How do you and your S.O handle multiple cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Focus and Escape are typically the vehicles she rotates, for me it's the truck or the bike. Or maybe I'll drive either the Focus/Escape depending on which vehicle she's in the mood for that week. They're all ours and don't worry about who's driving what.

We have two cars. One I chose, the other was chosen by the SO. They are treated and 'mine' and 'hers'. If we both go out in the same car, the nominal owner will drive it by default, unless they choose not to. Luckily we have space to park them side-by-side on the drive so either one can be taken (so we generally take our own). This is sometimes over-ridden by practical concerns; for example if one of us is taking the kids somewhere and the other is driving solo, we'll put the family in the bigger, safer car. Same goes if we need to carry a lot of stuff or put a roof load on.

Her car is a Volvo XC60.
My car is a MINI Cooper S.

Went like this: she did not like the 2015 Explorer she "had to have" … I did not like the mechanicals.
She wanted a Yukon … found better deal on 4WD Tahoe … that hers and ours for the road
I wanted a SWB regular cab before they stopped production … had to drive 135 miles to get my Z71
Funny, it does not get borrowed as much as my crew cab did, LoL

Mine has a mostly Grandma's car.Mazda 5 which she loves. Its very peppy and has a good AC and Radio. I usually drive one of my trucks. She doesn't like driving them. I maintain and clean all of them.

The S60 is hers.
The S70 was hers, but she doesn't want to drive it anymore. It's my daily driver now until the wheels fall off.
The Sierra is mine. I drive it whenever we need the cargo space. (going to the cottage in Canada, boy scout camping trips, heading out to the ski hill, hauling my bicycles around, etc)

She really only drives the truck when we're in Canada.

We each drive our "assigned" car individually, but generally take hers (I drive) when we go somewhere together unless we're hauling gear...

My wife drives the VW. It's "her car." When we do family stuff, we take that. She almost never drives the 4Runner and dislikes my Honda so never drives it.

Years ago, I used to drive her car to work because I had the longer commute and she would drive my Jeep to work.

OP, I can't even imagine your situation.

What about things you/she need for work? The things you like to have while you drive? Do you have to empty each car out each night and bring your stuff along each morning?

My car is mine. It has my tools, chargers, keys, wallet, pens, books; everything I like to keep in my car.

Her car is hers. The car seats are in there along with all the various bits and bobs that she and the family needs.

My beautiful bride gets to drive luxury...the Alfa is hers, but I get to drive it when we go out together.

She is not a fan of driving the truck, but will in a pinch...it is mostly relegated to tow pig and chores.
She loves driving the "X"...it is the "dog car" and "take the kids to sports car" and all around do dirty things car.

The Fiat is mine...she doesn't like driving stick, and quite frankly doesn't even like riding in it. Its far too harsh and loud for her tastes.

We have 5 vehicles.

My wife does 99% of her driving with the van (Sienna) for the ride height, comfort and space. On the rare occasions where the van is unavailable, she'll use my truck since it's automatic (she doesn't drive manual and doesn't wish to learn it).

Since she doesn't drive stick, she won't drive my daily driver (Echo) and week-end car (Supra). I also have an automatic '81 Tercel she could drive, but she doesn't want to be seen in it
laugh.gif

My wife and I only drive each other's vehicles when absolutely necessary...like when our daughter's car needed a state inspection and I drove down to her out of state school and left her my car (in case she needed to drive in snow since it was winter), brought her car back for my wife to take to a shop the next day, and I then drove the wife's car to work. Didn't have a storm, but I hate driving that then when it's even the slightest bit slippery.
I liked to drive my wife's Bonneville and then Avalon back when I had an underpowered Outback and her cars were peppy by comparison....my RAV6 and now FXT were/are pretty comparable in zoom zoom, though.
When my daughter's car was back home because she didn't have a parking spot her first year in college, my wife would drive it at least once a week and a lot more than that when it was snowy. I think she is finally on board to get AWD in her next vehicle...I actually drove it back from her school in a storm and was very impressed with how it performed on what I think are pretty good all seasons (RT43s), I think the tires being skinny really helped. I generally don't like driving the Impreza as it is a bit small for my big body....

In my case, we are not married at this time and we each have our own vehicle we purchased with our own money. We tend to drive the other vehicles when needed. For instance, I refuse to let the four year old in my vehicles because she makes a mess and has no respect for the interior of my cars or backs of my seats. Sometimes, she takes one of my vehicles because I need to be responsible for moving the kid around through the day.

Otherwise, my car, my financial responsibility, her car her financial responsibility and she refuses to drive my "fun" cars or either of the more normal ones more than just to and from work.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Mostly, she drives the TSX and I drive the GS.

They are all hers. Why? Because she is worth it.
They are just cars anyway.

Yep. Just unimportant objects on 4 wheels.

The Camry is hers and the Tundra is mine. We are each free to drive each others vehicles of course but adjusting the seats and mirrors are a pain. She does drive my truck a lot more than i drive her car.

My wife will never drive a manual...the Si only comes in a manual. (what are the odds??)

We have a 2 car garage, the truck is parked on the street. The Sabre is our family hauler, I maintain all the vehicles to the 9's so they never break down. All I ask is that she tells me if there are any strange driving characteristics or noises ASAP. She views a vehicle as a machine that gets from A to B and as long as it looks decent she doesn't care. When we go on family trips or just the two of us, we take the Sabre.

Last edited:
Wife drives the F350 because wife and daughter tow their Horsies around to events and get Horsie food etc.I drive the F150 because I like driving pickups better than cars.

No S.O. The cars are my S.O. They get rotated.

A mechanical version of "Sister Wives " ?

I do have a bird, however as Fred Mertz suggests "that can nag me and spend all my money".

Originally Posted by addyguy
I don't really mind what I drive. We will hang the keys by the door, and simply grab whatever can get out first, and then the other one of us takes whatever is left.

Thats not going to work. If she is a normal person, she will want her own car, set up for her, with her stuff in it. And if she is a normal girl, she is not going to want some beat down hand me down car either.

Dont know your finances, but if you can swing it, might be a better idea to have your car, and then her car, and not some beat up car either. You drive the beater if you like it, but the wife should have a nice car, if finances allow. My opinion on the matter.

Wife and I have 4 cars at the moment, although we plan on selling one. I keep the truck to use as a beater truck, and the newer cars are for commuting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back