How Do Prius Do It?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Okapi77
How, in my opinion, the Prius does it.

The hybrid system spins the motor up to about 800 rpm to start the ICE. Happens almost instantly. This happens every time, including cold starts.

The ICE uses an Atkinson cycle engine so it is a low compression, low power motor.

The ICE will never see redline. I have never seen one go over 4,000 rpm.

So, low power, low stress, low speed, and easy starts.

I have worked for Toyota for almost 11 years, and have been hybrid certified for about 8. Never seen a 1.5 powered ICE fail in a Prius.

I stand corrected...thank you sir!

Plus, the journal bearings are special in stop-start and hybrid engines:

Special technology for stop-start systems

Engine components in cars with a stop-start system are designed to take higher loads. Every time the engine stops, the oil pressure drops in the engine’s lubrication system. This can lead to critical micro-friction, which can result in increased wear and thus cause corresponding consequential costs. MAHLE engineers have developed bearings with a polymer coating in which solid lubricants are embedded. This minimises wear and therefore also susceptibility to corrosion as well as premature bearing damage. These bearings are fitted exclusively in vehicles with a stop-start system. Anyone driving a vehicle not equipped with such a system should keep this in mind before switching the engine off at a red light. However, you should obviously switch the engine off during longer waiting times, for example at closed level crossings!

https://www.mahle-aftermarket.com/eu/en/...or-the-car-6777

So basically like the moly coating on piston skirts applied to journal bearings? "Solid lubricants" could mean anything from MoS2 impregnation to teflon like fluoropolymers

As stated earlier, newer Prii of all flavors do not have drive belts.
They utilize electric coolant and power steering pumps and an electric refrigerant compressor.
No external alternator either as motor/gen #2 (the smaller of the two, I believe) is also used to charge the 12V system.
This is the case for my '12 C and '16 V.
The fact that the ICE in my C is rated for a mighty 73HP also must relate to the engine longevity and long oil life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back