How do I quiet noisy lifters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1992 Mazda MPV with the 3.0 V6 (JE). These engines are known for having noisy lifters that are quite loud until the engine warms up. I have been using GC with good noise reduction, however, I can't seem to find GC in this area anymore. I would like to use a synthetic, but I find Mobil 1 does not quiet the lifters like GC. I have used additives like Valve-Medic with good results, but I would rather not use an additive. Should I go with a thicker or thinner oil? Any suggestions?

Run 2 rounds of AutoRx to clean the hydraulic lifters.

It solved my lifter problems RE: Ford Festiva + Mazda 323

p.s. DO NOT USE ANY SOLVENT type additives or flushes.

Cleaning should help.

I had a noisy lifter for about 8 months with my 2.7L V6 Acura. It was fixed after adding 3 ounces of Lube Control's LC20, the noise went away after only 30 minutes of driving.

I use synthetic motor oil, usually Mobil 1 or Royal Purple 5w30 in the engine...soon to be using GC.

Best product I've found has been Schaeffer's Neutra #131. Dump a full 12 ounce bottle in 1000 miles before an oil change, and it should take care of it.

My mother had an 89 MPV with the same engine. Those engines can take a lot of abuse. Hers dropped the timing belt twice, overheated numerous times, crazy spark knocked constantly but it still started up and ran whenever you wanted. Now, seems the hydraulic lash adjusters are the source of the problem It's a common problem in the Mazda B3 in the Festiva/Aspire as well. Anyone know what ever happened to DanTheMan (think that was his screenname)? He seemed to know a good deal about the HLA problem. Anyway, I'm pretty sure that's where your problem lies. I tried a bottle of CD2 detergent stuff in the yellow bottle, it stopped it for a few days then came back. I changed the oil and it went away for a longer period of time, still would rattle occasionally. I think it's something you gotta live with unless you feel like replacing the HLA's.

VSOT helped quiet my buddy's B6T lifters. So did Delo and Delvac 15W40. SLOB might help too?

I agree with trying some ARX. Then Castrol Syntec 5W40? M1 5W40 Truck & SUV?
And I think you can remove those lifters and clean them out?
Replacements don't cost too much either.

I have the same issue in a 95 cavalier that I'm selling. Worst valve/lifter noise I've ever heard.

I'll try AutoRx whenever it gets here, but I really don't think even that will cure it. What about a thick oil?

Any updates on the MPV?

I don't think one solution fits all cases. On my Mazda
5-30 is better than thicker for my truck but most I've read say give thicker a try and I have. You're limited by winter on what you can try other than the short OCI for ARX can give you a few quick OCIs to try thinner / thicker / more moly or whichever of the many cures we'll all recommend to you.

Quote:

I have the same issue in a 95 cavalier that I'm selling. Worst valve/lifter noise I've ever heard.

Could it be piston slap you're hearing? My 96 Sunfire makes a racket on a cold start and I'm pretty sure it's piston slap that's making the noise.

Quote:

Could it be piston slap you're hearing? My 96 Sunfire makes a racket on a cold start and I'm pretty sure it's piston slap that's making the noise.

Well it makes the noise all the time and sounds like lifters. Who knows...

Quote:

Most likely a timing chain tensioner that's worn thru its nylon shoe to bare metal. We see it all the time, and '95 seemed to be a year especially common for this problem.

Quote:

Quote:

Most likely a timing chain tensioner that's worn thru its nylon shoe to bare metal. We see it all the time, and '95 seemed to be a year especially common for this problem.

Would that sounds be loudest on a cold start then fade when the car is warmed up? I don't know if the noise in my Sunfire's engine is piston slap, lifters or that timing chain noise.

Quote:

You're talking about 95 Cavaliers right? What exactly do I have to replace to fix it? TIA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back