How deep of a puncture can a tire take?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sxg6
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.

From what I understand Subaru says that all four tires must be within 2/32" of each other, or the total circumference of the tires must be within 1/4", which apparently equals out to 2/32". Since my tires are worn around 3/32", it sounds like my only replacement options would be 1 new tire that has been shaved down, or four new tires.

Being the type of person who worries a lot, I was really leaning towards replacing the tire, and not continuing to use this tire. Unfortunately this happened two days after DTD's ebay sale ended
frown.gif

So I think I am probably going to buy four new tires that are the same as the ones I have now, and hang on to the three partially worn tires in case something like this happens again.

I'm a bit skeptical. They do include a compact spare in models that don't have a front-wheel drive fuse. Also - manufacturing variations can often create more than a 1/4" circumference variation - even with tires with the same date code.

I agree with you. The thing is, I would much rather spend $300-$400 on tires to play it safe, versus twice or three times that amount on something like a center differential, or whatever it is that could break from the uneven tire wear.

I figured driving on the compact spare was ok because that's temporary. I didn't know that there were circumference variations among tires that are the same model though.

Originally Posted By: sxg6
I agree with you. The thing is, I would much rather spend $300-$400 on tires to play it safe, versus twice or three times that amount on something like a center differential, or whatever it is that could break from the uneven tire wear.

I figured driving on the compact spare was ok because that's temporary. I didn't know that there were circumference variations among tires that are the same model though.

I had a puncture near the sidewall and managed to get a shop to patch it, but only since I was ordering a new set of tires. I had some funky wear on these tires, but maybe they could have been salvaged if I could get a tire. The shop's owner said that maybe it would work if I could get one new tire shaved. He said he's sent one tire out for shaving for maybe $30.

However, shaving isn't perfect. Does it really match the traction or even the wear pattern of the existing tires? Dynamic tire circumference isn't really all that exact anyways given things like different inflation pressures, etc.

Black_Thunder - I have sold a couple used tires in the past, that is something I am considering. However like I said I worry a lot, and I think what if the tire somehow gets damaged when being removed from the rim, and I sell it not knowing this or being able to see the damage. Not really sure what could happen when removing the tire, but last time I sold a used tire on ebay I only got like $20 or $30 for it, so that's what has me up in the air about selling a used tire again.

y_p_w - I would really like to get a tire shaved since that's the cheapest option, and allows me to still use my three good tires. But like you said, tire shaving doesn't seem perfect to me. I don't know much about tire shaving, I wonder is it safe to do to all tires? Will the shaving be uniform? Does it even matter if the shaving is uniform or perfect? The sensible part of me says yes, it must be perfectly safe to use a professionally shaved tire, I don't think tirerack would offer this service is there were any doubts. But for me it's just a fear of something I don't understand, or have experience with.

Critic - I really appreciate capriracer's reply, I always enjoy hearing his input with all his years of experience. He specifically addressed one of the lingering questions in my mind, the amount of rubber there is over the top tire belt.

I have a WRX myself, and I've dealt with two "unrepairable" tires - the aforementioned patched tire (for less than two weeks while the new tires were shipped) and a freeway-speed shredded tire. On the former I was OK with trying a new set of tires. With the latter the shop did exercise the road hazard warranty and was willing to put on a new tire since it was under the Subaru guideline. Even so, they defaulted to the "put the new tire at the rear" even though with use the fronts were going to wear down faster. I insisted they put it on the front. So I guess tire shops are funny that way.

Wife hit a spike in the matrix going 90mph.

Nail stayed in the tire, she drove it home 20 miles

TPS light came on as she got a block away from the house.

Tire was down 5psi of air, nail was about 1/2 inch from the sidewall.

NTB said replace the tire, that is what I did.

Why take chances by patching a 75 dollar tire, I bought two tires, and they put the new tires on the front, and moved the goodyears to the back.

Their house brand tire looks like it is better construction than the goodyears, has a better warranty, a better speed rating, and a better wear rating.

For all the OCD people out there. You could have many holes in your tires just short of the inner liner, and you would never know it. Sometimes you just have to "let it go" I have seen many tires that would be better off if you just left the nail in it, and added air when needed. Otherwise you just have to pay up when you are concerned. I know from repairing some tires, it would have been better to just put a patch on, instead of trying to do it the recommended way to drill out the curved injury from a bent nail. You end up with a couple extra holes doing it the to the RMA methods.

Originally Posted By: JustinH

Why take chances by patching a 75 dollar tire, I bought two tires, and they put the new tires on the front, and moved the goodyears to the back.

to save money perhaps?

ever have to replace a half worn tire on an AWD vehicle? if its repairable I'd rather repair it then buy a new set of tires every time i get a simple puncture.

if its deemed repairable so be it, but to replace a tire every time its puncture seems very unnecessary.

if a qualified person does the repair, there should be no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back