How do you run your shop vac?

JHZR2

Staff member
As some know, I have multiple properties, multiple garages, multiple places to do car work. And to keep clean.

At each place I have a shop vac. I also have a festool HEPA vac.

I usually run bags in all the vacuums, but in some ways they’re as much a pain as my past experiences messing with dumping the vac bins and cleaning the filters on the motor. I don’t really want to re-deposit or blast out fine dust, so a filter and bag seems like the best bet, but some situations where there’s a lot of cleanup, or say where more damp organic matter is involved (say, cleaning leaf litter or maple seeds from car drains), it also tends to ruin the bag if sitting in there a while…

So, how do you run your shop vacs? Bags, filters, both?

i have 3 different brands, two have filters and bags the other older one just has a filter. I just roll with the flow

Filter, and when it needs emptying, just haul outside. If I had to empty once a month I might change, but its not that often.

One vac with filter for dirt. Another with no filter and is used on rare occasions during the flooding season.

Bumping this thread. I’ve been running a large shop vac at my one fairly exposed garage location. Not tightly sealed, somsomemfine dust can blow in when it’s windy. Still keeps the cars out of the sun and rain, so it’s good.

I had been running the vac with a bag in it. The filters get really nasty if that’s all it has, and release of the dust is equally nasty.

Thing is, after maybe a year of in service, just dine outdoor dust and dirt in the bag, the inside of the drum feels wet and cold. I guess it gets some condensation or just diffused humid air that collects in there and absorbs into the bag, filter media, dust, etc.

It makes everything feel soft and ready to tear. The bag is nowhere near full.

It’s a very large shop vac. I bought it because of the “HP“ rating. I’m rethinking that. I think I want smaller, so it can use the smallest, cheapest bags, and provide reasonable filtration and good performance. Issue is that the smaller ones usually have poorer suction. ,

I don’t want a bag to explode on me. I would consider running without bag, but I think this will kick around dust more than pull it up.

Almost tempted to try one of those “bucket head” vacs with the best quality filter, no bag, just to try. At least cleaning out the bucket would be far easier than the basin on many of these shop vacs.

Don’t want to overthink this, or overspend. But would like to have convenient vacuuming capability in as simple a setup as possible.

Bumping this thread. I’ve been running a large shop vac at my one fairly exposed garage location. Not tightly sealed, somsomemfine dust can blow in when it’s windy. Still keeps the cars out of the sun and rain, so it’s good.

I had been running the vac with a bag in it. The filters get really nasty if that’s all it has, and release of the dust is equally nasty.

Thing is, after maybe a year of in service, just dine outdoor dust and dirt in the bag, the inside of the drum feels wet and cold. I guess it gets some condensation or just diffused humid air that collects in there and absorbs into the bag, filter media, dust, etc.

It makes everything feel soft and ready to tear. The bag is nowhere near full.

It’s a very large shop vac. I bought it because of the “HP“ rating. I’m rethinking that. I think I want smaller, so it can use the smallest, cheapest bags, and provide reasonable filtration and good performance. Issue is that the smaller ones usually have poorer suction. ,

I don’t want a bag to explode on me. I would consider running without bag, but I think this will kick around dust more than pull it up.

Almost tempted to try one of those “bucket head” vacs with the best quality filter, no bag, just to try. At least cleaning out the bucket would be far easier than the basin on many of these shop vacs.

Don’t want to overthink this, or overspend. But would like to have convenient vacuuming capability in as simple a setup as possible.
6 gallon actual "shop vacs" are cheap at the box stores and have a filter but no bag.
I think you can add a bag if you want but that has always seemed like a waste to me...why would I dump a bag into a bigger bag (garage trash can) when I could just dump the contents of the shopvac into the same larger bag.

• Love
Reactions: D60
Yep, just a filter that I take out and bang around inside the trash can. I rarely blow them out.

Everything I have is Milwaukee with the hard-caged filters that twist 1/4 turn to unlock. My old shop vac used to have a flag nut on a threaded post -- crude and effective but more time consuming

I never understood bags in a shop vac, but that's just me. Everyone should do what makes them happy (and ANY vacuum bag decidedly makes me UNhappy!!)

edit: in the house I do have an old Kenmore Panasonic with bags just because those old dinosaurs never die!! I can get the bags as generic Great Value from WM ;)

Last edited:
As some know, I have multiple properties, multiple garages, multiple places to do car work. And to keep clean.

