How do I get rid of Bamboo growing in my yard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would avoid dumping any muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) or any other chemical like that other than a hefty dose of concentrated round up.

One of our local co-ops sells a 5 gallon jug of "Eraser". Its basically a ground sterilizer and kills everything.

The cheaper way would be to get some 40 lb bags of Morton pool salt and it will do a GREAT job of killing roots, grass, etc.

Salt was used very successfully during Biblical times to kill the earth's soil and to prevent things from growing.

Originally Posted By: FiremarshalRob
I would avoid dumping any muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) or any other chemical like that other than a hefty dose of concentrated round up.

One of our local co-ops sells a 5 gallon jug of "Eraser". Its basically a ground sterilizer and kills everything.

The cheaper way would be to get some 40 lb bags of Morton pool salt and it will do a GREAT job of killing roots, grass, etc.

Salt was used very successfully during Biblical times to kill the earth's soil and to prevent things from growing.

I have some trees in that area, is the salt going to kill them as well? I don't care about grass or anything else in that area, since I keep my firewood stacked there.

The real giant panda is picky bamboo eater. If you want to get rid of bamboo you have to dig it up, every day, till there is nothing left.

Try gasoline. The old stuff worked in the 1970's. Pour it around the plant and in the center by the dirt. It should be dead within a few days. I don't know if the gas today will do the same thing. They had lead back then.

If the bamboo is to large to dig out, cut it so there is a hollow cup to pour straight roundup(48%) concentrate. Takes about 2 weeks. I'd dig what I can and use a 5% solution rate to spray on the leaf surface. Any stem large enough to hold pure roundup from cut stem I'd go with that option if it becomes to difficult to dig out.

If going with a generic brand of roundup because of cost(they're the same) makes sure you get the higher concentration as it will make a difference when trying to knock trees down rather than grass and weeds.

Originally Posted By: Mamala Bay
If the bamboo is to large to dig out, cut it so there is a hollow cup to pour straight roundup(48%) concentrate. Takes about 2 weeks. I'd dig what I can and use a 5% solution rate to spray on the leaf surface. Any stem large enough to hold pure roundup from cut stem I'd go with that option if it becomes to difficult to dig out.

If going with a generic brand of roundup because of cost(they're the same) makes sure you get the higher concentration as it will make a difference when trying to knock trees down rather than grass and weeds.

Some of those plants are 25+ feet tall. Because of the location and proximity to the fence digging them out would be extremely difficult. I can cut them low to the ground and pour something into the hollow stump. I'll get some round up and give it a try.

I did get some pool salt from a friend would pouring that into the stump kill the plants off?

I did get some pool salt from a friend would pouring that into the stump kill the plants off?

No you need a systemic that will hit the root system. Bamboo is soft tissue and will absorb quickly. I'd do it during the morning hours.

Also another method is to drill some holes in a downward angle and inject the concentrated roundup. Drill at least three feet above the base. Reason is not to drill to low is you want as much of the roundup to systemically absorb into the bamboo. I would drill tree holes below each different stem joints about 2 oz each injection.

No you need a systemic that will hit the root system. Bamboo is soft tissue and will absorb quickly. I'd do it during the morning hours.

Also another method is to drill some holes in a downward angle and inject the concentrated roundup. Drill at least three feet above the base. Reason is not to drill to low is you want as much of the roundup to systemically absorb into the bamboo. I would drill 3 holes below each different stem joints about 2 oz each injection. You can cut the bamboo down after it's dead.

Also another method is to drill some holes in a downward angle and inject the concentrated roundup. Drill at least three feet above the base. Reason is not to drill to low is you want as much of the roundup to systemically absorb into the bamboo. I would drill tree holes below each different stem joints about 2 oz each injection.

I would try the round up, if you can buy it undiluted. It kills lots of plants and shrubs with runners and lots of underground energy stores. We use it on Buckthorn, Sumac, etc, using the cut and paint the stump method. It should kill everything on your neighbors side too since it shares the root system.

Originally Posted By: paulo57509
Dang. I didn't know how hard bamboo is to kill. Concrete barrier??

