How do I get rid of Bamboo growing in my yard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi and thanks in advance,

I have bamboo growing in a corner of my yard and I don't want it. It is highly invasive, and destructive. Pulling it out because of its location is going to be tough. Aside from pulling it out Agent Orange, or Napalm [j/k] how to I get rid of it? Is there something store bought I can spray on it?

My brother has the same problem in Orlando...he's tried just about everything....but it keeps coming back from a neighbors yard.

Wish I could help....but if it is planted in a neighboring yard it will continue to intrude...unless the other party dig it all out.

It's along a fence, behind a wood pile I have, and it is in the neighbors yard as well. He's in his 80's and I don't think he cares, and he won't dig it out. All I know is it is one tough plant and can cause damage to the foundation of a house if it gets close to it. Boy does it grow fast!

Bamboo is notoriously invasive and vigorous.
You could probably try either nuclear weapons or herbicide.
I don't know how much luck you'd have digging it out, since any remnants left in the soil will generate new growth.
As long as your elderly neighbor has bamboo, you'll probably have it too.

Frank, the only way to get rid of it is to remove it all. If your neighbor will let you, dig it all out on both sides of the fence. If he won't, then all you can do is keep removing it from your side. And watch for runners, this stuff can travel 20 feet or more before erupting.

Digging it out was what I was expecting/afraid to hear. It's in a real bad spot, and would involve a lot of time. I was hoping they had something like a bionic round-up, but I had a feeling. Thanks for the replies, maybe someone has some secret technique for removal, I hope!

When I get a new place and old landscaping needs to be removed, I have my plumber bring over a baby track hoe and just dig it out, sometimes I have a tow truck yank it out, depending on what it is.

If you know someone with one a small track hoe, or can rent one and operate it, you can have that stuff out in a few minutes for probably not much money. Maybe your neighbor will split the cost.

Originally Posted By: Win
When I get a new place and old landscaping needs to be removed, I have my plumber bring over a baby track hoe and just dig it out, sometimes I have a tow truck yank it out, depending on what it is.

If you know someone with one a small track hoe, or can rent one and operate it, you can have that stuff out in a few minutes for probably not much money. Maybe your neighbor will split the cost.

In my case it would mean taking down a carport, not an easy task. My neighbors yard there is no way to get anything bigger than about 3' wide into his yard because of a basement stairway, and garage. Good idea if space allowed. Thanks!

You could purchase a roll of 3' wide (and however long you feel you may need) aluminum or corrugated metal roofing. Next, determine where the roots extend. Then dig out a deep, narrow channel as long as is needed being sure to surround the remaining roots/plant. Bury the sheeting in a perimeter along your property line. This will contain 95% of the plant and greatly help prevent it's spreading through root runners. Any stray roots that get past the barrier can just be pulled up on a weekly basis. If done correctly this technique works very well and can be used to contain any type of landscape plant that spreads via root runners.

Originally Posted By: FiremarshalRob
I wonder what a few 40 lb bags of pool salt would do to it. Spread it around real good and water it in. ???

I like the way you think, it would be worth a shot. I was thinking of sea water, I can easily get 20 gallons at a time from the boatyard. Your way is easier though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back