouldn't use nd or regular motor oil, hydraulic oil, or power steering fluid. atf should be fine.

What is the generator for? How big? How often will you be using it and for how long at a time? Whats your climate?
I have no idea what the generator is for, or what generator you're referring to. But the compressor is a Diesel 185cfm IR tow behind. Use will vary between 20 minutes and several hours at a time for Abrasive Blasting. My climate is Upstate NY. This unit had what looked like ATF in it from prev. owner. I put R&O 32 in it to test it out after repair and it works fine but not sure I should just run the R&O in it for longer use. The lowest cost synthetic compressor 'fluid' I can find is $250 for 5 gallons. I think I need about 3 gallons.

Last edited:

Well that seems more reasonable! Thanks 4 the link.

Before any boutique oil rep tries to sell you on their high end product, ask for verifiable ROI examples where you can talk to the actual user and you can truly understand their perspective on the savings over time. Don't fall for the 'case study' fliers that the salesmen use to justify their product. Talk to users, not salesmen.

There are many great solutions for you out there at very reasonable prices. I think a link to a good Phillips product has been already listed above.

Good luck!

Before any boutique oil rep tries to sell you on their high end product, ask for verifiable ROI examples where you can talk to the actual user and you can truly understand their perspective on the savings over time. Don't fall for the 'case study' fliers that the salesmen use to justify their product. Talk to users, not salesmen.

There are many great solutions for you out there at very reasonable prices. I think a link to a good Phillips product has been already listed above.

Good luck!
I hear you and appreciate your comments. I did not just step off the bus either....lol. The P66 looks good as well as a Shell product for a few dollars more. Thanks again.

How important is it to use the very expensive synthetic oil in screw compressors instead of ATF or Hydraulic oil?
What is so special about the high priced oil that justifies it's cost and use in a portable diesel compressor?
What spec does the Manufacturer require. I see it is a IR unit now I'm curious if it specs SSR ultra.

Last edited:
What spec does the Manufacturer require. I see it is a IR unit now I'm curious if it specs SSR ultra.
I think it's a 1986 model. Here's what it says on the inside of the door panel:
Use heavy duty detergent type oil conforming to spec. MIL-L46152 Grade SAE 10W for temp range of
125 to -10. The closest manual I can find online is for 2003 units of similar type. The oil in that manual is listed as:

Preferred:
IR Pro•Tec™
Alternate:
ISO Viscosity Grade 46 with rust
and oxidation inhibitors, designed
for air compressor service

I'm betting this would be fine for this unit.
What do you think about Shell products? (In 32 weight not 46)

Last edited:
What do you think about Shell products? (In 32 weight not 46)
Yes that product should work in the application. The tech sheet has more as a 46 than a 32

Last edited:
some large rotary commpresors use the oil to cool and seal the vanes.
this puts a lot of hot air on the oil so long oxidation life is important like 10K with a PAO syn vs 2-3K hours with a mineral.
So the syn will allows 3-4 time life BEFORE oil change or sludge starts to form.

both work just big difference in maintience cost/time

Back