How do you select tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. construction
2. tire weight
3. tread depth
4 mileage
5. size matters

For example the tires I bought 2 weeks ago were 295/65/20 Toyo CTs on Fuel Cyclone 20 x 10" wheels.
That puts me in the; more money than brains club.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ZZman
Please put these in order of what you feel is important to you .
The options are: Price, Looks, Mileage, Performance, Noise.

For me it would be:

Price
Mileage
Noise
Performance
Looks

In order of importance:

PerformanceNoise
Looks(I take this to mean "directional or not", and it matters to me for the sake of rotation options, but if you mean purely aesthetics, this is last on the list then)
Mileage
Price

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
Michelin on the sidewall. Been using that brand since 1970 with no failures covering twelve vehicles and a million plus miles. Works for me.

I've had a half dozen or more sets of Michelins Primacy MXV4's covering 365,000 miles on my daily drivers the past 18 yrs. 2 OEM tire failures occurred very early in life at 15K and 30K miles.
And the Michelins do seem to age via UV dry cracking pretty quickly (3-6 yrs). My next set will not be Michelins.

Price
Mileage
Tire Rating AAB or higher
Performance
Noise (never had an All Season Touring Tire have a noise issue....only summer performance tires).
Looks

Last edited:
I go by reputation, reviews and independent tests. I then take into consideration what I think is a good value on which tire(s) have positive feedback. If I buy a set that I am satisfied with, I continue buying that brand until I have a reason not to.

Adhesion.
Grip.
Roadholding.
Road manners.

Bridgestone RE-71R
Michelin PS4
Michelin LTX M/S2

Got a track event this weekend. Sometimes I wear them out as quickly as possible.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by SeaJay
I trust my local trusted tire shop to recommend a set. Usually get a set for about $600 and change mounted with free rotations for the life of the tire. They suit my driving just fine.

Kinda dangerous way to go. They will recommend whatever they have in stock.

Had a tire store try to do that to me when they didn't have the Michelins I wanted in stock and tried to talk me into a cheap set of no name tires.

Actually on two occasions they did not have the recommended tire in stock, they ordered it and it came the next day. No problems with their tires in over 20 years of doing business. Not a large sample size, but it meets my criteria for risk. I trust them implicitly to give me a good set of rubber.

Performance-Mileage-Aesthetics. Not really concerned about the cost as it is all relative to the first three. I was a big fan of Michelin and have been using Nitto lately. Since the change to Nitto probably wouldn't consider Michelin again although they are good tires. My tires on the Tacoma and Tundra are over $300 a piece.

Price
performance
Looks
Noise
Mileage

If the price is low enough it'll make up for noise and mileage. Just need the tire to grip and look half decent.

Price, performance(which mileage also falls into) and looks. Another major factor is after-sales support. Which is why I primarily go to Costco despite limited selection and I will still do that with the parents.

I would buy tires from TR if I had access to a mounting/balancing setup, though it's been 10 years since I mounted and balanced a tire. I think I can wave a $50 bill and a 12-24 rack of Modelo/Corona/Negra Modelo at the local shop in a mostly Hispanic part of town if I come in with a set of new tires for install.

Performance, but price matters. I often shop a local salvage yard (two hours away) that has high turnover. You can often get tires with 70%-80% tread for half of new. A decent set of tires will last me a good three years or better because I swap out winter tires about this time of year.

Tirerack has preferred partners for tire installs in most areas that you can select from. Most disclose their install rates in advance so you know what you are paying, you have the tires shipped direct to their shop, the shops call you when they come in and you make an appointment to have them installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back