How I spent my afternoon today

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my dad's van was scheduled for a complete brake job on the front so I decided to go with the EBC pads and rotors. I ordered them a couple of days ago and received the package today. Needless to say I was feeling like a kid on Christmas morning and I was dieing to tackle the job and here is how it went (lame cell pictures and I kinda suck at photography)

The patient: 2008 Fiat Doblo Cargo 1.3 M-jet with 130.000Km on the ODO (avarage MPG 36.8 in case you wonder):

oqdric.jpg

Car is up and down comes the wheel...now let's see what do we have here...I have to take out the caliper and rotor:

2nai5ts.jpg

Done...now let's take a closer look at the rotor...looks kinda yukky:

dlqn44.jpg

Now let me check the inner side of the rotor...HOLLY S#*T RUSTED FLAKY BATMAN!!!! :

24g6ezd.jpg

Checking the hub condition...just some superficial rust...a couple of passes with the old trusty wire brush and all if fine and dandy:

2z6tv2s.jpg

Out come the old pads from the caliper, inspect them...about 3 mm left of friction material...not bad. Now let's see if the caliper is in good working condition and give it a clean.

264p64h.jpg

My mind drifts back to that rusted flaky rotor...look at this sucker:

2a7s9x2.jpg

The vents are almost plugged as you can see:

2z3yzrn.jpg

The new EBC rotors...nothing fancy just the OEM type...soooo shiiinnnyyyy...my preciousssss:

wl7vhx.jpg

Old and new side by side:

1z6s1fr.jpg

2cohjdu.jpg

EBC Ultimax 2 pads with the lovely break in coating. They kinda dust a tiny bit but this is a working van not a beauty queen after all :

5khngz.jpg

I like the fact that they include a small bag of copper grease in every brake pads box:

2lwt2lk.jpg

Time to get busy...that rotor is not going to mount itself back:

n47ifl.jpg

Now let's see by comparison how restricted was the air flow by the huge amount of flaky rust:

20frfqt.jpg

25k5xqg.jpg

Right side is done. Not going to bother you with the pictures from the left as the situation was pretty much identical.

Took the car afterwards for a slow test to see if there are any vibrations coming from the brakes, but none what so ever. The producer recommends a break-in of at least 200 miles of granny driving (fits my dad driving stile like a glove
grin.gif
).

Price for the job a the stealership was $380 + 24% VAT.
The way I did it $180.

What do you guys think...score or no score?
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Well done! Now, you have $200 in your pocket for important things...like beer...

+1000
01.gif

Have those discs bin on the car the entire 130.000 km? If so I think they look pretty good. No doubt it,s time to change them. But the breaking surface is still looking good without cracks and still an even surface.

Personally I clean the ventilation channels on my discs with a pressurized air and a file for The edges. For about every 300 km.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Those rotors are still in good shape by NY standards.

LOL my thoughts exactly. [censored], these would be on a used car from the dealers here.

Hello, A) REAL WORLD REACTION: Just what everybody said above.
Job well done. Money well spent. Money well saved.
A shot or two of the caliper being worked on would've been nice, but I'm not complaining.

FANTASY DEPT.: I'd love to take a glass beader or sand blaster to those old rotors and see what condition the vents were in. It's so interesting to see rust "flake" but I always wonder how deeply it ate into the metaL.

QUERY: They didn't advise a multi, hard stop brake-in process to bed the rotors, just drive easily? Interesting. Kira

Well done! Now, you have $200 in your pocket for important things...like beer...

Actually it's more than 200 after taxes and I don't drink, so I get to save it all.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
How did those rotors get so bad?

The usual wear and tear and extreme weather we get here I suppose

Originally Posted By: accent2012
That rust may be brake dust build up...

No, that was my thought first, but I probed it with the screw driver and it's plain rust

Originally Posted By: shDK
Have those discs bin on the car the entire 130.000 km? If so I think they look pretty good. No doubt it,s time to change them. But the breaking surface is still looking good without cracks and still an even surface.

Personally I clean the ventilation channels on my discs with a pressurized air and a file for The edges. For about every 300 km.

Yes, those are the rotors that the car came out of the factory with, as for blowing and cleaning them every 300 Km,you must have a lot of free time on your hands
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Kira
A shot or two of the caliper being worked on would've been nice, but I'm not complaining.

FANTASY DEPT.: I'd love to take a glass beader or sand blaster to those old rotors and see what condition the vents were in. It's so interesting to see rust "flake" but I always wonder how deeply it ate into the metaL.

QUERY: They didn't advise a multi, hard stop brake-in process to bed the rotors, just drive easily? Interesting. Kira

I have no shops close by that have a sand blaster rig or I would be tempted to do it.

As for the recommended break-in for the street pads they say about 200 miles of regular driving and then you do 6 hard breaking sessions from 60 to almost a stop in a rapid succession

Originally Posted By: Andy636

Actually it's more than 200 after taxes and I don't drink, so I get to save it all.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
How did those rotors get so bad?

The usual wear and tear and extreme weather we get here I suppose

Originally Posted By: accent2012
That rust may be brake dust build up...

No, that was my thought first, but I probed it with the screw driver and it's plain rust

Originally Posted By: shDK

Yes, those are the rotors that the car came out of the factory with, as for blowing and cleaning them every 300 Km,you must have a lot of free time on your hands
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Kira

I have no shops close by that have a sand blaster rig or I would be tempted to do it.

As for the recommended break-in for the street pads they say about 200 miles of regular driving and then you do 6 hard breaking sessions from 60 to almost a stop in a rapid succession

Year.. it would be nice with that much spare time. No my mistake. I meant 30.000 km.

i've replaced rotors maybe twice in the 204,xxx miles i've had the pilot car, when i do pads i just take a hammer and tap all of that [censored] off. seems to work more than adequately.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Andy, do they salt the roads there like they do here during winter snow?

Yes, they salt the living carp out of them and by late spring all our roads look like an artillery barrage FUBAR them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back