How do the newer *Syn* oils compare these days??

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I must say I am a little behind the ball these days. I used to follow BITOG daily to read up on all of the cool stuff. I have to admit that I just spent about an hour reading through some of the forum topics, and it is a little bit more work to try to sort through everything than it used to be (just my opinion)

Get to the point...

At one point after hours and hours and this website, I picked my oil and filter combo's and that is what I stuck with. Things have changed a little bit, and I don't have extra cash burning a hole in my pocket to spend on high end Amsoil anymore, and have started shopping name brands at the local store.

One thing that I have noticed is that they keep releasing "new" oils. Castrol Syntec, or Edge, or Edge with Syntec or whatever their marketing department has going on is pretty confusion. Pennzoil Platinum is now Platinum PurePlus, Ultra is Ultra Platinum, all of the QuakerState bottles look the same, and so on.

Where do all of these oils stand these days? who is the top dog of WalMart? When I ask this, I am looking for who's specs are considered to be the best? are they all capable of extended oci? Price seems to range from about $18-30 for jug which makes me ignore the cost. A $30 jug is still less than my old SS Amsoil

Formulas would be a 0w(or)5w20 Syn as well as a 0w(or)5w30 Syn.

PUP
PP
M1
M1EP
QSUD
Edge
Edge Extended
Synpower

Just trying to make sure I'm making good choices.

Thanks

Won't let me edit, but I just wanted to add in that the PUP looks like some great stuff with PurePlus technology, and 25% cleaner pistons than M1, etc, then I read posts about loud engines, poor HTHS, fake snythetic, and so on. Followed up by M1 reformulations that may be better or worse than older formulas...uggh. Can't someone just make a good product and leave it along for a little while? It's like trying to keep up with the latest and greatest cell phones or computers.

Yeah oil choices are kind of all over the place right now, not a lot of people are fond of the Pennzoil synthetic lineup. Last year everybody was all over the old Pennzoil Ultra and all over PYB.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Yeah oil choices are kind of all over the place right now, not a lot of people are fond of the Pennzoil synthetic lineup. Last year everybody was all over the old Pennzoil Ultra and all over PYB.

So what such a huge swing from PP and PU being the popular choice to hatred?

Last year if you used anything other than MC, PYB or MS5K you were an idiot.

Now synthetics are in vogue again.

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

So what such a huge swing from PP and PU being the popular choice to hatred?
Well with the new PurePlus technology from natural gas I guess they aren't what they used to be, at least the numbers don't look so good.
I have some of the old PU stashed up, but I drive a diesel now and can't use it
cry.gif

I just baught the mobil delvac1 le5w30 for my car but having seen the numbers of the Valvoline premium I have to say in the 3000 m oil change in the conventional ?its probably the best ,as for synt? maybe valvoine but given you re still stuck with 3000 m I don't see why someone would bother

....Won't let me edit, but I just wanted to add in that the PUP looks like some great stuff with PurePlus technology, and 25% cleaner pistons than M1, etc, ....

I know, its confusing as to which to buy when you can group big-name brands together that all meet the same specifications. I'd go with PUP if you want cleaner pistons. That claim is for real. See this bitog discussion for a tour of Shell (Pennz) labs. Maybe they know what they are doing.

I just picked up 3 jugs of PUP for $40.09. This is before I started reading about it. I will for sure use it all. I just wasn't getting much positive feedback on the new formulas.

I think M1, PP, and QSUD are all excellent oils.

How long of an extended OCI are you talking about?

First of all...what can is this going in?

Would help a bit....

For example, all my Ecotecs like QSUD, so short of the beater ( which still gets whats left of the napa syn), so that is what they get...

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
First of all...what can is this going in?

Would help a bit....

For example, all my Ecotecs like QSUD, so short of the beater ( which still gets whats left of the napa syn), so that is what they get...