At each place I have a shop vac. I also have a festool HEPA vac.

I usually run bags in all the vacuums, but in some ways they’re as much a pain as my past experiences messing with dumping the vac bins and cleaning the filters on the motor. I don’t really want to re-deposit or blast out fine dust, so a filter and bag seems like the best bet, but some situations where there’s a lot of cleanup, or say where more damp organic matter is involved (say, cleaning leaf litter or maple seeds from car drains), it also tends to ruin the bag if sitting in there a while…

So, how do you run your shop vacs? Bags, filters, both?
I have a Ryobi? If i remember correctly that has been awesome. I don't think it has a bag option but does have a wet, light dust, fine, and hepa filter option. I did pick up a re-washable filter but it doesn't have the hole in the center to hold it in place

I gave up on bags.

I just have a large DeWalt that run with the regular large filter.

Festool? Oh the wealth.
Festool is great to avoid breathing hazardous fine dust for in house projects and woodwork. Has the same bag issue if I use it outside. Not the right tool for the job.

Maybe I need to revisit the very fine and hepa type filters. IME they just get so nasty and caked up it is almost undesirable to clean them. Maybe I’ve not had the right ones yet?

I have a Ryobi? If i remember correctly that has been awesome. I don't think it has a bag option but does have a wet, light dust, fine, and hepa filter option. I did pick up a re-washable filter but it doesn't have the hole in the center to hold it in place
Corded? What filter?

I have a couple big Craftsman/ShopVac vacuums. A “Cleanstream” GoreTex filter in each. I can use them for general cleaning (auto shop) or for dust collection with woodworking. For serious woodworking dust collection - I have a 2HP Cyclone from Oneida - which has multiple 4” hoses to to table saw, router table, jointer, and planer.

Never used to use a bag in mine until I tried it just because. It basically turns the whole bag into the filter and thus saves the actual filter. I’ll never not use one now.

I used it to clean out my cold wood stove. Lots of fine ash. Sucked it all up without missing a beat.

Never used to use a bag in mine until I tried it just because. It basically turns the whole bag into the filter and thus saves the actual filter. I’ll never not use one now.

I used it to clean out my cold wood stove. Lots of fine ash. Sucked it all up without missing a beat.
Exactly. Lets the filter stay cleaner and way less mess.

I have a couple big Craftsman/ShopVac vacuums. A “Cleanstream” GoreTex filter in each. I can use them for general cleaning (auto shop) or for dust collection with woodworking. For serious woodworking dust collection - I have a 2HP Cyclone from Oneida - which has multiple 4” hoses to to table saw, router table, jointer, and planer.
Are the clean stream filters washable?

I’m generally talking about fine dust/dirt that is blown in by storms. And then can fluctuate in dampness.

I think smaller vacs are better if not collecting a LOT of material at once. My 16 gal is too big and bulky, IMO. Unfortunately the smaller ones have smaller motors and less cfm/suction.

Are the clean stream filters washable?

I’m generally talking about fine dust/dirt that is blown in by storms. And then can fluctuate in dampness.

I think smaller vacs are better if not collecting a LOT of material at once. My 16 gal is too big and bulky, IMO. Unfortunately the smaller ones have smaller motors and less cfm/suction.
They’re washable. I usually just bang them on the ground to knock the dust loose, but you can wash them.

They’re washable. I usually just bang them on the floor to knows the dust loose, but you can wash them.
The dust that blows into my one garage (sideways sliding barn doors, minor gaps, is fine. Almost like dry silt or flour. That’s why I like a bag, but if these filters can be washed it may be worth the try.

For my rough vacuuming and even when I hook my shop vac to my table saw or router table, the bags are more hassle than they are worth, FOR MY USE. I just take the lower vac tank over to my fire pit and dump the sawdust in.

The filter I run a pool filter sock on top - knock off then gently brush. Seems to last awhile plus I always have spare filters. I remove the pool filter sock and typically just replace it as I have so many.

Last edited:
I have a Harbor Freight inexpensive shop vac. I went to Home Depot and found a universal filter (looks like a K & N) for about $20.

I then recently saw a U-Tube video where you buy a swimming pool filter sock and stretch it over your filter. I purchased a pack of 5 for $10. It took a bit to pull the sock over the filter but it works great.

Keeps the bulk of the dust away from clogging the regular filter. Much easier to clean too.

Back