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/230034/how_to_kill_running_or_clumping_bamboo.html?cat=32

How to Kill Running or Clumping Bamboo: Get Rid of Bamboo for Good, KILL BAMBOO

To kill bamboo with herbicide you will need shears, a brush and a pale of herbicide (I have heard that vinegar will work). First, cut the shoot six inches from the ground then within 15 seconds you must paint the
herbicide onto the shoot. It is important to paint the herbicide onto the shoot as soon as possible if you do not then you will not kill the bamboo. This is because the sap will retreat back down into the rhizome within 15 seconds and you want the sap to carry the herbicide with it and kill the rhizome. To kill bamboo this way you will want to have only a few shoots.

This doesn't make ANY sense....

Bamboo spreads via its shallow root system. We've had problems with it for decades. You might try removing all the soil, a foot to 15 inches deep. I know it sounds drastic, but it's the closest you can come to a sure near-cure. Then whenever a new shoot pops up- and it's almost sure that some will- cut & poison it.

I recently bought generic round up concentrate. The price is down. I bought 5 gallons for the price I paid for 2 1/2 gallons last year. The mixture I use is 4 oz. per gallon of water. I use about 30 to 45 gallons of the mixture to kill the weeds and poison ivy, sumac, etc. In the hot sun it took almost a week to kill poison ivy. If all else fails call a professional because they can buy stronger chemicals than we can.

As the other readers have said bamboo is one of the most difficult plants to get rid of. One house we bought had some. We dug the stuff up and poured straight roundup in the hole. We were thankful that it was a rather small area.

Originally Posted By: hr1940
The mixture I use is 4 oz. per gallon of water. I use about 30 to 45 gallons of the mixture to kill the weeds and poison ivy, sumac, etc. In the hot sun it took almost a week to kill poison ivy.

I've noticed that the cheaper "generic" glyphosate products don't tend to work as quickly as Roundup, but they eventually do get the job done.

A good squirt of some Dawn dish detergent in with your 4oz/gallon Roundup mixture will also help the Roundup to do its job.

The Dawn dish soap will act as a surfactant. It allows the Roundup/water mixture to "splatter" onto and "stick" to the leaves and stems of the plants, fighting the tendency to bead up and roll off, as happens with some waxy/oily plants, such as Poison ivy or Cattail.

I've been using a 4oz/gallon mixture of Roundup, with a squirt of Dawn, to kill Cattails. The Cattails have a "waxy" enough of a mostly vertical surface that the Roundup mixture alone would mostly bead up and roll off of the plant otherwise.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: hr1940
The mixture I use is 4 oz. per gallon of water. I use about 30 to 45 gallons of the mixture to kill the weeds and poison ivy, sumac, etc. In the hot sun it took almost a week to kill poison ivy.

I've noticed that the cheaper "generic" glyphosate products don't tend to work as quickly as Roundup, but they eventually do get the job done.

A good squirt of some Dawn dish detergent in with your 4oz/gallon Roundup mixture will also help the Roundup to do its job.

The Dawn dish soap will act as a surfactant. It allows the Roundup/water mixture to "splatter" onto and "stick" to the leaves and stems of the plants, fighting the tendency to bead up and roll off, as happens with some waxy/oily plants, such as Poison ivy or Cattail.

I've been using a 4oz/gallon mixture of Roundup, with a squirt of Dawn, to kill Cattails. The Cattails have a "waxy" enough of a mostly vertical surface that the Roundup mixture alone would mostly bead up and roll off of the plant otherwise.

There is enough surfactant in round up, really no reason to add any.

Caution on home usage which I believe is no higher than 2% concentrate mixture. I need to retract my statement on the round up usage on the injection and rates. You need a qualified applicator when dealing with home usage. High concentration needs PP protection and only qualified professional with proper training are authorized.

Home usage has some tough standards. I don't use any type of chemicals in my yard, I dig my weeds out and maintain a strong growing environment preventing weed infestations.

Ha... Been there and done that with an entire yard full, and I'd tried a lot of things, including using a jackhammer. Anyway, this is what worked the best: Sawzall (reciprocating saw) and Pickaxe.

Procedure:
1. Use the Sawzall to cut the bamboo as close to the ground as possible. You will go through a lot of blades.
2. Wet the ground to soften it up (preferably, do this after it has rained.
3. Use the Sawzall again to cut into the ground... You need to cut the roots, so basically, you're cutting a grid into the ground.
4. Use the Pickaxe to pull up the roots.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back