30w for the '06 Eclipse 3.8l v6, 20w for the '11 Ram Hemi. The VW is currently on T6 and seems to be a better fit than the Delo 400 LE 5w40 which I had in it last time.

Won't let me edit, but I just wanted to add in that the PUP looks like some great stuff with PurePlus technology, and 25% cleaner pistons than M1, etc, then I read posts about loud engines, poor HTHS, fake snythetic, and so on. Followed up by M1 reformulations that may be better or worse than older formulas...uggh. Can't someone just make a good product and leave it along for a little while? It's like trying to keep up with the latest and greatest cell phones or computers.

It sounds like your buying into the marketing spin of various aftermarket companies and the collective opinions of some posters.
There are no "poor HTHS" viscosity oils nor are there "fake synthetic" oils. Oil standards improve over time but for normal useage you'd be hard pressed to detect any performance improvement with any 5W-20 or 5W-30 synthetic over the cheapest API dino counterpart.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
... for normal useage you'd be hard pressed to detect any performance improvement with any 5W-20 or 5W-30 synthetic over the cheapest API dino counterpart.

01.gif

So I must say I am a little behind the ball these days. I used to follow BITOG daily to read up on all of the cool stuff. I have to admit that I just spent about an hour reading through some of the forum topics, and it is a little bit more work to try to sort through everything than it used to be (just my opinion)

Get to the point...

At one point after hours and hours and this website, I picked my oil and filter combo's and that is what I stuck with. Things have changed a little bit, and I don't have extra cash burning a hole in my pocket to spend on high end Amsoil anymore, and have started shopping name brands at the local store.

One thing that I have noticed is that they keep releasing "new" oils. Castrol Syntec, or Edge, or Edge with Syntec or whatever their marketing department has going on is pretty confusion. Pennzoil Platinum is now Platinum PurePlus, Ultra is Ultra Platinum, all of the QuakerState bottles look the same, and so on.

Where do all of these oils stand these days? who is the top dog of WalMart? When I ask this, I am looking for who's specs are considered to be the best? are they all capable of extended oci? Price seems to range from about $18-30 for jug which makes me ignore the cost. A $30 jug is still less than my old SS Amsoil

Formulas would be a 0w(or)5w20 Syn as well as a 0w(or)5w30 Syn.

PUP
PP
M1
M1EP
QSUD
Edge
Edge Extended
Synpower

Just trying to make sure I'm making good choices.

Thanks

Unfortunately you don't have any cars that need M1 0w40.
That's the current darling around here.
You should sell all of your cars and buy one that needs M1 0w40. I think the Chrysler Hellcat would be good for that.

Yes M1 0W-40 is the current 40 grade darling to the point that it is often used in A3/A4 30 grade applications.
But TGMO 0W-20 is also very popular when the 0W-20 grade is specified.
The obvious sol'n for 30 grade oils is a blend of these two superb oils. For an A5/B5 0W-30 a 40/60 blend respectively would be good. for an A3/B4 0W-30 a 70/30 blend would work well and for 5W-20 apps a 85/15 blend should do the trick.
There isn't a single commercially available oil that can match the viscosity characteristics of these blends.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

It sounds like your buying into the marketing spin of various aftermarket companies and the collective opinions of some posters.
There are no "poor HTHS" viscosity oils nor are there "fake synthetic" oils. Oil standards improve over time but for normal useage you'd be hard pressed to detect any performance improvement with any 5W-20 or 5W-30 synthetic over the cheapest API dino counterpart.

Not really buying into the marketing, I'm just trying to get caught up on whats out there. While there is much debate on how good your oil has to be, I am a person that normally keeps my new vehicles for at least 10 years (It is hard sometimes with all of the cool new vehicles that come out). Clark Howard says you have to own a vehicle for 10 years to get your money out of it. I'm sure his money saving smartness would say to use the cheapest available oil that meets the requirements of the vehicle also lol But that being said, I just have a better piece of mind when using a high quality oil over your entry level offerings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back