How Do You Convince Them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
And some people think it's irresponsible to not change the filter along with the oil...

We all have our ways of doing things and we all use the products we like, whether that's motor oil, filters, tires, computers, or, oh I don't know, sights for our Glock...
cheers3.gif

Touche'! You're absolutely correct!
thumbsup2.gif

The keys are education and conservation.
The OP should give them the link to the bitog.com forum to educate them on motor oil.
If they are not convinced and still do 3K OCI, tell them to give you the used oil and then run it on your own car for another 5K miles before dumping it. Think of it as free but usable oil for your car and you are helping the earth's environment by not dumping the oil so early.

"Always look on the bright side of life".

Your father is at least using 5w20, not saying it's too thin.

Your cousin is using the appropriate filter for his oci.

Your other cousin is using conventional oil for 5k not synthetic.

And they're all using "one filter one oci"!!!!

Originally Posted By: BalticBob
If you exchange or give gifts to your family members for birthdays or Christmas, do this....
purchase your favorite oil and filter, give it to them, and when they refuse to use it, they will give it back to you, saying something like "thanks for the thought, but I have my own ritual for oil changes" and you get the joy of giving, and get your oil and filter back!
A win-win for all !

grin.gif

+100
laugh.gif

took me awhile to get past the 3000 oci, even with M1 back in the seventies. you are not going to change your fathers mind on this.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
"Always look on the bright side of life".

Your father is at least using 5w20, not saying it's too thin.

Yeh. If you want to change anything, that might be your best shot.

Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
blue oval filter:

i haven't read the whole thread so i don't know if anyone has suggested this, but have u asked them to give you their used oil?

i would sure get some good use out of it myself!

i would run it through my home made filter set up and get many more thousand's of miles out of it.

Interesting idea, though I doubt I'd do that unless I did the oil changes myself (which the OP and/or his donors might not be up for.) Very easy to contaminate it.

Have you described your filtration setup on here? I've thought of it, but I doubt I'll ever get around to doing anything about it, partly because my mileage is so low.

I often wonder why some worry so much about what others do, if it is not affecting them directly. If I was paying the bills, then I would have standing to argue about how often a person changed their oil. Since I only have to pay for my own stuff, then I keep my ideas of how things should be done confined to my own stuff. I might mention something to someone in passing and leave it up to them to decide.

Many will use the term "wasteful' as some sort of leverage to argue for longer OCI's. Wasteful to whom? The person who does the frequent oil changes is content and has the money to pay for it. Used oil is recycled or used in other ways, so it is not "wasted". After what I see people spend money on for their vehicles that has no real benefit but to stroke their ego and impress others, the idea that someone might spend more than they need to doing frequent oil changes hardly rates a blip on the radar.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
I often wonder why some worry so much about what others do, if it is not affecting them directly. If I was paying the bills, then I would have standing to argue about how often a person changed their oil. Since I only have to pay for my own stuff, then I keep my ideas of how things should be done confined to my own stuff. I might mention something to someone in passing and leave it up to them to decide.

Many will use the term "wasteful' as some sort of leverage to argue for longer OCI's. Wasteful to whom? The person who does the frequent oil changes is content and has the money to pay for it. Used oil is recycled or used in other ways, so it is not "wasted". After what I see people spend money on for their vehicles that has no real benefit but to stroke their ego and impress others, the idea that someone might spend more than they need to doing frequent oil changes hardly rates a blip on the radar.

+1

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker

To darn reasonable and human like...

Gotta get in their face over your issues/views, it's the Donald way. New American you know ...

I only concern myself with my vehicles, and those of my elderly Parents.

At one time I was often consulted by siblings and extended family members, but not one of them bothered to listen, so now I don't worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back