How harmful would switching synthetic brands be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ran out of title space, but what I really want to know is this:

How harmful is it to switch between brands of synthetic oil?

I wouldn't care too much on my beaters, but this is my 2004 Forester XT (turbo).

I would like to purchase oil that I get on sale proactively and in bulk, but I don't have the luxury of using more than one rebate at a time since I don't have any relatives.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

It doesn't hurt anything. I've changed brands almost every single oil change on my car. Running strong at almost 150k!
thumbsup2.gif

Quote:
How harmful is it to switch between brands of synthetic oil?

I switch brands all the time. My wifes Maxima has 287K miles on it and I've used just about every brand there is in it. It's still going strong.
The more money you save, the more oil you can buy!

Hasn't there been info posted here that switching can be bad? I recall reading something about a new oil's additives washing away the old oil's additive layer and it taking a while for the new oil layer to form.

I wouldn't do this too much in a turbo. Go with Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 for a good bang for the buck oil, IMO. There are several Subaru turbo uoa's around here on it.

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Go for it.

I third that.

I'm still thinking about getting some QS horsepower to use after my PP....

CHoices, choices....

I have a Subaru Forester X that's only known GTX 5W-30 for 60,000 K.4-5000 OCI's.I've been wanting to change to Amsoil.You guys may of talked me into it.

Originally Posted By: gj
I have a Subaru Forester X that's only known GTX 5W-30 for 60,000 K.4-5000 OCI's.I've been wanting to change to Amsoil.You guys may of talked me into it.

Amsoil makes quality oil, but as you probably know, go more than 4-5,000 on your OCI's.

Originally Posted By: EPHIOS
I hope WalMart put does Q Horsepower on sale. They have been discontinued.

Isn't that the rebated one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back