How different are today's cars from 90s cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the case of my 2011 Jeep Wrangler, very little has changed. Extra airbag, 17" tires? Stability control? 4 wheel discs? Engine and trans are straight out of the nineties, axles are straight out of the 70s.

Way more safety features, more power, much larger tires, same or better gas mileage:

1994 Honda Accord base 2 door 5 spd

manual windows
no A/C
manual locks
manual mirrors
AM/FM cassette with 4 speakers
14" Steel wheels with 185/70R14 tires
no ABS
driver and passenger airbags

25/31 City/Hwy

2.2 litre, 16 valve, 130 hp

Curb Weight 3050 lbs

1994 price = $15,000 USD

Inflation since 1994 = 40%

Price in 2011 dollars = $21,000 USD

2012 Honda Accord base 2 dr 5 sp

power windows
A/C
power locks with keyless entry
power mirrors

160-Watt AM/FM/6-Disc In-Dash Audio System with 6 Speakers, USB, Speed sensitive volume, Aux/MP3

17" Alloy wheels with 225/50R17 tires
tire pressure monitoring
ABS with brake assist
traction and stability control
driver and passenger 2 stage airbags
side airbags and side curtain airbags
seatbelt tensioning

23/32 City/Hwy

2.4 litre, 190 hp

Curb Weight 3184 lbs

price = $23,000 USD

Originally Posted By: mva
Way more safety features, more power, much larger tires, same or better gas mileage:

1994 Honda Accord base 2 door 5 spd

manual windows
no A/C
manual locks
manual mirrors
AM/FM cassette with 4 speakers
14" Steel wheels with 185/70R14 tires
no ABS
driver and passenger airbags

25/31 City/Hwy

2.2 litre, 16 valve, 130 hp

Curb Weight 3050 lbs

1994 price = $15,000 USD

Inflation since 1994 = 40%

Price in 2011 dollars = $21,000 USD

2012 Honda Accord base 2 dr 5 sp

power windows
A/C
power locks with keyless entry
power mirrors

160-Watt AM/FM/6-Disc In-Dash Audio System with 6 Speakers, USB, Speed sensitive volume, Aux/MP3

17" Alloy wheels with 225/50R17 tires
tire pressure monitoring
ABS with brake assist
traction and stability control
driver and passenger 2 stage airbags
side airbags and side curtain airbags
seatbelt tensioning

23/32 City/Hwy

2.4 litre, 190 hp

Curb Weight 3184 lbs

price = $23,000 USD

A big this.

Last edited:
OBD II came in the mid 90's. I remember pulling the floor mats up on my '88 Civic to interpret blinking lights.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
From an ownership perspective, what is it like to own a modern, 2010+ car, as compared to a mid '90s car? What are your impressions?
To those who have made the jump, what was it like? Is your life a lot better now?

Thanks for your input
smile.gif

Total night and day difference.

I think what bugs me the most about todays cars is all of the electronics. Not afraid of them because I am a mechanic and understand what they do and how to fix them if I can. Many require the manufacturers scanner to activate items such as sensors and modules to work with the vehicle. What bothers me is stepping on the gas and having the car decide if it should go, or if it would be better for emissions if it did not go yet or maybe just decide to go later as other vehicles are coming right at me in traffic. Or on manual cars revving up the engine and releasing the clutch to take off faster and the car will drop the rpm back to 800 and buck away because it is probably better for emissions is not a fun thing. I think these new cars have become too artificial. Seriously looking for a decent condition 90's car that will go when you step on it. I will admit maybe these newer cars have better economy and less maintenance in some cases but I really do feel the older cars drove better for those of us who like to have the car actually do what we tell it to do. That and the old vacuum controlled cruise control did not constantly downshift to make sure you do not go 1/2MPH under the speed it was set for. Kinda takes away any possibility of fuel economy improvement by using cruise. I personally would not get bent out of shape if the car lost 3 mph uphill with the cruise set. But at 4 bucks a gallon I hate having the car screaming at 4k RPM to make sure I do not go below 55 under any circumstances. Just does not make any sense to me.

