How do I add bypass filter to small engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you install a bypass filter on a small engine that does not use a filter or one that does not have an oil pump?

What's this on? Some small engines have optional filter setups depending on what they're installed on. Now if it's a 5 ph B&S ..no.

As **** says you can rig a off line system. You don't even need a pump. Just setup a gravity feed system. A couple of members have done this.

If the engine has no oil pump you have to add an electric pump. If the engine has a full flow filter like my Kohlers I install a filter using a Perma-Cool sandwich adapter. If the engine has an oil pressure gauge you can tee off at the oil pressure poing and return the clean oil to the drain plug.

Ralph
burnout.gif

My wife's riding lawn mower has a filter on the side. I just changed the filter and replaced it with something a bit bigger than the puny Briggs&Straton filter that came on it. She's run most of the summer on this OEM oil and I put in Mobil1 10-30 EP for now. But, I guess with a sandwich adapter I could put on a bypass on that 20 hp B&S.
Vern

Getting dirt out of the oil is a worthy venture.

Preventing a lot of dirt from getting there in the first place should not be overlooked. For example, with lawn tractors the stock air filter setups sure do get dirty in a hurry. Anyone found a better setup than the stock air filters? I guess I'm thnking along the lines of an induction kit with a big K&N + foam prefilter. Overkill for sure, but that's why we are here
smile.gif

(out on a moonlight date)

"The fan belt is broken"

"What shall we do?"

"Take off your panty hose"

"Oh! Sure! Womanizer! Slap!"

I work for a power equipment company in New York and I became a Frantz dealer recently. We can install a Frantz filter on just about any piece of equipment that has an oil pump with a presure lube system. It's just a matter of finding the right fittings and adapters. Some of the motors have pipe pulgs in the block that you can take presure off of. One thing to keep in mind is , I had to make my own restrictor oriffice so I could regulate the flow of oil through the filter, since most of these motors hold less than 2 qts. of oil I think that flowing 1/4 of a qt. per minute is more than enough for this application. Let me know if you need help figuring out an install. Also I may be able to supply you with the nessary fittings for the install. Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back