how do i get a towing company to tow vehicles on my property?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Owner could have a car towed at any time, but was responsible for the bill if the owner did not pick up the vehicle from the tow company.
Doesn't the tow company simply take possession (similar to a mechanic's lien) and sell the vehicle if it's not picked up after some period of time ?

Last edited:
The tow driver is required to report the car to the police. When someone calls police saying their car has been stolen the first thing they do is check against the list of repossessions and tow-aways.

You need to post warning signs, No Parking, Private Property, You're vehicle will be towed at your expense. You need to talk to your local tow company. Maybe a fee or contract written with them, Seems this issue is out of hand at the moment. Or enclose the the area and place signs. You need a warning system first, possible legal problems against you, even if you're right. Go to Home Depot or Lowes and get started with signs, then go to local tow company and sit down with manager, don't call.

Will local laws support you informing offenders they are trespassing, and if they do it again have them arrested? The police may not come out for the Civil offense of parking violations, but if you record video of you notifying someone they are trespassing, and they repeat, that's a criminal offense.
I don't recommend what a highly retaliatory person like myself might do. I'm pretty sure the first guy that ignored my request not to park there did not own enough spare tires to get under way the next time he needed his car. I'm always forgiving of a first offense, not so much a second.

Car has to be declared abandoned....
Or if in a no parking zone..
Or if there are expired tags or inspection or something maybe..

Reading about how different states handle this is interesting.

Just as an aside, on YouTube there is a series of vids called Parking Revenge by towtrucker. Based in Atlanta, he does videos of his daily work, mostly involved with large apartment complexes.

Not saying these will help you with your situation, but after watching a few you will get the importance of doing everything 'by the book'. Know your local laws.

Everyone parking illegally thinks their situation is special, and you have no right to tow their vehicle. Things can get dicey at times. Best wishes getting this resolved.

Doesn't the tow company simply take possession (similar to a mechanic's lien) and sell the vehicle if it's not picked up after some period of time ?

There is a civil process to do this. Mechanic's Lien is what happens for most tow companies I worked with. It is the simplest route. The majority of them have a "dismantler's" license as well. It's a whole process and the law really is crazy on this. At least in NY.

It's his property so he can declare it "No parking". So that's covered.... Of course what you cite may be applicable to your state or locality and have no resemblance to the rules where the OP lives.
That is most likely the case.

I know about on-streer parking vs private, or at least I think I do, it is obvious that parked on the street in front of your house is not "your" parking, the private vs public laws may vary widely from state to state.. I am most familiar with essentially the there is no private parking if you can drive onto the property argument. I am agreeing with you.

There is a civil process to do this. Mechanic's Lien is what happens for most tow companies I worked with. It is the simplest route. The majority of them have a "dismantler's" license as well. It's a whole process and the law really is crazy on this. At least in NY.
I can cite you a locale where law had to be changed as tow company would basically steal (tow) a car, hide it for 90 ? days, run an ad in paper in farthest County in the state, have the car.

That is why I had said.. this can probably vary very widely, and what you and I know as far as procedure may not be the same - at all - in another, echoing what @Hall said.

Will local laws support you informing offenders they are trespassing, and if they do it again have them arrested? The police may not come out for the Civil offense of parking violations, but if you record video of you notifying someone they are trespassing, and they repeat, that's a criminal offense.
I don't recommend what a highly retaliatory person like myself might do. I'm pretty sure the first guy that ignored my request not to park there did not own enough spare tires to get under way the next time he needed his car. I'm always forgiving of a first offense, not so much a second.

Not sure of your area. Where I worked the owner had to serve the offender with a written trespass notice signed by the owner or person in control of the property. Often a store would call police due to a shoplifter. Since police were there we would serve the written notice on behalf of the business. After that point a simple trespass arrest could be made. Violation in NY, not a crime but it is an arrest and court fees and often a fine. The financial hit is what matters.

I can cite you a locale where law had to be changed as tow company would basically steal (tow) a car, hide it for 90 ? days, run an ad in paper in farthest County in the state, have the car.

That is why I had said.. this can probably vary very widely, and what you and I know as far as procedure may not be the same - at all - in another, echoing what @Hall said.

Oh heck yes! In my citi there was a tow driver who would hawk a local shopping center that strictly enforced parking in their lot and not patronizing a store there. He would yank em all the time.

If you put up signs, get the spelling right.
You need to post warning signs, No Parking, Private Property, You're vehicle will be towed at your expense.
Should be "No Parking, Private Property, Your vehicle will be towed at your risk and expense"

For the record "you're" is a contraction of "you are". Read the warning with "you are" and it doesn't make sense.

Oh heck yes! In my citi there was a tow driver who would hawk a local shopping center that strictly enforced parking in their lot and not patronizing a store there. He would yank em all the time.
Kinda wonder if it was CAMCAR in Columbus Ohio watching McDonald's parking lot from High St.

Never failed, people would park in handicap or a spot, and either walk in or walk across street or off McDonald's property to go to bank. They would come back and their car would be hooked..

Hook No Tow is from $90 to $120...

If you put up signs, get the spelling right.

Should be "No Parking, Private Property, Your vehicle will be towed at your risk and expense"

For the record "you're" is a contraction of "you are". Read the warning with "you are" and it doesn't make sense.
They also sell tyres.

Been through this, here is what the law is in Nebraska.

A vehicle parked in a restricted parking lot without proper authorization is subject to towing at the request of the owner or tenant from whom parking permission should have been obtained.

The restricted parking lot must have signs readily visible stating the parking lot restrictions, the hours for restricted parking and who to contact for information regarding a towed vehicle.

Once the vehicle has been towed, the tower is required to notify local law enforcement within twenty-four (24) hours of the license number of the vehicle and every thirty (30) days thereafter while the vehicle is in the tower's possession.

If, after a minimum of ninety (90) days, the vehicle remains unclaimed and still in the tower's possession, the tower may proceed with a Storage-Repair Lien to recover any fees owed.

Last edited:
Kinda wonder if it was CAMCAR in Columbus Ohio watching McDonald's parking lot from High St.

Never failed, people would park in handicap or a spot, and either walk in or walk across street or off McDonald's property to go to bank. They would come back and their car would be hooked..

Hook No Tow is from $90 to $120...

No, it is in NY. Daytime tow for a passenger vehicle is $180; night tow $250.

Spike strips

Actung Minen.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back