Originally Posted By: 95busa
In the case of my 2011 Jeep Wrangler, very little has changed. Extra airbag, 17" tires? Stability control? 4 wheel discs? Engine and trans are straight out of the nineties, axles are straight out of the 70s.

I think that's a good point. A lot of it depends on the vehicle. Wranglers don't change a lot. Neither do Town Cars. My 1990 wasn't terribly different in feel from my brother's 2000+ model. Other vehicles have changed a huge amount.

I think power has changed significantly, with American cars catching up in the smaller motors now. My 1990 Town Car had the 5.0 L with around 165 hp. The 1991 Audi Turbo had a 2.2 L with about the same hp. The G37 has 330 hp out of 3.7 L. I think people are simply expecting better performance out of their vehicles.

Tire and wheel sizes have certainly changed.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
The cars these days have too much [censored] on them. It's gonna be interesting to see what happens to these vehicles in 10 years. Some of these vehicles have 4 catalytic converters on them.

Times eleventy billion!

Once that warranty runs out it is going to cost folks a small fortune to repair them . The electronics are the biggest weakness of all.

Cars are becoming throw-away appliances. People are replacing them with new ones because they're too expensive to repair. Kind of like PCs or TVs. Everyone wants to keep up with the Joneses and wants the latest and greatest. Alas, most people can't really afford to do that, but they do it anyway. After all, it's just "another monthly payment"... Nevermind that I'll be making it for additional XX months... And then we get into this mess in which we are now...

front row (driver, passenger) bench seating?

When did these get "phased out"? Oh I love my "nice comfy couch" me and the lady can sprawl out across the seat late at night, windows down, breeze blowing through the window(s) :p

Very hard to "cuddle" in the front driver/passenger seat, with a gear shift/console in the middle :p

Are there any cars still made with bench seating in the front?

Originally Posted By: ahoier

Probably not many due to current passenger safety regulations.

One thing that nobody use or see or smell but a big improvement of newer cars is emission. Many 2011-2012 cars emit less than 50% of the '90 cars.

My 95 Accord had a very good quality interior. Everything was soft to the touch, and no squeaks and rattles after over 10 years. It had stepper motors to actuate HVAC flaps and all buttons just felt solid, but soft when you pushed them.

When I sat in the new Accord or Camry, that feeling of quality was no where to be found. Yes the interiors looked nicer, or should I say more modern, and were loaded with gadgets, but when I touched the materials the quality wasn't there.

On the other hand my 92 Corsica had a terrible interior that I hated every time I sat in the car.

Overall I think that the major leap in today's cars is the gadgetry and options. We have "basic" econoboxes stuffed with technology that was only available in luxury cars of 90s, but the overall built quality and materials stayed about the same. We still have cars that have nice interiors and ones that are made of tupperware materials.

The engines did come a long way, though. A lot of 4 cylinder engines feel like V6s making similar power at lower fuel consumption. Too bad a lot of that progress is hampered by weight and emission systems.

Originally Posted By: ahoier
front row (driver, passenger) bench seating?

When did these get "phased out"? Oh I love my "nice comfy couch" me and the lady can sprawl out across the seat late at night, windows down, breeze blowing through the window(s) :p

Very hard to "cuddle" in the front driver/passenger seat, with a gear shift/console in the middle :p

There is a very simple solution... move to the back seat
grin.gif

I'll tell you how different they are. Today's cars pack in everything you might think you want in a car(ie make it a portable home) where as 90's cars for the most part were cars for transportation not living in.

Example: The new Hyundai Equu has a massage chair in the rear seat with power foot rest..REALLY?

I don't really find my 90's car to be all that bad, it has better or equal hp to weight compared to most sub or compact cars today. Mac struts all round like most cars now. A USB deck is $140 these days. An ultra gauge is $50 which replaces any fancy dash functions.
I don't know what a new car would do for me in practical terms? I listen to the stereo and drive places, a new car would do that with a bit less road noise I guess. I find the "highline" interior fine, about equal to new base model compacts atleast.
Really I only see safety features as the big advancement in 20 years, but if you get into a head on with a large pickup or SUV, a new small car isn't going to work miracles, but you might have an open casket though... With my car not as likely.

