How good is this product?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm referring to oil, not fuel. Supplements or additives for fuel is fine, actually I run a diesel fuel supplement in my truck.

AutoRX is a cleaner/purge, as is Neutra. Not what I would consider as a "stay in the oil" supplement. A purge is also fine.

Oil "add in" supplements such as Lucas, molyslip, etc....ain't intended for a properly formulated oil. They do more harm than good.

[ March 15, 2005, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: Go_Hogs_Go ]

I'm curious about that gear oil additive, as well.
Additives can be beneficial - they can fortify and replenish anti-wear additives, modify friction characteristics, or help clean things out.
A specific engine or trans may need a little more than the oil MFR puts in. Their oils and lubes have already additives in them, and that is OK. But they don't know what you specific needs are.
Molekule at Specialty Formulations will guide you in a gear oil decision of available products, or make you what you want, but that is really rare.

I'm with mechtech. I'm not necessarily against additives, but you really need to know specifically what the additive does and it's abilities need to match a known difficiency in your exisiting manual transmission lubricant.

Without knowing the all specifics involved, you are merely playing poke-'n-hope.

Best to merely use a high quality, properly-formulated manual transmission fluid to begin with.

--- Bror Jace

Hogs, I also disagree, I use Lubegard in my C-6 tranny and it shifts smoother, and firmer, and runs cooler when towing. I also run an additive in my transfer case on my 86 F250 4x4, and I use to run an additive in both tranny 5SP & trans case on my 92 Ranger. Why because I got tired of having to change ATF EVERY 20k BECAUSE IT WAS BURNT. Ranger 5SP are being rebuilt about 100K unless you change fluid all the time, or add an additive. I stopped running engine oil additives when I started running Mobil One in everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back