How do you track service/maintenance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by MCompact
I'm old school- I have a small spiral notebook for each car to record fuel used, maintenance and repairs. Each car also has a file folder that contains receipts for maintenance/repairs and registration/insurance info.

Same here...

I guesstimate in my head. Everything is still running so it seems to work. I used to keep receipts, but gradually just stopped. My 2002 Ranger has a spreadsheet but I haven't even looked at it in years.

I do make a sticker for oil changes, usually. I have guesstimated those too.

thanks all. seems like a lot of you, like me, used to track everything but kinda stopped. i have no warranty on any of my vehicles and all of them have lousy resale value so it doesn't really matter.

98% of buyers don't care. Spreadsheets are easy to make up. Handwritten looks more believable if beaten up and inconsistent pens.

Last edited:
Steno notebook in the glove box. Recording every fillup, oil change, any other maintenance. Useful for tracking trends. If fuel mileage starts going down, time to check things out. Receipts into an envelope, also in glove box. Registration and insurance card in another envelope. Been doing this since I received my driver's license in October 1994.

I have a single sheet of paper with notes on the most recent maintenance for all my vehicles, that is how I keep on top of service intervals. I check the odometer periodically and compare it with the notes which indicate the mileage of the last service. Also I use trip meter #2 for tracking oil & filter service intervals, kind of redundant but the Tacoma has 2 trip meters, so why not.
For long-term maintenance history, I have Word documents with everything I've ever done to all my vehicles, and I make regular entries in the owner's websites (Chevy owners/Toyota owners).

For some reason I seem to keep up better with a simple log book vs. using a spread sheet. I throw all my receipts in a folder. Since the receipts show all the parts details, I see no need to duplicate that in the log book. KISS principle. `Record keeping is not something I make a hobby out of.

I'll be honest, I don't. Now that my vehicle is out of warranty, I just change and maintain certain things when it's time. I just keep a mental note of everything.

I have an Excel spreadsheet but years ago I started to make a small print out slip with date of oil change etc, mileage and when next one due and taped it on engine or plastic around it so when I open the hood these slips are reminders of when service was done last and I don't have to look at the spreadsheet etc. Do it for coolant, oil, transmission service, just a 2 inch square of paper taped to the housing .

Notebook in the garage. I like techy stuff but have no interest in using a keyboard or phone to track when I last changed a fuel filter. Just grab a pen and write it down.

All maintenance receipts get tossed in a big box of vehicle receipts.
Got a free (lifetime warranty) starter replacement out of that last year. "Hmm, didn't I put a new starter on this years ago? I bet it has a lifetime warranty on it...." Some car parts stores may track your buying history in their computer system, but some don't, and some are known to only track it for three years and then purge it, leaving you screwed if you can't find your receipt for a lifetime warranty. Would have been screwed if I didn't have the receipt in the box.

0B3D896B-9C19-439D-9D87-27ED6D2033F5.jpeg

653362B4-BBE1-4818-B8CA-C007C69FE968.jpeg

DC29F24D-35C8-422D-B231-B60FC1F0AA38.jpeg

All the shop or parts invoices go in a folder in my file cabinet.

I write the mileage/date on the garage wall with a Sharpie for oil changes and tire rotations.

I write the mileage/date on the edge of the air filters with a Sharpie upon installation.

I figure that I won't misplace the garage wall.

My dad wrote miles on the garage wall with a pencil …
3k for Amalie 30, Fram orange can, new single ply roll for the bypass … and no doubt a can of STP …
(he always gave me the STP duty while he lit a cigar, LoL)

Only thing I have to remember is when's the next oil change
I own Fords
Don't have a reason to know a mechanic ðŸ‘...œðŸ¤£

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Only thing I have to remember is when's the next oil change
I own Fords
Don't have a reason to know a mechanic ðŸ‘...œðŸ¤£

Funniest joke ever! Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back