How do you track service/maintenance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I typically have a spreadsheet in OneDrive for each of my cars, but with three of them and a busy life I can feel myself slacking. I didn't even bother to create one for the Crown Vic I just bought. For my Escape I figured I'd document every little thing for the sake of resale value but at this point I put so many miles on it every year, it's all scratched up, etc. that I don't even care anymore. I think I'm going to give up on all that and just stick to reporting my DIY oil changs on MyCARFAX and that's it. By the time I sell any of these cars the next owner isn't going to care one bit. So except for oil changes I'm done keeping track of it.

Last edited:
I don't any longer, it's all in my head. No one in my family has had to produce receipts for warranty claims. Including engine and transmission claims because you could tell from the inside of the engine/trans that it was serviced on-time. We aren't even covered by Moss-Magnuson here.

Do what you are comfortable with but I don't see the need for me.

Before that I used a spreadsheet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Excel spreadsheet with a separate tab for each vehicle.

Same here.
edit: I'm not doing it for the next owner, but for myself.

Last edited:
My newest vehicle is a 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan. It has an oil life monitor and I go strictly by it. The other three vehicles are primarily driven locally and see 4000 miles or less per year. They are all older or high mileage. They get changed once per year. Although I am debating on changing my truck's (1991 Chevy K 1500) twice per year because it sees short distance miles. 3 miles to work, three miles back. 3 times per day. The Mercury Villager has 240k miles. Will probably just change it once per year and call it good. The 98 Jeep Cherokee, will probably do once per year. Usually, will change when the weather is consistently warm.

I keep my records on my iPhone with the Notes app. I can take pictures of receipts and products like the oil and filter. It is all backed up to the iCloud.

I'm old school- I have a small spiral notebook for each car to record fuel used, maintenance and repairs. Each car also has a file folder that contains receipts for maintenance/repairs and registration/insurance info.

Note book, ball point pen. The book is 20 years old and has every gal. of gas etc since I bought the car.
Smoky

Write service/repairs down in the back of the owners manual. Potential buyers love seeing my "service records".

Print out from Excel setup to track date and miles for each car oil change, then I use good old ball point pen to write in the numbers.
Comments section for anything extra noted.
It helps a lot when you have 4 cars to service.

I write it on the radiator support with a sharpie. If I need to know when something was done, just raise the hood and look.

Big ticket items have receipts that I can pull from a file.

I used to write things down in a notebook. Didn't really keep receipts. But it was really for myself. I kept one version in a Dayrunner that I stupidly left in my car.

After that I had a small notebook. However, more recently I'll keep it on my computer. I create a new folder for each service by date. I have a small text file with the description - date, mileage, service performed, who did it, what fluids/filter used. Then I take a picture of the parts used, and one of the odometer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back