How do you fill the intake with smoke?

LavaRand

I have a van that's driving me crazy with small vacuum leaks. I saw online where people filled the intake with smoke so they could look for leaks. I've heard of this a few times but how do you do it?

Like in the video, I have used a cigar with success. Use a long clear plastic tube, maybe 6 feet long, to make it easier to move around.

I have a van that's driving me crazy with small vacuum leaks. I saw online where people filled the intake with smoke so they could look for leaks. I've heard of this a few times but how do you do it?
use a surgical/latex/whatever disposable glove in the intake, use the power brake booster access port for the smoke.

I made a homemade smoker out of a salsa jar, cheap solder gun from harbor freight, an old sock and some mineral oil. Works surpsingly well. I used some cheap tube from home depot and a tire valve stem so pressurize it

Like in the video, I have used a cigar with success. Use a long clear plastic tube, maybe 6 feet long, to make it easier to move around.
Worked for my BMW. I used a cheap gas station cigar though. I took it to my mechanic after finding an intake leak. He couldn’t find it with his pro grade machine and called me to get more details. He turned up the pressure and found the head was cracked. Worst case scenario of course, it’s a BMW.

Back