If I could find a 94 DOHC Mazda Protege in good shape, I'd be happy with that compared to a new Mazda3, the Protege might fractionally slower in autocross and a little louder on the highway but for $3k vs $20K, I can live with that.

Generally less scheduled maintenance requirements in modern cars.

I cannot compare my 95 Civic coupe that felt tinny then to my 2007 Acura MDX overloaded with technology.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
From an ownership perspective, what is it like to own a modern, 2010+ car, as compared to a mid '90s car? What are your impressions?
To those who have made the jump, what was it like? Is your life a lot better now?

Thanks for your input
smile.gif

Except for Honda, all of today's automatic transmissions hold up MUCH better than in the 90s. IMO that's 90% due to better torque management logic enabled by electronically controlled throttles (this allows the PCM to reduce the stress on the transmission during shifts by many orders of magnitude by partly closing the throttle) and the remaining 10% is due to minor improvements in transmission hardware. Honda has just gone entirely the wrong direction on automatics.

I'd say that other than that, there's really little difference life expectancy or maintenance wise. The next biggest difference to me is again related to electronic throttles. I've driven close to a million miles in vehicles with a hard cable linking the gas pedal to the throttle butterflies. Electronic throttle has a noticeable lag between foot movement and the engine responding. I stop noticing it within a few minutes, but when I first get in a new car its the first thing that grabs my attention. If I had never driven an older car I probably wouldn't notice it at all.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Me,I HATE the interiors of today`s cars with a passion! They`re all made from the cheapest plastic on the planet,and all look the same.

Compared to WHAT? I've sat in 90s cars, and spent a lot of time in a cavalier. Granted, that's a cavalier, and you don't need to tell me how horrible they are. But I cannot say that I've ever been anything more than unimpressed with the materials in any 90s auto. As far as design, that is false as well.

I disagree, and I think you're looking at 90s cars that are WAY past their prime and comparing them directly to modern cars.

My wife and I bought a brand new 1993 Eagle Vision TSi in March of 1993. It was a mid-level option car and didn't have the top-of-the-line interior and I can assure you that its interior, both in appearance and quality, were orders of magnitude better than most cars today. For one thing, it was neither gray nor black. The plastics were textured, the cloth on the seats lasted through a toddler and 250,000 miles before they even began to look shabby (and they NEVER tore). I have to agree that modern car interiors pretty much suck rope compared to the 90s, and the 90s sucked rope compared to the 60s when there were so many vibrant colors, styles, and materials to choose from.

Would I go back in time to buy another LH car instead of a 2011 Charger? No, because rear-drive, a transmission that lasts the life of the car, and a v8 trumps all :) But the interior WAS better. And its not just a modern Chrysler thing, I think all of the mfgrs. have gone bland with interior colors and styles.

Originally Posted By: Nick R

It's true. Modern, mid 2 Liter I-4s make more power than most 3.4-4.0L V6s from the 90s, and more than most big block V8s from the 60s and 70s.

Well, you overstate a little (it generally takes a v6 to make big-block rated power), but ratings can be illusory too. A modern 5.7 Hemi makes more paper horsepower than my '69 440 (375Hp/390Tq- nevermind that the rating methods have changed many times too), but the delivery is completely different. Stoplight to stoplight, a quick burst of power for a lane change, last minute entrance ramp blast, under those conditions even a 6.1L SRT-8 can't always top a healthy big-block. Now the modern engine/tranny combo CAN win a quarter mile, top speed, gets better mileage (by far,) pollutes less, and has better cold-morning manners, doesn't eat premium fuel, etc. I'm no luddite ;-) But nothing can put a big S-eating grin on a driver's face like the instant off-idle neck snap and richter-scale violence of a carbureted big block. If you've never experienced it, you should.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back